Bowen Technique Article on Home Page

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karen2002, Oct 30, 2002.

1. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

I was really disappointed in this site, for placing the Bowen Technique Article on it's Home page. It appears to be nothing more than a snake oil come-on. The studies cited, involve first 20 patients, and then 4 patients. That does not add up to creditability for me. The technique is described as not being massage, but then we are told on their website (which is listed in this article...hmmmm wonder why?) that muscles are rolled between the fingers and thumb....isn't this massage??? In the article it says, "The practitioner rolls over the muscles with her fingers, which causes the muscles to relax." Duh--doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize a good rub down relaxes.
    Then to further prove the scientific proof we are told, "By measuring changes in the value and pattern in heart rate variability before and after a Bowen treatment, this study by Jo Anne Whitaker, M.D., demonstrated that the Bowen Technique affects the autonomic nervous system (ANS). By using Heart Rate Variability to study the autonomic nervous system, early findings demonstrated that Bowen treatments balanced the ANS. "
    Geez...no kidding....after a massage peoples heart rate decreases.....easy...doesnt have to be worded to sound like brain surgery....but they really want you to use the url at the bottom of the article. They are in the business of making money. I was Really---disappointed in this site, for placing this--I think it does a great disservice to our cause that many people are already skeptical about, and furthermore..is just an advertisement, hoping to pray upon the desperate.
    Just my two cents worth-
    Karen
  2. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

I was really disappointed in this site, for placing the Bowen Technique Article on it's Home page. It appears to be nothing more than a snake oil come-on. The studies cited, involve first 20 patients, and then 4 patients. That does not add up to creditability for me. The technique is described as not being massage, but then we are told on their website (which is listed in this article...hmmmm wonder why?) that muscles are rolled between the fingers and thumb....isn't this massage??? In the article it says, "The practitioner rolls over the muscles with her fingers, which causes the muscles to relax." Duh--doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize a good rub down relaxes.
    Then to further prove the scientific proof we are told, "By measuring changes in the value and pattern in heart rate variability before and after a Bowen treatment, this study by Jo Anne Whitaker, M.D., demonstrated that the Bowen Technique affects the autonomic nervous system (ANS). By using Heart Rate Variability to study the autonomic nervous system, early findings demonstrated that Bowen treatments balanced the ANS. "
    Geez...no kidding....after a massage peoples heart rate decreases.....easy...doesnt have to be worded to sound like brain surgery....but they really want you to use the url at the bottom of the article. They are in the business of making money. I was Really---disappointed in this site, for placing this--I think it does a great disservice to our cause that many people are already skeptical about, and furthermore..is just an advertisement, hoping to pray upon the desperate.
    Just my two cents worth-
    Karen