Brain Scan, Do you think it would help to have one done?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by forfink, Nov 23, 2006.

1. forfink

forfink New Member

Just was reading over some old posts on this subject. I wonder if knowing a lilltle more about what is going on in our brains, if that would help to diagnose us better? Do you think our regular insurance would let you have this test done?

I'm just curious, would love to know if after 20 plus years of having fibro, what is going on up there in my brain????? Maybe some of you have had some expeience with this subject.....
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

As far as I am concerned, you should have any test you can to rule out any other causes for your symptoms.

I think insurance will pay if the doctor is trying to rule out a certain condition.

Many of us have so many other conditions in addition to fibromyalgia or CFS.

I believe they may do brain scans to diagnose MS. I hope others respond to add more information.
  3. Catseye

Catseye Member

I won't have any more tests done unless I know what the treatment options are afterwards. I have refused many tests because either the treatment was something I wouldn't do or I could treat it with supplements.

For example, they wanted to do a scan of my brain to check my hypothalamus. I said "well, what is the treatment if you find something bad?" The doctor said we treat the hormone imbalance.

I guess technically, they could also be looking for a brain tumor but since I already knew that many cfsers have problems with the hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal axis, I figured this was the reason for any hormone imbalance and the chance of a tumor was just too unlikely. Plus I wasn't about to have brain surgery, anyway. So I told him to just measure the hormones instead.

Start educating yourself about whatever test the doctor wants to do. They will assume you are ignorant about them and order tests that they know are not necessarily helpful. karen
  4. Andrew111

Andrew111 Member

I have chronic fatigue. I was referred to a neurologist who ordered an MRI of my brain. The insurance paid for it. My brain looked normal, but something in the picture showed a possible infection in the left ear. This led to more scans. Now I'm under treatment for an infection in my left mastoid bone and my sinuses. I don't see any way they could have detected this without the scan, because the usual symptoms are not there.

At first I thought they had found the reason for my CFS: that my body had been fighting this for a long time and wearing itself out. But as I'm under treatment for this, my CFS is not improving. And the comments from doctors lead me to believe that they doubt there is a connection.
  5. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

My neurologist had to request an MRI, regular doc cannot convince an insurance co that one is needed.

Epstein-Barr (CFS) can be a cause of Multiple Sclerosis (MS) or "multiple scarring". It shows up on an MRI as dead tissue. Thankfully, I showed no scarring.

A CT (Computerized Tomography) uses X-rays and won't show dead tissue, so this won't help you.

Since you have fibro, did you get checked for Epstein-Barr virus, cytomegalo virus, coxsackie and HHV-6? These are common causes of CFS.

There is also an MRA, MRI-Angiogram that looks for damage to any blood vessels.
  6. forfink

forfink New Member

Thanks for the detailed information on testing.
    All I have been tested for is the Epstien-Barr virus many years ago. The other test you mentioned aboved, I know I have not been tested for. Always just the regular blood test every year. This year I aded the Lymme Disease test and that was negative.

This gives me more food for thought and a few more questions to ask my doctor. Thank you so much!