Boyfriend doesn't understand my pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Danielle, Nov 3, 2006.

1. Danielle

Danielle New Member

Hello,

Last night my boyfirend and I were sitting watching TV. All of a sudden he said oh here is something I recorded for you to watch.

It was about a NFL football player that started taking vicodin for pain. The player then went on to become addicted to heroin crack.

I just looked at my boyfriend and said when I start doing heroin or smoking crack then you'll need to worry. I just couldn't believe him.

I have been with him for 13 years and developed fibro 9 years ago. I have been taking the same dosage of vicodin (1 to 2 a day) for 6 years.

In the beginning I was also taking valium ( for 7 years) I took myself off the valium because I just didn't want to be taking it anymore. My anxiety had gotten better.

I told him there was a difference between treating chronic pain and addiction. Some people just seem to have the personality that wants more and more and more.

He has watched me quit smoking and quit valium, so I was floored that he would try to compare what I do with an addicted heroin crack addict.

I only take a vicodin when I am in extreme pain. It just hurt my feelings. He has seen how this pain affects me. Sorry so long.

Danielle
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Danielle:

It is to your credit that you are doing all of the right things. I hope when there is an opportunity you can point out all of the good things you have done for your health and also about how you use Vicodin.

I guess the men care, but until they have the problem themselves it must be difficult to understand.

nyrofan
  3. Danielle

Danielle New Member

Hi,

I am the type of person that has tried to alot to help myself with this disease. I lost weight, I quit smoking and also don't drink anymore. I try to eat very healthy too.

I'm still able to work full time although is has been very challenging at times. I have a very wonderful boss that is understanding.

I also tired to tell my boyfriend about how the CDC finally recognises these diseases as real. It was on the news last night. I wanted to tell him that these conditions are right up there with MS. He didn't want to hear about it.

That just made me feel that he really doesn't care much about what this disease does to me. Or what I've had to do to ty and have some kind of a life. He is very immature.

Danielle