Brain fog when you are trying to PRAY?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hagardreams, Aug 21, 2006.

1. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I must say that God must have a good laugh sometimes. Going blank during the time you are trying to do good for others is pretty sad. I ask God to put me on hold until I can ask for his blessings when I am thinking right. All in all its really sad, but I know he understands, but it still is frustraiting.
    God bless, Julie
  2. BEARANDBUGSMOM

BEARANDBUGSMOM New Member

things while I'm praying and then I think back oh, yeah I was praying....it does what it wants to do now...Very frustrating!!

Bless,
    Kelly
  3. CHefPaula1965

CHefPaula1965 New Member

I was calling the insurance co today for info..
    When the lady got on the phone I could not remember what I had called her for!!! How embarassing...

Now I know that Father understands my brain fog........ and he loves me beyond it.......... when I pray and forget what I was praying about.... He is just there, waiting patiently!! What a Father he is!! I just love HIM!!
    PAULA
  4. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

Hi from another Julie here. I know exactly what you mean! I go to pray and my mind goes blank or I have anxious thoughts and can't concentrate on anything but how I feel when I am trying to think about and pray for others. It is disconcerting to say the least.

When I find I am like that, I read Psalms to the Lord instead of trying to come up with my own words. The Psalms are wonderful for praising God and asking for his help. Then I list very simply (and in almost a childlike way) petitions for other people. I can't elaborate or I get too confused. Also, writing prayers in a prayer journal is another concrete way to do it. Quite often I can write or type much better than I can speak or think. :)
  5. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Thank you, Lord, that you know my needs!

Most of my prayers become calls to Jesus, saying his name over and over.

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  6. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

God,whoever or whatever I was going to pray about.You know what I mean. You are the Lord ,My God Linda
    [This Message was Edited on 08/21/2006]
  7. caperkat

caperkat New Member

That's a great idea to read Psalms in place of a prayer when the fog hits. I definitely have that issue when I'm praying.

kat
  8. BronzeWomn

BronzeWomn New Member

I get this more often now also,,and maybe its cause iam in my menapause years. I normally just write a letter when i pray. Just write it down when u think of it. Yes, God knows our needs and what we want to ask him anyway.
  9. SweetT

SweetT New Member

So my solution is not to say long prayers, and to avoid praying when I'm really, really sleepy. But it's still hard. I still forget what I want to say.
  10. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

I know this is not funny at all, but its so nice to hear that others understand what I go through. I havent had such a good laugh in such a long time. Thanks to all that replied.
    I have always wanted to try to get on a game show, but now I know that I would really go blank at the wrong time. LOL! God is so good, and I guess just like a blind person will see again, someday we will remember at the right time again.
    God bless, Julie
  11. Mumof3blessings

Mumof3blessings New Member

I used to feel really stupid praying and forgetting what I was thinking. It is a real blessing that now I at least understand why it is happening. Prior diagnosis I thought God must think I am a total waste of space. But now I know he knew all along and totally understands.
  12. azbubba

azbubba New Member

...but if you're a Christian, check out Romans 8:26.

"In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express." (NIV)
  13. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

Thanks for that scripture. I am going to put that one on my list. I have a list of favorites, when I can read and comprehind what I am reading, I try to find things I forgot that were there.
    I like romans 2:1 about how you judge others, is how you will be judged. Its worded a little different than that, but thats what it means. I feel that way about this one, because of all those who have falsy accused me of something that I cannot help with the brain fog.
    God is good, and as much as I would like to vendicate myself, God says vengance is mine, sayoth the lord, so I try, when I can remember, to give it to God and let him deal with those that falsy accuse me.
    You just wouldnt believe my dads family, and some of the stuff they have accused me of, because of my brain fog.
    May God bless them!
    Thanks again to all of you for opening up and makeing me feel that I am in good company, you all are truly my favorite family members.
    Julie
  14. pamj

pamj New Member

Thanks for sharing that one with us, it's just right for when we can't come up with the words.

When I was going through an especially tough time last year with the illness, I would just kneel beside the bed, bless myself with holy water that my aunt gave me, and just hold onto a few written prayers that I had printed, and some given to me from my mom & aunt. Sometimes my husband would ask me if I'd like him to read them for me, and I'd just hold his hand & listen while he spoke.

It was some of the most powerful praying I've ever done, and I didn't have to say a word (or think of one).

Julie, That's sweet that you said you asked God to put you on hold... Although you know it's not necessary because he knows what is in your heart :)

take care,
    Pam
  15. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

when we can't pray or don't know how, The HS intercedes for us.
    But, don't chalk it all up to brainfog. Satan doesn't want us communicating with our Father, and will use whatever weaknesses we have to prevent this. JMO

Blessings,
    Raz
  16. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I learned this method a while ago and sometimes it helps me to pray using the "five finger prayer" method.

First - thumb - pray for those close to you (family, friends, etc.)

Second - pointer/index - pray for whoever led to Christ or helps point the way to God (priest, pastor, etc.)

Third - middle (longest finger) - pray for leaders (world leaders, school administration, etc.)

Fourth - ring (weakest finger) - pray for the weak (those who are ill, children, poor, etc.)

Five - pinky (smallest finger) - pray for me

And sometimes all I can say is Good Morning God, thank you for this day, I love you, please bless everyone.

Sometimes I will pray for people as they come into my mind...especially people who have hurt me and cause me stress.

Blessings,

Lolalee

17. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

18. azbubba

azbubba New Member

Glad you enjoyed the scripture. It's one I've known for years. Even before I got FM (or got dx'd, whatever), there were times my brain would go blank praying.

Thanks be to God that He knows what we want...even when we don't.

God Bless.
    Bubba