BRAIN FOG some possible supplements to try....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by victoria, Nov 3, 2006.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

There are non-RX supplements that can be of help to some - google Smart-Nutrition USA - it's a company, you'll see a heading on the home page for the different supplements that can help (see below) I'm not sure what prohealth here sells, you might want to check in the store here first.

However, my son has used Smart Nutrition's 'pay attention' and 'get smart' (at different times); they're slightly different formulas of varying ingredients and proportions of stuff I've listed below; for him the 'pay attention' seems to help the best... he has chronic lyme.

VINPOCETINE is a periwinkle plant extract that improves mental functioning; dilates the arteries of the brain but does not dilate other blood vessels; improves the brain's utilization of glucose; accelerates the rate of learning in animal studies by up to 40%; increases the length of time that short-term memory is retained;
    improves vision and eyesight disorders; improves impaired hearing and improves inner-ear problems; improves Tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and Vertigo (dizziness); can prevent stroke and mitigate damage in the aftermath of stroke; increases Adenosine Triphosphate (ATP) within the brain's neurons

HUPERZINE A (Huperzia serrata) is an ingredient found in Chinese Moss that enhances mental functioning by prolonging the life of the brain neurotransmitter acetylcholine. It works by inhibiting acetylcholinesterase, the enzyme that breaks down acetylcholine. This is the same mechanism of action by which the prescription drug ARICEPT works.

PYRITINOL has been used in Europe since 1961 for various cognitive conditions such as dementia, head injury, stroke aftermath, coma, and cerebral circulatory disorders.
    Pyritinol has shown to help Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) and is used by people of all ages to improve memory, concentration, and to enhance information processing.

PICAMILON is a Russian nootropic that enhances cerebral circulation. Picamilon is used in Russia to treat anxiety, depression, headaches, glaucoma, and eye disorders.

CENTROPHENOXINE raises brain acetylcholine levels thereby increasing alertness and attention span and improving learning ability.

ANIRACETAM & OXIRACETAM are nootropics that improve communication between the two brain hemispheres.

IDEBENONE increases Nerve Growth Factor (NGF) in the brain. Idebenone has been used to treat Alzheimer's disease and to lessen brain damage from strokes. Idebenone protects the brain from excitotoxins like MSG and aspartame.

GALANTAMINE is extracted from the snowdrop plant (a type of daffodil) and is approved by the FDA as an Alzheimer's treatment under the brand name REMINYL In addition to its use for Alzheimer’s, people of various ages including students use Galantamine as an aid to improve their memory and learning ability.

1) Galantamine inhibits acetylcholinesterase, the enzyme that breaks down acetylcholine (the brain neurotransmitter necessary for learning and memory).

2). Galantamine stimulates brain nicotinic receptors and reduces the build up of amyloid plaque (deposits containing amyloid peptide and dead neurons) in the brain.

Hope this is of help to at least a few!

all the best,
    Victoria
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

3. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

Thank you for posting this info. really hate the brain fog and today it is acting up for me. Will have to look into these.

Thanks,
    Pam
  4. beachwalkerbill

beachwalkerbill New Member

Thanks for the info Victoria. I'll have to do some research. I went to the Neuro to day. When I pulled the data I found that headaches were a better,8 days with out headache the last half of Oct VS 3Days with out in the first half of the month......Yep peeee progress.

Bill
  5. sydneysider

sydneysider Member

I'll keep an eye out for these supplements.

They look promising.
  6. DorothyVivian

DorothyVivian New Member

I deeply appreciate the effort and time you gave to us regarding research of supplements to help brain function.

I see from your profile you're an artist, too. I've been an artist since childhood and one of the losses from this darn disease I regret the most, is the ability to 'track'my next move while painting. I lose my way. (This also happens when I'm writing mystery stories--even when I outline!) It's bothersome to have to make lists, and little 'post-its'to remind myself of every little task!

I've been working on a large oil for over two years and found I'd lose my way from 'brain fog'as I got progressively fatigued---and yet, I'd continue painting 'cause I love the act of painting so much. However, this continuing while in a 'fog', resulted in making obvious mistakes and I'd have to go back and remove what I'd done. Makes it almost impossible to progress. As you know, doing ORIGINAL art work, musical composition or fictional writing requires the ability to hold in one's mind the major themes and where to go next. And, at the same time, to be able to improvise when the opportunity or inspiration comes.

That nimbleness of mind is just not available to me when I go into a relapse. I become more and more frustrated which doesn't help at all. And sometimes, when I'm stressed, I can't recall the simplest words--even the names of people I know extremely well!

I know this 'brain fog' is not simply from aging, as when the 'fog' lifts, my memory and mental acuity is as great as ever. Often, extra sleep and rest helps me. But I believe specific nutrients will also help!

So I want to thank you for the suggestions for supplements you recommended! I'll be trying out the ones that seem to be specific for my symptoms.

Thanks again!

With love, Dorothy
    [This Message was Edited on 11/03/2006]
  7. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I plan to look into these supplements further for my son...he has finals in December and needs all the help he can get! Terri
  8. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

are hard to find! Where do you get Idebenone? Or Galantamine?
  9. victoria

victoria New Member

look for 'smart-drugs', you should come up with the company immediately that sells the ones I mentioned plus others...

also look into the supplement DMAE, they may sell that here as it is best known of supplements to help the mind, it was used in the 1950s on RX only for ADD/ADHD, now available without RX as it is relatively safe...

Also forgot to say that my daughter really felt that the 'Get Smart' concoction helped her with her college math classes, she is slightly LD with numbers, constantly reverses them without realizing it ... she got all B+s...

hope that helps, short of posting the exact site...

all the best,
    Victoria
    [This Message was Edited on 11/04/2006]
  10. victoria

victoria New Member

I know what you mean, especially with word or name-finding; I think that's the worst area for me. I'd be madly writing every stray thought down if I were trying to write a story, I doubt I'd ever get the story written! I'm not a writer, but I find myself having to do that to remember other things as it is!

As far as art, I haven't been able to really do any for the past few years, not enough energy as I've had to concentrate on my inlaws (MIL has dementia) and my son (chronic lyme) besides trying to do pre-emptive rest and take care of my self and my protocol, sigh!

My studio became the family 'junk room', I am slowly, ever so painfully slowly, getting it cleared out; I hope to be able to start painting and other things within a few months. I do have to say, painting does energize me in a way that is unexplainable... I really do get a high off of it that is unlike anything else.

If you're feeling stressed, you might want to look at L-theanine, an amino acid... it has helped my son (Lyme caused heightened anxiety in him) as well as me in really stressful times as well.

all the best,
    Victoria

11. DorothyVivian

DorothyVivian New Member

Sounds like you and I are going through similar struggles getting our studios cleared and organized.

About 15 years ago, my studio was burglarized and literally all of my art supplies were taken! Including things I'd had since childhood when I first began studying art. This was a crushing experience on top of the fact I was extremely ill when this happened. And also, I've been trying to work part-time as a counselor. So it has taken me all this time to find what is missing and to replace them.

You know how we become fond of certain tools, like certain brushes? It has been very difficult for me to recover from these losses. Some items are no longer made.

If I recall correctly, you are a pastelist. Do you use dry pastels, or oil pastels and those that can be used with water? And any particular brand? (I haven't much experience at all with pastels.)

Anyway, I'll be 'pulling' for you and interested to learn from you how you are dealing with clearing and reorganizing your studio.

Best of good fortune to you!!

With love, Dorothy
  12. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Victoria, I'll check into that site. Nice to know it helped your daughter with her math....it's not my son's thing either! Terri
  13. victoria

victoria New Member

you're welcome, I hope it helps your son too!

My daughter's not big on taking supplements of any kind, but that is one she keeps taking... so I guess that speaks for its self!?

all the best,
    Victoria

14. victoria

victoria New Member

Dry pastel, but for the life of me cannot even remember one brand name right now?! But I especially like (for realistic small works) the carb-othello pencils, as they have the greatest range of color. My strongest forte is realism, have to push myself to loosen up to be more abstract or impressionistic actually, especially when it comes to faces.

I can identify with how you felt... well, burglary of any kind doesn't leave a good feeling, but when the stuff you really value is missing, it is much harder to deal with.

So what types of techniques are you experimenting with? I always loved mixed media, altho i was never really good at getting good results with that...

And what kind of counseling are you doing (or did)? I was actually a hypnotherapist for a while, a long time ago, worked with my husband who's a psychologist (now retired/has RSD). I think there's a huge overlap with these occupations, lolol!

I'll be rooting for you too!
    all the best,
    Victoria