Brain fog - very scared

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lvjesus, Jan 13, 2012.

1. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

The past few months I have been having problems at work, making mistakes, silly things that I never did before and I wanted to think it was just having too much to do and too little time and going too fast, but today I had a conversation with a coworker about my issues (or she had a conversation with me - long story) and problems with my work and, long story short, she wound up asking me if it could be my medicine.

Well, I sort of broke down (she knows about the fibro) and said it wasn't the meds (I don't think, but again, another story) that it is part of the fibro and talking about it made me realize how scared I was of it and I got very upset, but in the end I felt better that things were out in the open and hopeful that it will not be thought that I am just slacking, or even that I don't care, which is what they think now.

I know there is info on the board already about these things, but it is hard to search so I hope some will help me out with suggestions. What do you do for brain fog and has anything helped?

I am on Savella, which has been great for me, and I wondered if it could possibly be that but I cannot find anything connecting the two when I looked it up. I could try to back down my dose and see if that helps.

2. clementyne

clementyne New Member

is something that most of us with Fibro have had to deal with and I wish I had an answer for you but I don't. I just wanted you to know that you are not alone in this.

There are many people on here who are very knowledgeable about this DD & all that goes with it so maybe someone will soon have an answer for you.

There are things that I do to help myself out with the fog. One is to take notes - I used to write them on anything but found that I lost them or threw them away so I got a little notebook that has a hard cover & I keep notes about everything! What I need to get @ the store, bills I need to pay, reminders to call my mother, even. I keep it in my purse so that I know where it's @. If I leave it laying around I end up searching the house trying to find it. I even make notes about where I parked my car. Then as I do what I need to do or whatever, I cross it off the list & once the page is done I tear it out & throw it away.

I just started taking Savella about 5 weeks ago (I think you answered one of my posts. I remembered your 'name' because I have Him, too!), I haven't read that this is a side effect & I sure hope it's not!

I will be praying for you ....

3. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

for posting Clementine. I keep notes too. Weird thing is I don't FEEL fogged. Thats the scary part for me. If I'm having issues shouldn't I know domething is wrong? CanI feel normal and still be fogged?

We have a new person in our office who will take on some of my work and I will be able to take more time with what I do. All I know to do is double check everything I do. It will take more time but I dont have much choice.
  4. Picklington

Picklington New Member

Sorry to hear that you are suffering with this symptom. I find folic acid very helpful with brain fog. Flax seeds/linseeds are also very good for brain function and fatigue. They have to be ground up (or milled) so that your body can digest them properly to get the benefit. Celeriac is also supposed to be very good but the smell of the tablets drove me mad so I hated taking them, so I'm not sure if it worked. Fish oils are good too.

Sometimes it will just happen and there's nothing you can do to prevent it, but if you can feel that your brain isn't functioning properly, a trick you can try is to do something that stimulates both sides of your brain. A good subtle trick you can do at work is as follows:

Sitting upright in a chair, rest your hands on your knees, palms down. Tap your left foot and at the same time pat your right knee with your right hand. Then swap over. Doing these 2 actions at the same time but on opposite sides helps wake your brain up a bit. It's no caffeine but it can help a little!

Another option is listening to brain training/Neuro-Programming (not to be confused with neuro-linguistic programming which is more psychology-based) tracks that play sounds that alter your brainwaves to be more alert. You can also get these for pain reduction and deeper sleep. I have found these helpful in the past.

Yes, you can feel normal but still be affected. It's a bit like when you've had a few drinks and you feel perfectly fine, but then you realize you can't actually do things quite as easily or precisely as usual! You are not alone.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/13/2012]
  5. clementyne

clementyne New Member

I don't usually feel foggy but it's hard to ignore when people say "oh, we talked about that last week!" or whatever - and I'm thinking "Huh? We did?" Kind of demoralizing, isn't it?

6. 3gs

3gs New Member

Totally get this one! If I relax most words will come back to me. The more tired or stressed the more brainfog.

On youtube is a video explaining brainfog best one Ive found. tells why.

Vit d3 really helped me with this and depression!!!
  7. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

Thanks for the tip. I think that is a great exercise since you can to it anywhere. Incidentally I tried dropping the Savella to 25mg twice a day to see if that would help. Big mistake. I didn't THINK it was helping with pain, but now I am not too sure. Today, day two of my "experiment", after church I was hurting ALL OVER. It was pretty horrible to say the least.

My DH said it best though - he said why do you think you can play around with your meds on your own? I apparently shouldn't be doing that ! LOL

8. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

you have had such a rough time. All I can say is fibro SUCKS
  9. crickett

crickett New Member

I hate this brain fog my family does not understand I do not drive alot of times because I'm afraid I will forget where I am at it's like a split second my brain goes blank. And I have been having alot of what I call brain pain or weird headaches . I have noticed as each year passes I seem to be getting worse. I saw on the news last week that they were using people's own stem cells to help people with ms . Along with 3 other new meds . Why can't they help us???? So tired of this miss having friends not able to work. Sorry just having a bad day
  10. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

No need to apologize. Here, at least, we know that, if not all, most understand us perfectly. I was thinking today how I was talking with my coworker Friday about how I know everyone has things to deal with, but yesterday when I was like the walking dead, I was thinking, YEAH, BUT IT AIN'T LIKE THIS!!!

I know others have pain. My husband, for one, has back pain every day, but the fatigue! I know that, unless they have the flu, NO ONE can fathom how bad that is. I can remember before the fibro there was never a day I felt as tired as I do now unless I had the flu. The flu is as close I know to fibro fatigue.

Hope tomorrow is better for you. I am glad to say that today was a better day for me. I have been having some costochondritis issues the past couple of weeks, so I am juggling pain management some, but I have more energy today. Thank God. He holds me up even when I can't stand.
  11. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Are you taking B12? The best forms are sublingual methylcobalamin or hydroxocobalamin. It's helped a lot of people with brain fog.

12. crickett

crickett New Member

I take the holistic heal sublingual b12 every day but still have brain fog???
  13. In addition to the things already mentioned, I will personally vouch for
    1. GINKGO BILOBA being effective in helping memory loss (several studies have shown this, and at least one that contradicted it used the wrong dosage). You must take 240 mg per day; less won't work, more won't be any more effective.
    2. PHOSPHATIDYL SERINE for overall brain functioning - 100 - 300 mg per day.
    It's easy to find other recommendations. Just go to ProHealth's on-line store, and on the left is an alphabetical list of specific complaints/problems, including cognition and memory (maybe brain too). Click on one of those and you'll get a list of supplements they sell for that problem. You have to read the label information to make sure you're getting the right thing at the right dosage though - some of the ones that claim to be the "most complete" or "most effective" very much are not what they claim.
    Some CFS/ME doctors are now prescribing Adderall or similar stimulants to help with brain fog problems. I have CFS/ME and have been on Adderall only a short time but have noticed a significant improvement in memory - it's the most effective thing for brain fog I've ever tried.
    And last, it also sounds like you need more rest.
  14. Allen

Allen Member

I am confused (no pun intended) But assume brain fog is the same as the short term memory loss that many of us Fibro folks get. If so....its embarrasing, upsetting and people don't understand until I explain it. What is amazing is that I have the most incredible long term memory about small things and big things.
    It does not scare me and just upsets me. It is not related to Alheimerze disease.
  15. GeminiMoon

GeminiMoon Member

I recently bought myself a pretty little notebook to keep in my purse. I keep all my notes, lists, reminders, etc. I love it & it really helps!
  16. clementyne

clementyne New Member

about how I make notes to call my mom ... just the other day she called me (she has Alzheimer's) & when I answered the phone she said "This is your favorite daughter!" ! I am ROTF thinking what a pair we are! The apple really doesn't fall far from the tree does it!?!