Brand new to Board ~ Desperately Seeking Good Doctor!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karebear2011, Feb 15, 2011.

1. karebear2011

karebear2011 New Member

Brand new to message board. Diagnosed officially 11-08. Dealt with many symptoms for years before that, starting at about 21. I just turned 31. I've been to several chiropractors. On my 3rd primary care physician in 3 yrs. Rheumatologist told me I "stumped" him and that he had never successfully treated FM nor did he believe he would before the end of his career. He said we could try new meds just for the sake of trying, but did not believe they'd be effective. Lupus and arthritis were ruled out and he again confirmed FM.
    Currently take 120mg Cymbalta/day to help "treat" although it helps a little, but not much. OTC pain meds do not work. Try to do as much as possible: fish oil, vitamin packets, apple cider vinegar, losing weight, yoga, exercise when not in pain, snake oil on skin, holistic patches, heat, ice, massages, massage chair, low carb, no carb, hot tubs, swimming, etc.
    Been having what I call a bad flare up for the last few days and at my wits end! Local Neurologist doesn't want FM patients. I also recently cut down to 4 days a week at work because of the terrible fatigue! Also deal with severe allergies, migraine managment,and anxiety.
    Im in the Springfield MO area. Im willing to drive for treatment! I really want a good doctor who understands this and can help!!!! Please. I am open to all suggestions!
    Thank you!!!
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I'm not sure what your Dr. meant by "never successfully" treated FM. If he means he'll cure it or make someone feel all better - he's right. Fibro patients are difficult to treat. Basically we're having our symptoms treated.

We want answers and many Dr's just don't have any. Thankfully I found a rheumatologist who is wonderful, very concerned about keeping me out of pain and also follows all of the research etc. being done.

I've tried many of the things you've tried above. No help for me either. I couldnt take Cymbalta, I got severely depressed and had to go off of it immediately.
    Yes, you do try new meds "for the sake of trying" because we're all different and who knows what might help you. I've tried many. Pain meds, muscle relaxers help me the most.

Keep stress at bay at all costs, good sleep goes without saying and don't give up on your search for a good Dr. They make ALL of the difference in the world.
  3. inprog

inprog Member

As someone already suggested in another post with a similar question, click at the top of the board to community, then to the right click on physicians and go from there to your state and click on that. Hope you find someone and don't have to wait a long time.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm glad you found us.

If you do a new post with your location in the title, it will increase the chances of getting responses with doc recommendations. Good luck.

Love, Mikie