Bowen Therapy has any one tried this?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LauraLea, Dec 16, 2002.

1. LauraLea

LauraLea New Member

A friend told me about this therapy and I was wondering if anyone has tried it. I'm sure there are a few who have and would love to hear your story.
    Bowen Therapy.

thanks
    Laura
  2. Boysmom1

Boysmom1 New Member

I haven't heard of it. Do you know anything about it?
  3. LauraLea

LauraLea New Member

Bowen Therapy

is a non-invasive therapeutic system utilizing cross-fiber muscle movement in specific areas of the body. The "moves" are performed in categorical secession with waiting periods incorporated during the session. This resting time is very important because it appears to have the action of allowing the brain to assimilate, correlate and create a positive response in the area being treated. When these "moves" are placed precisely across muscle and connective tissue, they alleviate a multitude of physical ailments. This has been verified by patients in clinical testing as effective in a high percentage of cases.

Bowen Therapy is a remarkable holistic therapy that balances and integrates the body's systems.

It can help a wide range of conditions:

Musculo-skeletal Pain such as back pain, frozen shoulders & necks, sporting injuries, arthritic pain, migraines, fibromyalgia .......

Respiratory Problems including; asthma, bronchitis, hay fever ......

Digestive disorders; constipation, colic, Chrohn's disease, indigestion ......

Gynaecological conditions; infertility, mastitis, pre menstrual syndrome, breast lumps .....

Other conditions include: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Tinnitus, bed wetting, prostatic problems, haemorrhoids, earache and ear infections.

It was developed in Australia by Tom Bowen between the mid '50s and early '80s. He alone treated over 13,000 patients per year with an 80-90% success rate.

I've heard some Chiropactor do Bowen Therapy...

4. Misdiagnosed

Misdiagnosed New Member

Hi Laura

Yes, I tried it several times before I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I was having terrible problems with IBS, constipation and grisly shoulder pain and lumps. It certainly helped alleviate symptoms but I stopped it as they symptoms always returned. Maybe I should give it another try now that I know what's wrong with me.

Acupuncture is the one of best therapies I've tried so far but my symptoms still return. I also recommend Kit Laughlin's book on flexibility and stretching which is a great home remedy for instant relief of neck, hip and groin spasms. Also great is a little machine called Shitasu -Pro that effectively releases trigger points in my shoulder and back.

Regards
    Gill

Regards
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

.....who were in my support group who took part in a study done to evaluate Bowen in our area. Most of them dropped out because they said the therapy gave them unbearable headaches, but the one who toughed it out, said she came out on the other side of the headaches with the best improvement of anything she had tried. However, once the study stopped, the improvements went away, so it appears that this is another pallative therapy, in which case most insurance companies will never pay for it.
    Klutzo
  6. kadywill

kadywill New Member

free visits and then it was up to me to pay and I couldn't!~~~~the Bowen treatments made me feel good for that particular day and I was *so* relaxed during the therapy. There was NO discomfort. However, to say that the treatments caused any persistent changes in my FMS/CFIDS/chronic pain, etc., I cannot. But, I would *still* be lying on that table in that dimly lit, warm room, with that beautiful soft music playing and the therapist's soft manipulations and gentle voice......IF I could afford it, because I felt totally relaxed and comfortable while having this and I just *slithered* off the table afterward and had a sense of well-being throughout the day!!! This feeling is priceless!!
    Love,
    Kady