Brain fog due to reduced blood flow?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by springrose22, Apr 13, 2007.

1. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

So many of us have brain fog, reduced inability to think and concentrate, etc. Mine has been getting worse lately, to the point where I feel like there is increased fluid in my head causing pressure. But, when I lie down, it does subside somewhat. Do you think this is actually due to reduced blood flow to the brain, which makes it FEEL like my brain is mushy? Then, when I lie down my brain gets a better blood supply?

Quite frankly, I feel that I am generally getting worse, and wonder what in the world is in the future... Marie
  2. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Marie,

Am posting this from a Sarah Myhill article:

4. Effects on the brain
    Last October I attended a conference sponsored by the late Dr. John Richardson. A Canadian physician - Byron Hyde - showed us some functional scans of the brains of CFS patients. If I had not known the diagnosis, I would have diagnosed strokes. This is because the blood supply to some area of the brain was so impaired.

The default is temporary, and with rest, blood supply recovers. However, this explains the multiplicity of brain symptoms [that CFS patients] suffer from, such as poor short term memory, difficulty multi-tasking, slow mental processing, and so on. Furthermore, brain cells are not particularly well stocked with mitochondria and therefore they run out of energy very quickly.

The entire article can be accessed at:

http://www.immunesupport.com/library/showarticle.cfm/ID/7495/T/CFIDS_FM/searchtext/secondary%20to%20mito

It all feels very significant to me and I anticipate I will be following up on this.

Regards, Wayne
  3. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

Just one reply, that's all I wanted, have been feeling especially low this last week, seems that lying down is the only activity that keeps me feeling somewhat human. Beautiful picture, inspiring me to paint again, haven't been able to. Will look up the Myhill article. Take care. Marie
  4. millennia

millennia New Member

That makes a lot of sense. There is a book by Dr. Amen about ADD. He uses active brain scan imaging. People with ADD have less blood flow to the frontal lobe of the brain which handles concentration (I think it's the frontal lobe, I'm a little foggy). This is why people with ADD are given stimulates, these drugs stimulate the blood flow in the brain. I know that some people here have had some success with ADD drugs. It makes sense that we might have a similar issue.
  5. deliarose

deliarose New Member

ADD and ADHD drugs are a band-aid, and god knows what the long-term effects are.

My brain fog is hugely improved adn it's thanks to transfer factor and the methylation protocol. But I made more progress on the methylation protocol in 6 weeks than in 6 months on the TF.

Having said that, the TF may have laid a foundation.

delia
  6. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

I agree with you about taking ADD and ADHD drugs - bad for CFSers. Am watching your progress on methyl protocol. Marie
  7. jmq

jmq New Member

I too have FM and CFS...but the only time I get headaches is when I am lying down...to go to bed..or I wake up with one. Those usually turn into migraines. During the day I just get some short lasting mild tension or pressure headaches that I do not even take anything for. I use to take so many excederins that I was getting rebound headaches. Now I have just the lying down headaches. Wonder why that happens too?

Lukily I do not have one tonight...so Huraay!!!

Hope you find relief and answers,
    jmq
  8. SpiroSpero

SpiroSpero New Member

Sometimes my brain fog really improves in the frist 5-10 min after I woke up. Then it turns back rapidly.
  9. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Reduced blood flow to the brain could be the reason but stress also contributes to that feeling of head pressure. Lying down, breathing slowly, gently and evenly and relaxing our bodies inch by inch can help. Try to concentrate on your breathing and not the thoughts flying through your head.

I wonder if you're becoming more stressed lately, either from concern about your health or other things in your life?

Marta
  10. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

Thanks for your reply. No, actually, I haven't been more stressed lately, and yes, the pressure subsides when I lie down, etc. The pressure (or lack of O2) definitely increases with any kind of activity, and subsides when I lie down. So, I lie down a lot. Used to be very active. Marie