BRAIN MRI & LUMBAR PUNCTURE (SPINAL TAP) FOR CFS/FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by jjblessed, Aug 20, 2003.

1. jjblessed

jjblessed New Member

DUE TO THE COMMON SIMILIARITIES BETWEEN CFS/FMS AND OTHER AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES, PARTICULARLY MS, P L E A S E
    "DEMAND" THAT YOUR DOCTOR HAVE A NEUROLOGIST REQUEST AN MRI OF YOUR BRAIN AND A LUMBAR PUNCTURE (SPINAL TAP) TO EITHER RULE OUT MS (MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS) OR DETECT IT IN CASE IT IS PRESENT.
    UNFORTUNATELY, A SIGNIFICANT NUMBER OF PEOPLE WHO ARE ACTUALLY MS PATIENTS (OR VICE-VERSA) HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED.
    T H I S I S V I T A L !!
  2. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

I would wait on the Spinal Tap, and see what the MRI result's are. I say this because the last time I had a Spinal Tap, I ended up in bed for 3 week's. They had to keep giving me shot's to deaden the Spine, and then when they finally got me Numbed, it took a long time to Get a Draw. Which had to much Protein , and also Blood in the Fluid.

Everytime I got up, I would get a horrible headache, and the holes in my back from the needles wouldn't close up.

The only thing this Neuro said was to "Quit Drinking or it will Kill You", wow what a dx, for all that crap I went through.
    We now know that was the beging of my FMS Symptoms, and they will not do that to me again, Unless I am unconsious, or it's Life Threatening.

My Youngest Brother has a bad time with needles also, he too get infections at the needle site. He has FMS and HepC. along with other conditions, and they are alway's wanting to stick needles in him, He got smart and said no way because of the Side effects he had to go through.
    MRI's are easy to do, compared to the Spinal Tap.

Good luck to you, please keep us posted on what you decide to do,
    Sincerely,
    sharon
  3. kace

kace New Member

Hello jjblessed! i am a work comp case, had a BAD fall about a year ago. 46yr old female. long story short, i FINALLY saw a GOOD work comp doc last week who totally believes in fm.....he has referred me to a nuerologist but he seems to think i have ms and not fm. wants me to have a brain scan. so, i have been sorta freaking about possibility of ms UNTIL i saw your post. i was wondering if fm was close to ms...do you know if a brain scan is the same as an mri?

i believe i have a spinal cord compression (it was a very bad fall) that is causing and exacerbating my fm. the work comp doc says he wants to rule out ms and if it is NOT ms, then he says he has no problem diagnosing me w posttraumatic fm.

should i ask the nuero doc for an mri? will a
    brain scan do the same? ive read about lumbar punctures too. thanks so much for your post jjblessed, i am so grateful i came here this morn. my emotions have been on roller coaster and now i've calmed somewhat and am back to thinking its Just FM!!! the nuero office supposed to call today and tell me when to come for apt. thinking it will be next wk before i go, but want to be prepared to ask correct questions of nuero doc.

love and blessings and peace and love again to you jj. thanks again, Karen
  4. lease79

lease79 New Member

from the symptoms that I was suffering with that I had MS was well, but a MRI of the brain ruled it out.
    I'm really glad that I had the MRI dnoe, even though I was really scared at the time.

Lease
  5. GooGooGirl

GooGooGirl New Member

I actually had 2 MRI's done on my brain. The first one showed a lesion in the corpus callusom? which could have been either consistent with migraines or a possible MS type lesion. I went back 3 months later and had another one with special attention to that area and there was no lesion seen the second time. I think I would like to have another one done but my neuro says I don't need it, he is sure I don't have MS. I have thought about having a lumbar puncture but I'm really too scared. I don't think I would ask for one, but that's just me, I'm a chicken when it comes to any invasive testing.
  6. bookworm43

bookworm43 New Member

Hi jj,I had a mir scan done, after complaining of right side tingling from head to foot.The scan revealed I had had a stroke, they are worth having done , after been told all this time, I had a back problem, it sure was relief in a way to find something.