Brain Fog or Comprehension Difficulties

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KittyCat, Jun 26, 2003.

1. KittyCat

KittyCat New Member

Hello,
    I have been having an awful time comprehending technical tasks from my supervisor. I don't know if this is a part of fibro fog or because of the subject matter. My head is spinning and if I don't catch on to what I'm supposed to be doing, I'm afraid my boss with lose patience and let me go. I'm not sure what to do. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks much!
    KittyCat
  2. Stillkicking

Stillkicking New Member

It could be a ear problem or a nasal/sinus problem. Use "Swim Ear"to dry out the ears after bathing and saline nasal spray to dry out the nasal/sinus. The sinuses go behind the eyes deep into the skull and near the ears. Any problem with them can cause your head to spin and concentration difficulties.
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Please see my answers (2) to post on same subject by Spartanjt.
    Klutzo
  4. pearls

pearls New Member

1) When I was still teaching and I couldn't figure out something new I was supposed to do, I would ask a trusted fellow teacher for help. Is this possible for you?

2) Have you discussed this with your doctor? If he knows about fibrofog, he may be able to help. Mine prescribed Provigil.

Dr. Starlanyl has a whole chapter of her book, "Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain." Here are some things mentioned there:

3) Go easy on sweets and starches. They feed yeast, which can make the fog worse.

4) Bodywork, which we need, can increase the fog because the body is overwhelmed by toxins which are released by the bodywork. Getting rid of them is great, but you'll need to weigh these two things.

5) Histamine can cause fog. I think that's what the previous two posts were about, though I haven't had time to study them.

6) I need to hurry the rest because it is getting late: if you are working with numbers, recheck them several times with a calculator. Use the spell checker on your computer, write lists and notes, and use post-it notes. Yeast can be a big problem for fog. Work on getting enough sleep because sleep is crucial. Try to avoid things that bother you, such as loud noise or crowds, or other sensory overload items. Avoid stress (easily said, huh?).

-Pearl
    Love,
    -Pearl
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I believe that Fibro Fog and our cognitive problems are two different things. When I first got really sick, I felt as though I was in a fog, all dizzy and unable to use all my senses. When I started taking the Guaifenesin, the fog almost immediately cleared up.

The problem is that I still have cognitive problems like the inability to remember words, dyslexia when I type, misspelling, etc. I also get lost going to places I've been before.

There is a distinct difference in these two problems in my opinion. When I went into a complete remission taking the Famvir, all these cognitive problems went away. I am back on the Famvir and Herxing like crazy, so I'll let y'all know whether I go into remission after this Herxing.

Love, Mikie
  6. pearls

pearls New Member

Mikie,

Is Famvir a FDA approved drug? I need to know because I'll be seeing my pain doctor on Monday. Unfortunately (or fortunately, if one is of that mind), he does not support anything that has not undergone a zillion or so positive tests, been FDA approved (and probably received the Seal-of-Approval from God!). I'd really like to get some help for my cognitive problems.

Your point-of-view is very interesting. I've not thought about the two problems being different. You do mean, however, they are different, but both caused by our fibromyalgia, don't you?

Very much respect your opinions,
    -Pearl