Brain Fog Serious?? I'm scared.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MsE, Jul 1, 2008.

1. MsE

MsE New Member

Like all the rest of you, brain fog has been a part of my life for years and years. But today I scared myself. I was standing in my dining room and suddenly didn't know which room I was in. I needed to get to the phone, which had rung, and couldn't figure out where it was.

This was about a minutes worth of scrambled head, and then I was okay. But it was frightening. I've never found myself misplaced in my own home before.

Please tell me I'm not alone. I am really thinking altzheimers. Also, my back and neck hurt and I'm shifting off center. Haven't fallen, but only because I grabbed something to catch myself. This has happened at least five times during the past week.

It's usually when I try to step up a step or down a step. Or get up out of a chair. Then I tilt, usually to the right. So between getting momentarily lost in my own house and finding it hard to walk a straight line, I'm getting worried.

Someone, please tell me you've experienced the same darned thing so I can relax and chalk it up to more CFIDS weirdness. Please write. MsE
  2. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

Hi MSE,
    This happens too. It was worse before but getting better so it is not permanent - the brain fog.

Today I was driving to my doctors appt and I was in the middle lane and could not remember where I was - I knew I was in Houston but did not recognize my surroundings or where my exit was. I truly did not know where I was (but I did know where I was going). Eeks! Driving 65mph down the highway.

I fall to the left rear. I use a cane until I can get to a buggy. It is neurological but not necessarily Parkinsons or Alzheimers (in my opinion, I might be wrong).

I find that these issues are worse when I am detoxing or carrying a heavy toxic burden and need to detox. My liver doesn't work very well. I think that puts the nerve endings in a clogged state (when inflamed they can't transmit their messages correctly) so the body doesn't work like it's supposed to and the detox system is sluggish.

I think they are important to follow up with a neurologist but I don't think they are Alz. or Park.

3. poets

poets Member

I have FM and I can tell you from experience that I've been there before. I was on my computer the other night and looked up and for a minute I didn't know what room I was in and had to look around for the door. It just didn't look familiar to me. After a minute or so, I got my bearings. It's happened more than once that I've gotten confused like that. And walking? Oh my. When I try to walk a straight line, I get my feet tangled up. I seem to want to tilt to the left.

I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. There's a lot of us out there!

4. Missizzy

Missizzy New Member

MsE--These are experiences I have had every day since my onset over four years ago. I cope with them by talking myself through them. Several of my children have mental retardation and/or spectrum disorders so this is something I am familiar with doing--sequencing, double-checking, etc. Yes, it is humbling for me but it gets me through my day. Somehow, the verbal validation helps.

I forget where I am going, leave refrigerator doors open, pick up the laptop when the phone rings, answer the wrong child, brush my teeth twice, did I eat lunch?--you name it. I honestly can't remember how many glasses of wine I've had (my limit is two) so I jot it down. I've found that a healthy sense of humor and humility help immensely.

My theory is that my body and mind are working so darned hard at just staying upright that some things "fall off the table". Make sure that safety comes first. If you find yourself leaving the stove on or wondering outside, please ask for help. Otherwise, most of these glitches are harmless even though they are very unsettling.

So, just know that many of us are right with you. An occupational therapist might be able to help you develop some coping skills ie. writing notes, keeping lists, carrying the phone with you, etc. Try to stay positive and concentrate on all your other fine qualities--of which I know you have many!!

5. georgie0826

georgie0826 New Member

I have the same symptons. They are worse when i am tired. my husband got me a GPS for my car since i was getting lost so many times. Even in my hometown. it has helped a lot, i don't panic as much.
    I have had 2 alzemers[sp] tests. they say i do not have it.
    that's a relief.
    I also bump into things, its like i can't judge my body space.
    sorry about the typos, i'm typing in the dark
  6. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

I lived in a town on about 3200 and went to the real estate office on the square. When I came out and got to my car and started to pull out of the parking lot I couldn't remember how or which way to go around the tiny square or how to get home.

That was in the beginning of my illness 20 years ago and I haven't done that again, thank goodness.
  7. Catseye

Catseye Member

It's my guess that you are low in neurotransmitters. Those are what the brain uses to think and feel good. When they are low, you have brain fog and depression. It's just part of the nutritional deficiencies that exist because of malfunctioning digestion. You need the things the body uses to build neurotransmitters. These are amino acids and they are available in concentrated forms online or at the health food store. I couldn't hardly read before I started using them.

I did a post called "neurotransmitter precursors" Jan 18 of 2007. Take a look at that for some more info.

And about how much I was taking . . .

Of the above substances, I was taking 500 mg of most of them, like 3x per day. All except the 5htp I was taking 100 mg 3x per day (definitely DO NOT take 500 mg of 5htp at one time or even in one day) , the DMAE 100 mg 2x per day and the threanine was 250 mg 3x per day and the theonine I just got what was in my amino acid blend, probably not very much at all, like 50 mg 3x per day and the B vitamins I was taking whatever was in the B complex by Country Life. But now I like jigsawhealth time released Bs better. The phosphatidyl serine and choline I took off and on, probably 500 mg once or twice per day.
  8. MsE

MsE New Member

Bless you! So many responses, and they are so reassuring. I am grateful.

Caledonia, you mentioned CoQ10. I have read about that supplement before. I'm going to google it for side effects and probably get some. We don't have a Sam's Club, but we do have a WalMart and a RiteAid, as well as a very good health food store.

All of you--thanks again for writing. Your messages were waiting when I came to the computer this morning, and they have helped enormously. MsE
  9. dinda

dinda New Member

I'm having a difficult time today w/brain fog. My six year old daughter told me I was funny and silly. She doesn't know that I have fibro. I was trying to tell her to make sure she used soap when she washed her hands and I said something weird for soap don't even remember what I said now. I always try to keep a sense of humor when I'm in a fog.
  10. MsE

MsE New Member

A sense of humor and much patience are both vital, but right now I've run out of both. However, thanks to all you folks, I don't feel as nervous about it this morning.
  11. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

I can't find them anymore when I'm talking. I used to have this excellent vocab and now I have to stop and think and sometimes it doesn't come to me. Names tend to be going too. I haven't lost my bearings yet but I do run into walls and people and have for years. But I've heard there are good supplements that can help and I plan on getting on them.

12. pattyholland

pattyholland New Member

That if I could remember that I was forgetting this and that, then it wouldnt be altzheimers cause with that you dont remember that your not remembering. Does that make sense to you. I know it did when he told me.
  13. cruzd

cruzd New Member

this is normal relax cause more stress will add more pressure which in turns add more pain try praying along with meds you will be ok
  14. pattyholland

pattyholland New Member

sorry to hear about your Aunt, My sister-n-law has her mother living with her now, who is suffering from altzheirmers. And it is very scary thing to think we might have it ourselfs, So I guess I was hoping what the doctor said was true, but I see now he wasnt.
  15. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Last week, I was at the grocery store, which also has a coffee shop. I ordered tea, paid and then walked over to the produce department which was right next to it. Then I saw the woman at the counter waving with my tea in her hand. I had completely forgotten.

That is only one example.

If you have not already talked to your doctor about this, for peace of mind you might want to see what he/she thinks.

Fibrofog can be scary and mine is worse when I am not feeling well.

Take care,
  16. MsE

MsE New Member

I talked to my doc about a year ago, and he ran me through the usual little Alzheimers test. But that was before I momentarily got lost in my own house.

Come to think of it, I did wake up one night a year or two ago and was completely disoriented. Saw the doc. He had an echocardiogram done to make sure I didn't have clogged neck arteries. That's when he ran me through the basic memory Alzheimers test. I passed both of his tests. No Alzheimers at that time, and no clogged neck arteries at that time.

Today I bought some CoQ10. Maybe that will help.

Erin, fogetting names and words is upsetting. I do that a lot. Sometimes it is the name of someone I know well or an item that is something I use everyday. As someone intimated, you sure as heck can't get proud with this stuff going on.

And sometimes it is so difficult to cover up the goof. Sometimes I can just say, "I don't remember...) but at other times it seems imparative to hide my brain glitch.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/02/2008]
  17. hatbox121

hatbox121 New Member

Ditto to the brain fog. Both with words and with locations. I also tend to walk to the right. I try to just kinda ignore it. So far no one has said much at work. I have to concentrate. Thankfully the next car isn't but 20 feet away and I have to go to my station to get parts so it's not really noticable.
  18. Manaleon

Manaleon New Member

There was a time I couldn't find my way around town. I would be going somewhere and get lost, then panic because I know my town. Then the horrible fatigue would hit me and I didn't know if I'd be able to drive home safely. It's one of the worst feelings I've had. I started getting rides from the van at my college because I was afraid of getting lost going to my classes.

I hope the fog clears fast for you. If it doesn't go away and you're still worried you can go see a neurologist. Thats what I did. I hope you feel better soon.

19. donnadb

donnadb New Member

Lost my car at WalMart the other day for the SECOND time is less than a month! It's getting ridiculous!! I am a professional and it is getting REALLY embarassing at work! Sometimes, Im not sure if it is the disease or the MEDS but either way, its scary!!!!