BraidieBunch news of suicide needs to be heard by country.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sissy123, May 17, 2003.

1. Sissy123

Sissy123 New Member

I am so angry that that woman felt she had nowhere to turn!!! The President, the media...needs to hear this story. I will copy it and sent it to my Senator, Congressman, Govneror. I am so ashamed of the medical community right now for treating us so badly at times and not listening. My heart goes out to the family. I wish there was something I could do for them. Maybe we could do something in her honor. I want to do something for her little girl!!! Sis
    [This Message was Edited on 05/17/2003]
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Stories like this just reinforce that we are all just a bunch of depressed people.

Love, Mikie
  3. tansy

tansy New Member

this is so tragic.

But using cases just as this to highlight the distress these DDs lead to can just confirm to the disbelievers that these DDs are merely depression or we are non copers.

It's important to educate on the effects they have on quality of life, I now use the Canadian definition to get this across. Having got that point across one can then illustrate the number of suicides and why so many are driven to it.

Cheers

Tansy
  4. AC77

AC77 New Member

This women DID have pain meds but DIDNT take them. That was what was highlighted in the article posted. That doesnt help the case. It wasnt as if she was being denied relief,,,,as far as I know. She was being helped. She just wasnt taking them. She obviously has other mental problems and by looking only at the one case of a woman lighting herself on fire with gas, doctors will just want to push AntiDepressants's even more so than now!

Anyone who commits a Violent sucicide such as her, has more than just fibro. I hate to say it, but anyone killing themselves that way, had to have had another distinct seperate diagnosis, known or not, ie; Biplolar or shizophenria. She obviouly was set off by the death of a family member and had to have had another distinct psychiatric diagnosis. Fibro doesnt make people light themselves on fire.

I do send ou love for the family and her but this is not a good case to highlight.
  5. BraidieBunch

BraidieBunch New Member

Yes, I see where more people will become aware of FM but...I know that some people think it is indeed "All in our heads". I know that this woman did not have adequate health coverage. The full article is on the web at Fresno Bee.com. The depression was hers to deal with, I agree. BUT...at the risk of sounding naive, I say that we DO need to become more aware of our mental health as a nation. Yes, she had been depressed. I can understand why. But she didn't the support from a great group like this. SUPPORT AND UNDERSTANDING AND ACCEPTANCE make all the difference.
    Hugs, Braidie