BP and Florinef

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Smurfette17, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Smurfette17

Smurfette17 New Member

I'm looking for anyone who's had experience with Florinef (fludrocortisone)?

I saw Dr. Lerner last week and mentioned my consistently low blood pressure in the last 3 months or so (e.g. 88/55), even though it's usually normal when I'm in his office. I expected he would reduce the dose of Atenolol I'm on, as this would be the most likely culprit since it's a beta-blocker. However, he didn't want to decrease the dose for fear that my tachycardia would return. Instead, he prescribed Florinef-- this was without a tilt-table test, just based on my symptoms.

I'm a bit reluctant to take a steroid, though I know this isn't like taking cortisone. Also, my other doctor doesn't agree that I need this-- he feels that if my adrenals heal, my bp will normalize. I agree, but wonder if I the Florinef might give some help while that happens.

At this point, since I take 7 daily prescriptions, I was looking to decrease medications, not add more...

2. mezombie

mezombie Member

Hi Smurfette,

I take Florinef. I was diagnosed with Neurally Mediated Hypotension based on two tilt table tests.

It really helps me a lot! I'm able to sit up and stand up much longer than I did before.

Not everyone is able to tolerate Florinef. It's best to start with as small a dose as possible, using a pill splitter if necessary.

Also, I must admit that the Florinef stopped working at some point. I had to switch to Midodrine. Then that stopped working and now I take a bit of both (Florinef and Midodrine).

BTW, I was put on beta blockers for this originally, and none of them did a thing for me. You may be able to substitute the Florinef for the Atenolol.

3. Smurfette17

Smurfette17 New Member

I was put on 0.1 mg twice a day, which I understand is the standard dose? Also potassium supplements, since Florinef can deplete potassium.
  4. mezombie

mezombie Member

I think most doctors start their patients at 0.1 mg once a day, but I may be wrong. That' s how I started.
  5. Smurfette17

Smurfette17 New Member

I've decided to give the Florinef a try, now that I'm about a month into the Valcyte (and given that it's the same doctor prescribing both). However, I am really nervous about taking a steroid. I understand this isn't like cortisone, but rather mimicking a mineralocorticoid. Still, I am scared of becoming dependent on it, as happens with steroids. For those who took it, were you able to stop with no difficulties? Already I take one drug that is hard to give up (Ativan)-- don't want another one to become dependent on...