"brain freezes"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by loto, May 16, 2010.

1. loto

loto Member

Hi all
    Anyone else having more and more "brain freezes"?

Lately mine are getting worse.
    For instance, the other nite I was wandering around my yard pulling weeds, etc (which I really love to do---relieves stress for me), and I was messing around with some honeysuckle.
    So, my husband hollers out to me asking me what I'm doing, and I said, "straightening up my......" --For the life of me I could not remember the name of the honeysuckle! I sat there for probably 4 minutes trying to think of what it was called, and finally I had to ask him what the %^&# it was!
    I've been doing that more and more lately, it seems. It's especially embarrassing at work when I'll be mid sentence and my mind will just go blank. I just laugh it off, not wanting anyone to know I'm really having this problem a lot. VERY FRUSTRATING!

2. loto

loto Member

I do take Cymbalta...120 mg daily. I have been taking Cymbalta since 2007, though, after I had back surgery for a ruptured disc, and still had nerve pain after. Of course I didn't start out at that mg, I gradually went up.

So, don't know if it's starting to give out on me or not. I have tried to stop the Cymbalta and try other anti-depressants, but couldn't get through the withdrawl of Cymbalta, or the side effects of the other meds. If I ever do decide to go off of Cymbalta for good I will probably have to be hospitalized till withdrawl symptoms go down to a quiet roar! LOL

Thanks for the reply!
  3. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, aussiewoman.

Please note that I'm not suggesting the following to provoke any disputes about orthomolecular vs. pharmaceutical treatments, but rather because I think it could help you.

The problems with low levels of neurotransmitters in CFS (which the drugs you've mentioned are directed at treating) are caused by insufficient production of the neurotransmitters in this disorder. This insufficient production is ultimately caused by the partial methylation cycle block, which is linked to the folate metabolism and the biopterin metabolism. Tetrahydrobiopterin is necessary for the production of the neurotransmitters from amino acids.

The orthomolecular approach, in this case treatment directed at lifting the partial methylation cycle block, can restore normal production of the neurotransmitters. The drugs do not do this. Rather, they inhibit the uptake of the neurotransmitters, and thus artificially keep more of them available in the nerve synapses. Unfortunately, this approach does not always work, or keep working, and it often has unpleasant side effects as well, since drugs are foreign substances in the body and often have unintended consequences.

If you get to the point that you aren't satisfied with the results you get from these drugs, you might consider the orthomolecular approach to restore normal function. In this case, that would be something like the so-called Simplified Treatment Approach. It is described at www dot cfsresearch dot org including the protocol, the biochemistry behind it, and a report on a clinical study that included thirty women, which showed significant benefits within 6 months.

Best regards,

Best regards,

4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Lori - I don't know how old you are. I was having the same problem last year, however, for me it was down to perimenopause and hormones, not CFS or FM. Since starting on progesterone cream the problem seems to have gotten much better.
  5. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, aussiewoman.

I was suggesting the Simplified Treatment Approach, not the full Yasko treatment program.

The Simplified Approach costs less than $3 per day, and it won't take away your appetite.

Will it work? Well, a lot of people have found that it has worked for them.

Best regards,

6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

My "brain freezes", such an apt description, have shown improvement since diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea. This may not be applicable to you but if your brain fog is getting worse I would have it checked out. If nothing is found then at least you have some assurance that something else is not going on. But having CFS/FM is not that reassuring either. God, it can sometimes be a no win situation.

Yes, it could be the fibromyalgia/cfs but it is so easy to blame everything on it. Right before I got diagnosed with the OSA I had an episode where I could not think of my granddaughter's name. I was not even talking to anyone but just thinking and that scared the you know what out of me.

My BF's are mostly word retrieval. I do still get them but they have definitely improved since getting proper sleep which is so important to all of us. So at least some of it was caused by the OSA. Will it get even better? I guess time will tell.

I hope you find something to help but as we all know, what helps one person doesn't necessarily help another. I think that is true in general but even more frequent when people have our type of DDs.

I wish you luck and keep us posted about what is going on.

Take care.

[This Message was Edited on 05/17/2010]
  7. loto

loto Member

So far, Cymbalta is the only medicine of it's kind that I can take---side effects of others were too much for me.

I also take Adderall. It's really helping with my fatigue and overall "brain fog", but I still get those dang freezes where I just lose memory of words! LOL, it's hard to explain, but for me there's a difference between the fog and freezes.

My gyno is in the process of consulting with my primary doc to see if I can take Wellbutrin also. He wasn't sure if taking it with Cymbalta was ok or not. Still waiting for my primary doc to get the letter from my gyno. Gyno was out of town all last week so the letter hasn't made it to my other doc yet.

I'm glad the Wellbutrin helps you, aussie. I'm hoping I'll be able to take it also. I hate taking so many different meds each day, but I'm like you, I'll take whatever will help, as long as it doesn't hurt me, that is!
  8. loto

loto Member

Thank you for your concern. I've been wondering that myself. I plan to talk to my doctor about it when I see him about the Wellbutrin. I was prescribed that dosage if I remember correctly by the neurologist that diagnosed me with FM 2 years ago. So, it has been a long time that I've been taking that dosage! That's probably why when I've tried to go off of it to try a different type of that kind of med that I just can't do it.

Thanks! Hopefully soon he'll get the consult letter from my gyno about the Wellbutrin and I can get everything straightened out.
  9. loto

loto Member

Hi, I will turn 41 next month. Funny you should mention the perimenopause and hormones!!
    Just a couple of weeks ago I went for my annual exam and blood was drawn to check those levels!

They all came back normal, as well as my thyroid results.
  10. loto

loto Member

I'm sure I have some kind of sleep problem. Just never have had any testing to find out.

Since January I've been dealing with suspicious skin lesions and such (had a malignant melanoma) and am scheduled to have a few more checked out next week. Also, I've got to back tomorrow for another mammo and ultrasound. NOT freaking out about that yet, as I've been told that is pretty common to have to go have them re-done. Went last week for the very first one in my life and have to go back---don't have to say that it's pretty discouraging!

Anyway, if I ever get done with all this crap I may pursue the sleep testing!

11. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, gapsych.

I'm really glad to hear that diagnosing and treating for obstructive sleep apnea has helped you with word retrieval. I can certainly testify that getting a CPAP machine (and now an APAP) has worked wonders for me, including improvement in short term memory. And I second your suggesting of checking for OSA if brain fog is worsening.

Best regards,

12. Maryfibro2004

Maryfibro2004 New Member

I lots a job because of it.So my husben had to take a job in Montana. I have been on Cymbalta it made my sleeper then i saw.Milnacipran did nothing at all.Prozac made me feel more forgetful. Lyrica put 15lbs on me in one mouth and made my brain freezes wors.The dr tells me to loes wight but it is hard if the Lyrica puts on more wight.