Bowel Cramping w/o change in bowel habits...???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by suz9601, Sep 28, 2006.

1. suz9601

suz9601 Member

I have had this daily bowel cramping (it is not related to bowel movements, meaning it doesnt get better/worse after movement) for over a month now. It started w/diarrhea one day and then my bowels went back to normal and I have only had diarrhea 3 times since...I have had stool cultures and CT scan and taken Bactrim for a week, nothing helps it.

Can you have bowel cramping w/Irritable bowel syndrome without bowel changes? It seems strange to have this pain/cramping w/o diarrhea or constipation...I know it is coming from my colon/bowels cause of how it started...

Any ideas?
    Is there anything natural to take for this cramping? Thanks so much.
  2. Bruin63

Bruin63 Member

I find my pain is usually caused by my eating something, I shouldn't.
    Like Ice Cream or Chocolate.

When I do indulge, I pay the next day, with cramping and bloating.

I have had IBS all my life, and I have learned, a few tricks to help relieve the pain.

One is the old fashioned Hot water bottle, or take a wet Handtowel, and micro it for about 1 min. Wrap it in a Bathtowel.

I then lay on the bed on my leftside, and put a pillow, with the Hot Moist towel, (don't burn yourself ) against my stomach, with my right leg bent at the knee.
    I stick a pillow under me to support the knee too, because I had leg problems, also,

Anyway, If I lay like that for about 20 mins, it usually goes away, if it dosen't then, I take my Soma's, they help to relax the Instestinal muscles, and that helps me to get rid of the bloatting and the cramping.

When I get the "Big D" I just about die, and I usually have to lay on the floor of the bathroom, with towels around me. Cold cloths work the best for me, during thoes times.

Have you been tested, with the Upper and Lower GI's test's?
    I haven't passed one yet, lol, I really hate them.

Also there is a Trigger point called, McBurneys Point, and it can cause a lot of the same pain.
    I treat it the same way. as above. I have had that CMP TrP for as long as I can remember, but then it was a part of the Growing pain's, I had.

Hope you get some relief, that is a terrible pain, to have to deal with.
    Be sure to call your Dr. if it dosen't let up soon, as there are a Miraid of other Conditions, that can have similiar Symptoms.

sharonk
  3. BleuSox

BleuSox New Member

I have had FMS for years, and am expieriencing the same thing, but also am comming off a really bad flare. Any change in eating habits, as I was on a lot of soft foods for the sores in my mouth. Most of the time it is gas... and laying on your right side with left knee on pillow will help...
  4. suz9601

suz9601 Member

Thanks guys for your replies
  5. dononagin

dononagin New Member

it could be intestinal spasms. I take donnatol for them. Goes with IBS.. but I have other colon stuff going on as well.. I haven't found anything natural that has helped..
    Good luck.
    Hugs,
    Dona
  6. cct

cct Member

suz9601,

I have had IBS for most of my adult life. I used to take donnatal, and it was effective, but I moved to another state and my new doctor would not prescribe donnatal.

After that, I just dealt with the cramping by using hotbaths, heating pads, and suppliments. Several healthcare professionals treated me, repeatedly, for candida. That helped a little tiny bit.

Recently, I found out that I am allergic to all grains (gluten). I stopped eating grains and my tummy troubles have gotten much better.
  7. AltoLiz

AltoLiz New Member

Hi to everyone. I also have IBS and keep it under control by taking Colpermin and Aloe Vera. The Aloe Vera must be pure and free from additives. Try it for one month and see if it helps
    God bless, Hilary
  8. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

As WE SPEAK!!! Yes, it is a problem I have had for ages. This bloating and cramping. Chocolate seems to bother me too. I am thinking I may be lactose intolerant or something.

I have never had the other symptoms of IBS, except I go several times a day.

The thing thta used to help me a lot with this was a very cheap pill called Clidinium. I was going to ask for a scrip for this on Wednesday, as it does work pretty well. It has a colon soother that stops the peristalis going crazy all the time and a touch of librium in it.

It has been out for years and I never had bad side effects from it.
    Oh di want to add that as all our other muscles are spasming it makes sence the big ling intestinal muscle is also spasaming.

LOve Anne
  9. suz9601

suz9601 Member

I guess I am not alone..these cramps can get really really bad. They come of in the evening more for some reason..strange..
  10. Goldyfm

Goldyfm New Member

I have had IBS for 25 years now and yes, you can have pain or cramping with or without a bowel movement. Sometimes having a BM will relieve it somewhat and other times it will make it worse. A heating pad on the abdomen has been my best friend on bad days. Also you can take meds for the gas and a doctor can prescribe an antispamodic.