Brain Problems

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mrcpvls, Jul 29, 2003.

1. mrcpvls

mrcpvls New Member

I'm pretty discouraged with the problems I have been having with memory, thinking etc. I can't even play a game because I can't seem to remember how to spell. I used to have a fantastic memory and now I am concerned that I won't be able to work at my profession any more. Can't drive much any more because of sensory overload. Today I just want to cry.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You didn't say--what are you doing to try to heal? Do you have a doc who specializes in our illnesses? Are you taking meds and/or supplements?

Some believe our illnesses are progressive. I think that's because they aren't treating them and if left untreated, new symptoms will appear.

There is a lot which can be done to help with symptoms, but it's not easy. The first thing is to find a good doc who is knowledgeable about our illnesses. Then, treat the symptoms, starting with the worst symptom first.

Many of us suffer from chronic infections of opportunity and it is important to treat these infections and at the same time, try to build the immune system back up.

Unfortunately, we are all so different that we each have to find what works for us. This takes time and patience as it is often a trial and error effort.

Our minds and bodies have memory which we retain and when we achieve a level of wellness, this memory takes back over. All is not lost, it's just not presently working right. You will have to figure out how to relieve your symptoms and get back as much function as possible. Good luck to you.

I know that right now it seems you will never be well again, but it is possible to get better. It's a lot of hard work, but this is the best place to start.

Love, Mikie
  3. nancyw

nancyw New Member

Hi mrcpvls: I've had the same lovely problem for the last year. I've always had a great memory for details and am extremely organized. I've been an admin assistant for over 30 years and those are some of the skills you need to be a success. Now there are times I can't complete sentences because I can't remember simple words or just plain forget what I'm talking about. I'll ask my daughter the same questions 5-6 times a day and she just rolls her eyes at me. It's mostly my short term memory that the worst. Was trying to play the game "Sorry" with my grandson the other day and he kept having to remind me what the rules were (he's only 6). Very disconcerting feeling. When I go shopping, I seem to get really confused - just too much going on. Had to drop out of classes last fall because I couldn't "process thoughts" at all. I am now taking an on-line course for medical transcription that I can do at my own pace and hopefully be able to work at home when I finish by end of this year. It's a really weird feeling - kind of like you're out of control; especially when I've been in so "much control" my whole life. This is actually called "fibro fog" and can be terribly entertaining sometimes with people who know you well. Mikie (our moderator) said it's like playing charades and she's right! Very fun for the grandkids. Oh well, if you can't laugh at it, you'll cry - SO LAUGH or you'll make me cry, too. Hang in there!
  4. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

You didn't say how long you've been ill. My brain/sensory overload problems used to be worse. Of course, I'm not sure if I'm better because I moved to a rural area, or if it's just been a long not-having-as-many-problems phase. I used to have a great memory and was detail-oriented so sometimes forgetting "little" things (like forgetting to turn the heat on or off, or forgetting to lock the door at night!) can really be annoying. As for driving, I always have to drive with the sun visor down, and often have to turn off the radio. But things were worse when had to I drive every day.

Like I said, I'm not sure what helped. I know I read a lot. Several people say they have problems reading. I don't know if I just continued reading through mine or what--I do know it's easier for me than watching TV. (The great thing about books is you can read a paragraph as many times as you need to. After 3 times I give up, but it's no big deal because I'm talking fiction, here. Self-improvement/educational stuff tires me out after 10-60 minutes.) I also play computer games--simple logic and word games as well as adventure. It takes me longer than it would have before and I have to quit or retry things a lot more often, but I just do it.

What I've had to do in every job since I got sick was make "cheat sheets" about how to do things.

Anyway, I hope some of the things I mentioned help you. I know they recommend reading and crossword puzzles for people with Alzheimers, so maybe that really is what worked. (Most of my improvements happened before I tried much except moving and changing my diet.)