Bouncing Off The Walls

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pookieruth, Sep 28, 2006.

1. pookieruth

pookieruth New Member

Literally! My balance has been off kilter all week and I keep bumping into things. Ouch! Speaking of "ouch" it's not been a great week pain wise either. Boy do I have a list of complaints when I see my doctor next week!!

Here's hoping for a better tomorrow!
    Lee
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

My balance has been a little shakey lately too. Good thing I live in a small apt. I'm usually near a wall.

It's no problem. Can't help but wonder tho, is it going to get worse.
  3. sues1

sues1 New Member

I used to run more than walk up and down steps. I got so I could not do that. I also fell down the steps a few times. I realized that I had this habit of stepping on the next step with the tip of my toes and just a little of my foot.

I now use the whole step, I place my foot solidly on each step and wait until I do the same with the other foot before I go further. Makes a huge difference.

Also my ankles will give out on me unannounced, no warning or sense that my ankle is going to "go". It sort of gives out and I have a sharp pain at the same time.

So I do not do steps any more than I have to. Nor use ladders or stools....etc. We just have to retrain ourselfs.

As I get out of my car I leave my purse on the seat and make sure I have both feet out. After I stand I reach in for my purse. Getting out of the car with anything in our hands can make you unbalanced.

Same with walking on even floors. I now walk slow, "a old ladys walk", even if I do not feel it is necessary. I think it keeps me from sudden falls. I try to put safety first. But I still have my times for sure!

Blessings......Susan
    [This Message was Edited on 09/29/2006]
  4. pookieruth

pookieruth New Member

for your replies! I weighed 300lbs most of my adult life - a couple years ago I got mad and lost 150 by walking. This fibro has sure changed that! I love to walk in the woods, but am afraid of falling now. Also walking hurts my shoulders and neck. Any yes, I have gained back a ton, and hate myself for it.

No more excuses, no more junk food. This IS IT!!!
    Lee