Bowen Technique

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Linda53, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Linda53

Linda53 New Member

Hi...I'm new to the boards. I have had FMS for 15 years. Deep tissue massge helps me and I'm wondering after reading the article about The Bowen Technique, if anyone has used this therapy. And if so, would anyone know someone who practices in KY. I live in Eastern KY but would drive if I could find someone who does the therapy.

Linda
  2. Linda53

Linda53 New Member

Hi...I'm new to the boards. I have had FMS for 15 years. Deep tissue massge helps me and I'm wondering after reading the article about The Bowen Technique, if anyone has used this therapy. And if so, would anyone know someone who practices in KY. I live in Eastern KY but would drive if I could find someone who does the therapy.

Linda
  3. diggity

diggity New Member

I had the bovven technique done on me and I could zee no difference at all. VVhile I vvaz having it done it felt good, but I zavv NO difference aftervvard. It vvaz ztrange to me that the lady vvho vvaz doing it vvould mazzage for about a minute, then ztep back and vvait for about 5 minutez. I vvondered about paying for a zezzion vvhere I vvaz only touched for about 5 minutez out of a 30 minute zezzion. Nevv helpful technique? VVell maybe for zome, but for me it juzt zeemed zomeone had hit upon a vvay to charge for a full mazzage and only give about a fourth of one. Zorry, juzt my opinion.

going to try and get a nevv keyboard thiz afternoon, zorry for the zpelling.
  4. fibolady

fibolady New Member

no, it did nothing for the fms. very expensive too! probably those who think they did get results it was the mind over matter technique!

warm regards, fibolady
  5. sapphire

sapphire New Member

Hi Linda,
    I'm from Kentucky also. Sorry I can't help you. I've never even heard of this. There's not many from Ky on here but maybe someone will be along that can help you.

Sapphire
  6. Linda53

Linda53 New Member

Thanks.....diggity and fibrolady! Sorry to be so long in replying but I was away for Parents Weekend at my son's school. As usual I'm exhausted. I suspected that even if the Bowen Technique worked it would have to be someone expertly trained and that's hard to find. But thanks, you just saved me some money.
  7. Linda53

Linda53 New Member

Sapphire....glad to meet someone from Ky! Thanks for the welcome. I read about the Bowen Technique in the Immunesupport newsletter. They have some interesting articles. But it sounded too good to be true and probably is. Do you have a doctor in Ky you really like? I just go to my family doctor and he is usually very helpful but I have to do most of the research on things and he usually lets me try different things.

Linda
  8. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Several people in my support group took part in a study of the Bowen Technique here in W. Central Fla.. They all reported positive effects, after an initial period of very, very severe headaches. Some in the study dropped out because of the headaches. The results did seem to be only pallative however, as they disappeared once the study was over.
    KLutzo
  9. lease79

lease79 New Member

I've been having Bowen Therapy done now for about 5 months.
    I nearly pulled the pin on it initially 'cause I was hurting so bad. But 5 months later I have improved greatly in some areas that noone has been able to help with before.
    Bowen is something that will not cause a miracle overnight & you MUST follow the instructions after the therapy ie. keeping your posture straight & drinking lots of water, or it renders the treatment void.
    I think that the level of experience that the Therapist has would have alot to do with it too. We have 2 women who are certified in Bowen in our town. The lady I see is wonderful, but I have heard not so good things about the other one.
    At the start I was having a treatment once a week, then every two weeks. I relapsed & started weekly again, but now I am having the treatments every three or so weeks.
    I have tried so much over the last few years & nothing has ever touched the sides. I was sceptical about the Bowen, but it has worked wonders for me & others that I know.

Lease
  10. sapphire

sapphire New Member

I have not found a good Dr. We all know more than most I've been to. I'm seeing a Nurse Practitioner and have been for the last several years. She is willing to try whatever I suggest although I've never asked for any strong pain meds. Don't know if she would give me any or not. I doubt it because I needed something to help me sleep and she only prescribed me 20 ambien. No refill.
    I have CFS and FMS. My fatigue is much worse than the pain right now. Wish I could find something to help that.
    It was nice to meet you. Sorry I can't help you find a good Dr.

Sapphire
  11. Linda53

Linda53 New Member

Sapphire
    I have read of one Dr. in Louisville that specializes in FMS and I may at some point go to see him. I think it takes a special doctor to begin with to see just FMS patients. We are never cured and are always needing something. LOL
    Linda
  12. Linda53

Linda53 New Member

Thanks for the help everyone. Looks like there are some it helps and some it doesn't but it could have to do with the person who does the massage. I know with just regular deep tissue massage some are better than others so I'll be on the lookout in the future. I'm like most everyone here.....I've tried many things and some work some don't.