Brain Mapping Help For FM????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pat460, Mar 18, 2007.

1. pat460

pat460 New Member

Came across Brain Mapping on the web. I think the concept is very interesting. Has anyone ever had this done? If so, did it help with your treatments?

Thanks, pat460
    [This Message was Edited on 03/18/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 03/18/2007]
  2. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Sounds like something a neurologist would order.
  3. pat460

pat460 New Member

"Brain Mapping is a special procedure used to find areas of abnormal electrical activity in your brain. This technique records and produces a color-coded map of the electrical brainwaves in various areas in your brain. Also called Quantitative Electroencephalogram (QEEG), brain mapping pinpoints specific areas within your brain that are acting abnormally. Once these areas of abnormal activity are found, the information can be used to help find appropriate treatments to reduce your symptoms of pain and fatigue."

They put a cap over your hair and attach the electrodes. Takes 2-3 hours in a hospital or clinic. I was curious if anyone had ever tried it. The idea is that FM is characterized by over-stimulation in certain parts of the brain and under-stimulation in other parts. Creating a map can pinpoint the areas causing FM symptoms. Then medication and/or therapies are prescribed to normalize brain activity.

What do you all think? It could really help us or is it junk science? Please post ALL opinions no matter which side of the fence you jump on!
    Thanks, pat460
  4. mezombie

mezombie Member

I had it done, but for purpose of documenting my cognitive impairments only.

As to the therapy, I'm only aware of cognitive rehabilitation, which I believe is a type of biofeedback.

A local doctor was using it for an FM study several years ago, but I can't find a thing on it. I know she wouldn't take people with CFS because they got too tired from it.

Dr. Cheney commented on it once. He felt it was fine if you continued it indefinitely. Once you stopped, you lost the benefits.

I don't think it's total quackery, but I think it is definitely on the fringe.

You might want to contact some reputable rehabilitation centers that deal with brain injury for more information.

I hope this helps.

5. pat460

pat460 New Member

Thanks you all. My interest is really peaked now!

Anyone else? Anyone?
  6. glenpr

glenpr New Member