Brain and Mouth Not Working Together

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by annabella39, May 16, 2005.

1. annabella39

annabella39 New Member

I can't seem to get my brain and my mouth to work together these days. I don't know if it's the drugs I take or just good old fibro fog. I have a thought in my head but when I go to say it, it comes out all jumbled and makes no sense. I don't know if I should say anything to my doctor or not - can he really do anything about it????

Does anyone else have this problem? It sure makes working and sounding professional a bit of a challenge.

2. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

and it worse the more tired I am. I agree that it is hard to sound professional when stumbling on words! If there is something that can be done about it, I sure hope someone tells us!
  3. tjlibby

tjlibby New Member

I do that too. You aren't alone. If you find out the answers let us know Teri
    [This Message was Edited on 05/16/2005]
  4. backporchrags

backporchrags New Member

I do it too. The more tired I am the worse it gets. My family is begining to think i'm stupid.
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

The only thing that seemed to help me with the 'get your brain in gear before your mouth opens' is drinking water, taking a 1/4 teaspoon of Sea Salt a day, and the ZMA (zinc, magnesium and vitamin B-6).

But if I am tired, or stressed, I go right back to having problems with saying what I am 'thinking' and have it come out right!

My worst time is right after I wake up in the morning. I do not answer the phone till I know my brain and mouth will work together.

I do not know of any medication that will help this, but I am sure there must be something out there.

It also affects my spelling, reading, and anything else when its bad. I forget things on the stove, so I use a timer for that.

Hope you get to feeling better soon, it must be terrible working and have these problems.

Shalom, Shirl
  6. GrnEyedRedhead

GrnEyedRedhead New Member

Unfortantly I can't blame the medication for right now I am not on any. I do find myself alot latey when I try and speak the words don't want to come out and when they do they become slurred at times.

Sometimes I feel as if I forget things even when I try and speak. If no one knows me they'd probably think I was drinking or on something.

I have also found that when I type, my words are sometimes missed spell or it doesn't make sense. In my mind it does but with speech and typing, that's a different story. Sharon
  7. jef40

jef40 New Member

I am a speech therapist. Yeah, some days the kids are teaching me.

I spend a lot of time saying silly things to see if they are listening, so it is a game to them when I do this. They seem to be able to tell when I don't mean to do it though and my older students will often say, "you didn't really mean to say that did you?"

My fear is that some day I will say a bad word and not even realize it until it is too late!
  8. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

I go through periods like that. They come and go.
    Sometimes I start stuttering, others I can not get the words out and other times can not express myself like I need to. It is really frustrating. My belief it is fibro-fog. I know it passes, but the only thing that helps me is to rest. It is worse when I am overworked or overstressed or in a flare or really bad pain without the full flare.