Brain Teasers/ and Answers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Jan 30, 2007.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Ok, in response to a request, here's a riddle/brain teaser I found on the net:

An army general wanted ten soldiers to cross a river.
    There was no bridge and the soldiers could not swim.

The general saw a row boat in which were two children.
    The boat could only hold two children or one soldier at once.

Question : How did the soldiers cross the river in the boat?

And here's another:

In a school, three rings of a bell indicate recess time.

Most of the students try to get from their classroom to the school yard before the third ring of the bell.

There is a ten second interval between each ring.
    If two seconds are used to store their books...

How much time do they have to get to the school yard?

No isolation booth required. You may, if you like, call Regis Philbin.

[This Message was Edited on 01/30/2007]
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

1. Send one soldier over in the row boat. Have one kid swim over and bring the boat back. Repeat.? Or, have one guy row the boat over, and everybody else hold on and float across.

2. 17 seconds?
    [This Message was Edited on 01/30/2007]
  3. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Yes I'm just out of my isolation unit,haha.

Here's my answers for what their worth:
    1.I would concur with elliespad's answer,sounds quite plausible.Or how about using a rope to bring the boat back each time it drops a soldier off.
    2. 18????
  4. paulmack

paulmack New Member

I'm still pondering on No.1
    How about soldier No1 rows the boat to the other side then rows back again,thereby crossing the river.
    No2-No10 does likewise???
  5. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Did the soldiers walk across? You didn't say it was a deep river!

6. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Tie a rope to the boat. One soldier goes across, they pull the boat back, and so on till they are all over then the kids pull the boat back.

MMM I am going to say the book storage is right by the door, so 18 seconds?

I just know this is like that old one when the Berlin wall was still up. A plane crashes exactly on top of the wall. Which side gets to bury the survivors?

Love Annie
  7. rockgor

18 seconds is right.

The answer re: the boat is send 2 kids over. One brings the boat back. Soldier crosses. Kid goes back. Picks up other kid and they both cross over again.

Repeat till done. A rather cumbersome and lengthy process, but practicality is not an issue in this sort of thing.

Speaking of rivers, I was just reading that the first railroad bridge across the Mississippi was built at Davenport, Iowa. in the 1850s.

Shortly thereafter, as anyone who is attuned to the ways of the world would expect, a boat ran into the bridge. A lawsuit ensued. Guess who represented the railroad.

Alexander Graham Bell.

Oh, no. That's not right. Abraham Lincoln. There we are.

Where else can you be humorized and educated for so little money?
  8. sisland

sisland New Member

I Missed the Trivia! was busy with the new pup! He's a hand full! but very cute! he talks alot ( Whines alot) i mean! ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and alittle on the agressive side but i'm trying to Balance out that part of his personality with lots of Love and attention!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,The potty training is going fairly well i take him out every 45 minutes or so, and now i've incorperated treats into the situation when he goes!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,He can fetch ,sit , runnnnnn~~ and well, Lets just say I forgot how much work a new puppy is!lolol ,,,,,,,,,,,,,thanks for reading!.......S
  9. sisland

sisland New Member

Here's one for you,,,,Who was the only U.S. president not to be elected into office?
  10. rockgor

DO you mean the tied election where the House of Representatives eventually elected Thomas Jefferson?

I was looking at a quiz the other day. Picked "History" for a catagory. Every question was about Presidents. A rather narrow view of history, I think.
  11. sisland

sisland New Member

not even an eventualy election! Lets just say that He took over when someone eles got impeached! LOl i like Trivia! Doesn;t matter what kind ,,
  12. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

How about Ford?

13. sisland

sisland New Member

Hi! That's the one! good job! I know he passed away recently, But some say that he came into office with alot of stuff to fix (for lack of a better phrase!) ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,And gave it His all!,,,,Also Lyndon. B. Johnson was another one that took over with out being Elected! so that makes 2!,,,,,,S
  14. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Ford became VP when Agnew resigned in disgrace and became pres after Nixon was impeached. I think Johnson was elected after he took over for JFK but I wouldn't swear by it.