Boy, did I get caught in that situation of having a good day....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by coyote, Apr 15, 2003.

1. coyote

coyote New Member

and REALLY overdoing it. I don't know what got into me. Started in the A.M. with taking my dad to the doctor, drove 45 minutes to take a painting to a show, went out to eat, went food shopping, came home and did laundry. I was folding clothes at 11:15 last night. I must have lost my mind. I usually plan only one major thing per day. But I felt pretty good, and just kept going.
    What a price to pay today..........Exhausted, feeling sick, can't seem to relax either, pain.......yikes.
    I hope I can remember next time how this feels.
  2. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

RELATIVELY, speaking..and significant others exclaim, "Don't you ever learn?..I have read, recently, that we (FM/CFSers) don't get the "normal cues" to slow down that others do, when we finally manage to get going..and we probably try to take advantage of every ounce of energy, because it comes so seldom, that you really feel like doing a lot of activities..Oh, weren't they in our shoes, for a day? To do or not to do, that is the question..
  3. KayL

KayL New Member

I think we all tend to do that when we are feeling good and having a good day.

Often I'm aware of how much I'm over-doing, and I *know* I should slow down, or call it quits before I've done too much, but it's true, when you feel good, you tend to try and do as much as you can get away with. And you pay the price the next day.

And Coyote, I remember how it feels the day after, and it hasn't stopped me from doing it to myself more times than I care to remember.

:)

Karen
  4. coyote

coyote New Member

It makes me realize I'm not alone and don't have to kick myself for being an idiot. It's true that when a bit of energy comes back you want to get as much done as possible. It feels good temporarily to overcome the fatigue.
    Lifedancer, wow, you sound busier that I was. I'm sorry that you're laid up today too. Hope you feel better soon.
    Going to bed early tonight.....going to resist the urge to watch another Law and Order and hit the sack.
  5. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

Till it is too late. I counciled pts. on this and always still do just the opposite. It is like the old people tell me their 90 but their brain is stuck at about 35yr. We get so excited & want to be like others inside as soon as we feel better we just go,happy to beable too, plus sooo much catching up from all the down days. I just did it again and all I want to do it scream in pain. I am my own worst enemy because even though I know all that stuff if I feel just half way, I have to catch up on all that lost time. Then I create more lost time. Dang viscious circle. Kind of like my amputee friend who still things her leg is still there and gets phantom pain too. It is a brain thing you know just like docs tell us it really is all in our heads only not like they say.lol
  6. OuchyMama

OuchyMama New Member

How Odd yesterday was a feel good day for me too and it had been sooooooooooooooo long since I had one of those I went wild. I had on my makeup hair done out to lunch went to Bingo went to the grocery did laundry. I am dragging myself up and down just for the bathroom today. It is just so nice to feel like yourself feel unstoppable feel like yourself again. But alas I have turned back into a pumpkin.
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have learned that lesson the hardway. I now try very hard not to do too much in one day. I even make my husband and children angry with me with this attitude that I have.

I will stop before I get tired! Yea, my husband will say;' you don't look tired to me!'. I am not tired, I stop now before I get to that point that I know I will suffer the next day.

I have been gardening this year for the first time in two years. Its not easy to 'STOP' planting when I still have energy! But I refuse to have that awful fatigue and pain the next day.
    Sooooo, every half hour I go inside and watch the tv or read for about a half hour or hour, then go back and work in the garden for half an hour again. I have been at this for over a week now, and have not crashed!

Its taking me weeks to do a job I could have done in a few days before, but its just not worth it.

Take care, and space your work, and reserve your energy. In the long run you will get more done with less backlash from it.

Shalom, Shirl
  8. Tibbiecow

Tibbiecow New Member

my husband usually won't let me overdo things. He'll tell me to go to bed. Exception when I just CAN'T sleep and I'm really wired, he'll let me watch another Law & Order but I know I'd better double the klonipin and get some sleep because if I'm wired that usually means I'll get a migraine tomorrow.
    Tibbie
  9. lynnkat

lynnkat New Member

Put me on the list of doing just a "little" extra when a good day does show it's face. The spring bug bit me over the week-end and I decided to transplant a few of my flowers. Here in Kansas you have to work with Mother Nature when she is in a good mood so off I went to tackle the flower bed. OH MY GOD!! Didn't seem like I had really over done anything until I finished and sat down for a cool drink. I felt like my body had been filled with quick set cement and it was drying!! For the next couple of days I was moving slower than usual and that's slow! I always feel good about accomplishing something like that but I always know the price I wiil pay. I guess the great feeling of getting something done spurs me on even though the next day I pay the price for it. I used to be able to do so much more and it is frustrating to just sit and watch the world go by without me! Be well Coyote and laugh when you can.
  10. bluebirder

bluebirder New Member

that well. I overdo it so often too.

I tried sitting, laying, kneeling (on my good knee--looked like I was proposing to the weeds), scooting with a hand trowel and it took me so long to take little tufts of grass out that were trying to regrow where the grubs killed it off last year. I didn't want grass there anyway. But this morning it feels like I turned it with a shovel!!! All I did was scoot on a foam matt using a piece of wood like a cane and support to lift off the foam and pull it forward as I worked. Also had to get up to walk around with the makeshift cane every 6 minutes! Rotated between sitting, scooting, standing & stretching, crawling on one knee, bathroom breaks, sitting in lawn chair, and watching birds flat of my back. Now this morning I look out and realise I only moved 5 or 6' yesterday.I feel like I did a total workout several times over! My feet won't let me go up or down the stairs erect today....sitting down and scooting down and backwards up the steps to get something out of the freezer for diner!!

I guess today is one of those "I told you so. Maybe now you'll listen" lecture days from my body.
  11. lynnkat

lynnkat New Member

I sure can relate to going down those stairs to get stuff. Have you ever gone up or down the stairs like a dog on all fours?? I have!! The bad thing about that is my dog beats me up the stairs and then sits and looks at me like "what took you so long"? The first time my son saw me do this he came unglued! Whatever works is how I have to live my life now and I noticed that he didn't mind that his laundry got washed. Ain't life just a bowl of cherries with an extra helping of pits since fibro reared it's ugly head? At least I know that I'm not alone in this world of pain. ((((hugs))) lynnkat
  12. nct

nct New Member

Much of the theory is that type A folks are the ones stricken by these autoimmune nasties(not everyone, I know, but many)-we're so unused to being incapacitated at all.

So when a good day comes along, we just can't stop ourselves, we have to get out there and move and do, etc.
    I've considered myself a bit of a couch potato, but this is ridiculous!

I was sick with a cold last week-but staying home 2 full days seems to have done the trick. But before this DD, I would have balked at staying home for 2 days just for a stuffy head and runny nose. But I'm so paranoid about it becoming bronchitis (something that began happening, regularly, about 4 years before the diagnosis), that I baby myself. I never got bronchitis growing up.

I felt good Sunday, then Monday and Tuesday at work, no brain fog-so last night, went to yoga class. I love this-just stretching, etc. But it was a workout, and today, my legs are a bit shaky and 'noodly' (sure cfs flare signs for me), and my head isn't quite as clear as yesterday. :(

Hang in there all!

Nancy
  13. Madelyn

Madelyn New Member

..on this site, entitled "Promoting Recovery from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: The Fifty Percent Solution". It deals with exactly this predicament!
    Mad