Brain and Mouth Not Working Together

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by annabella39, May 16, 2005.

1. annabella39

annabella39 New Member

I can't seem to get my brain and my mouth to work together these days. I don't know if it's the drugs I take or just good old fibro fog. I have a thought in my head but when I go to say it, it comes out all jumbled and makes no sense. I don't know if I should say anything to my doctor or not - can he really do anything about it????

Does anyone else have this problem? It sure makes working and sounding professional a bit of a challenge.

anne
  2. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

and it worse the more tired I am. I agree that it is hard to sound professional when stumbling on words! If there is something that can be done about it, I sure hope someone tells us!
  3. tjlibby

tjlibby New Member

Well
    I do that too. You aren't alone. If you find out the answers let us know Teri
    [This Message was Edited on 05/16/2005]
  4. backporchrags

backporchrags New Member

I do it too. The more tired I am the worse it gets. My family is begining to think i'm stupid.
    A
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

The only thing that seemed to help me with the 'get your brain in gear before your mouth opens' is drinking water, taking a 1/4 teaspoon of Sea Salt a day, and the ZMA (zinc, magnesium and vitamin B-6).

But if I am tired, or stressed, I go right back to having problems with saying what I am 'thinking' and have it come out right!

My worst time is right after I wake up in the morning. I do not answer the phone till I know my brain and mouth will work together.

I do not know of any medication that will help this, but I am sure there must be something out there.

It also affects my spelling, reading, and anything else when its bad. I forget things on the stove, so I use a timer for that.

Hope you get to feeling better soon, it must be terrible working and have these problems.

Shalom, Shirl
  6. GrnEyedRedhead

GrnEyedRedhead New Member

Unfortantly I can't blame the medication for right now I am not on any. I do find myself alot latey when I try and speak the words don't want to come out and when they do they become slurred at times.

Sometimes I feel as if I forget things even when I try and speak. If no one knows me they'd probably think I was drinking or on something.

I have also found that when I type, my words are sometimes missed spell or it doesn't make sense. In my mind it does but with speech and typing, that's a different story. Sharon
  7. jef40

jef40 New Member

I am a speech therapist. Yeah, some days the kids are teaching me.

I spend a lot of time saying silly things to see if they are listening, so it is a game to them when I do this. They seem to be able to tell when I don't mean to do it though and my older students will often say, "you didn't really mean to say that did you?"

My fear is that some day I will say a bad word and not even realize it until it is too late!
  8. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Anne:
    I go through periods like that. They come and go.
    Sometimes I start stuttering, others I can not get the words out and other times can not express myself like I need to. It is really frustrating. My belief it is fibro-fog. I know it passes, but the only thing that helps me is to rest. It is worse when I am overworked or overstressed or in a flare or really bad pain without the full flare.
    NyroFan