Brain Fog lifting

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Juloo, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Juloo

Juloo Member

This stuff happens gradually, so I didn't really notice it until I realized that I was successfully balancing several crisis projects at work without blinking an eye...my Brain Fog has seriously lifted!

I'm not sure what I would attribute it to, but I have now been on an antibiotic for about three months and at about the same time, shifted from Valtrex to Famvir (for Lyme/C.Pneumoniae and EBV, respectively). I've continued with several supplements as well, so no doubt it is a combination of things.

And to have this happen in the summer! Summer is usually such a miserable time for me -- I'm in Florida, but I hate the heat and humidity, so I hibernate. It *has* been miserable here, but drier than usual. I didn't even take a nap this past weekend.

It's very nice to have some good days. Sometimes I have to stop and really think about how bad it used to get, just to remind myself that I have progressed!
    [This Message was Edited on 07/19/2006]
  2. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I see you are in Florida so it's about 10:30 p.m. back
    there. I'm out here on the "left coast" in California
    so if I don't get a reply until tomorrow, I'll under-
    stand.

Glad that you are doing well this date. I'm curious as
    to when you were diagnosed with Lyme and where you may
    have contacted it. My adult daughter has had it for at
    least 10 yrs. poss. more. I'll be getting an Igenex
    test soon myself as my CFS is very similar to Lyme symp-
    toms. Although now back in the Bay Area, I lived in the
    Sierra Nevada for 10 yrs. and have had contact with ticks
    during those years. Was your Lyme diagnosed before your
    other problems were defined?? Thanks for any insight!!

Have a good eve,
    MRDAD
    [This Message was Edited on 07/19/2006]
  3. Juloo

Juloo Member

No, my Lyme diagnosis came on the heels of all the other things that were found, including chronic active EBV and c.pneumonia, thyroid and adrenal problems, and hormonal problems.

It was an Igenex test that finally identified it, but by their's and the CDC's standards, I am technically 'negative'. Instead of 5 positive bands, I have four positive bands and one indeterminate; however, as you probably know, this should not rule out treatment. So the FFC doctor started me on an antibiotic (azithromycin, since it is supposed to be effective on c.pneumoniae), which I expect she'll switch out to another one when we have our next conference.

As to where I picked this up, I can't be certain. I don't remember having a tick or a bulls-eye rash. My husband had a bulls-eye rash two summers ago, but it went away before I could convince him to see a doctor. He has been having symptoms now as well (he had two weeks of antibiotics two years ago), so he is on doxy now through a local nurse practitioner (who also has Lyme). My husband's bite was on vacation in Massachusetts (Cape Cod). I've spent time nearly every summer of my 43 years in Massachusetts/New England, and I've even read that there have been cases where it has been transmitted between partners, so who knows! We're both battling the chronic active EBV as well.
  4. deliarose

deliarose New Member

why did they switch u frmo Valtrex to Famvir?
    tnx
    Delia
  5. deliarose

deliarose New Member

I've seen a similar dissipation of brain fog in just a couple of weeks on Valtrex.

What dose of Valtrex were u taking?

tnx
    Delia
  6. Juloo

Juloo Member

I was on 1g Valtrex, 3 times a day. ( I probably posted it on here about a year or more ago.) I started then when I was in Dr. D. Dantini's study on the effect of Valtrex on FM. It was a double-blind study, but I knew I had the real med just a few days into taking it because my pain went away just about completely.

The FFC doc changed me to Famvir when my EBV count (even after about 15 months) kept going up and up and up. When I went off the Valtrex and on to Famvir, I had some pain (mild, but the burning in my upper arm muscles, etc.) come back, but perhaps it was herxing, I don't kow.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/20/2006]
  7. deliarose

deliarose New Member

let me see if I have this straight?

You were on Valtrex, 3 grams a day, for a year or more and it helped with the pain but did not eliminate the fog?

The antibiotics have helped with teh fog and now you're on Famvir to bring the EBV down?

And you've worked all the way through this?

Did the EBV actaully show up as a current infection in your blood work? Was it a regular bloodtest or a PCR test?

tnx
    Delia
  8. Juloo

Juloo Member

Q. You were on Valtrex, 3 grams a day, for a year or more and it helped with the pain but did not eliminate the fog?

A. Yes, (for me) that's right.

Q. The antibiotics have helped with the fog and now you're on Famvir to bring the EBV down?

A. Either the antibiotic OR the change to Famvir have helped with the fog...I started on both about the same time, so I can't tell which is the biggest help.

Q. And you've worked all the way through this?

The work schedule that my husband and I have agreed on (we work together and have our own business) is approximately 20 hours a week. although it rarely comes up to that number. Generally, I work on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. I'm home on Monday and Friday (and the weekends). As for work hours, it's 9 to 12 and 1 to 5 unless I have doctor appointments or my son has a meeting or appointment or lesson. On my worst days, I could barely drag myself in to work and sit upright at my desk, and thinking was veeeeeerrrryy slooooooooooow.

Q. Did the EBV actaully show up as a current infection in your blood work? Was it a regular bloodtest or a PCR test?

Oops -- gotta run and drop something to FedEx -- will answer later!

9. Juloo

Juloo Member

It was regular (Quest) blood testing. There were four different tests, and the combination of the results of the tests told whether you were:

+ at risk for EBV
    + were recently infected
    + had a re-activated or chronic infection
    and...
    + (one other thing, that I forgot -- but I posted all the results on here probably last year).

The thing is, the numbers just kept getting higher and higher. (The testing Dr. Dantini did had different types of scales -- the results were in the '1:512' type of format. There is just a straight whole number for the tests I am getting now. I'd go look them up, but I took my test results to work today to make copies for a new doctor, and I've left them in the car and am feeling very lazy just now!
  10. Juloo

Juloo Member

http://immunesupport.com/chat/forums/message.cfm?id=705161&B=FM

I think one of my numbers is now in the high 700s, and another is now nearly 4000 (?), but I don't remember which is which.