Break-through anxiety

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sharon4d, Jul 21, 2006.

1. sharon4d

sharon4d New Member

I've been taking Cymbalta for FMS related anxiety for the past 2 years. About a month ago I started to feel like I was starting to have an anxiety attack again in spite of the medication. Today I had one that stopped just short of being a complete attack. I get the feeling of ice water in my chest which spreads to my arms and neck, then I start to get a panicky feeling.I somehow calmed myself today, but sometimes it's not possible. Can anyone relate to this? Has anyone found a chiropractic adjustment helps?

I have just lost a very close friend to cancer. She was buried today. I couldn't go to her funeral because she wanted to be buried in her home town in the eastern part of our state 7 hours away. She is the 12th person very close to me who has died in the past two years. I think this may be a reason for having a new attack, but then again, they started 9 years ago when nothing was really going on.[This Message was Edited on 07/21/2006]
  2. jsholden

jsholden New Member

I get major anxiety attacks. Until I found this site- I didn't know all attacks were Fibro related. My chest tightens up on me and I feel like I can't breathe. Its awful. Hang in there. I am not on meds. I have been to embarassed to talk to my doc about it. Maybe I will....
  3. sharon4d

sharon4d New Member

It may help to talk to your physician about it. It's scary...I'm so happy to have found this forum. I understand now how a support group can be beneficial.
  4. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

You said something like "until I joined this site I didn't know that all anxiety attacks were from Fibro"....

All anxiety attacks are NOT fibro related. I've never had an anxiety attack ever and I have a severe case of fm.

Please don't let anyone tell you that everything we go through is from fibro. Fibro has a significant set of symptoms but often, other symptoms are from other problems.

Sometimes I think it's like a "lazy doc" syndrome and when they can't help us with a pill, they just lump it all together and say, "well, you do have fibro".

Any type of chest pain/chest tightening should be checked with your doctor, not attributed to Fibro.

Sharon, I'm so sorry about your friend and the losses you've suffered these past 2 years. I'm not surprised you're having anxiety with all you've been through lately.

Have you asked your doctor about an adjustment in your meds?

Hugs,

Nancy B.
  5. PVLady

PVLady New Member

You should discuss this with your doctor right away. I am not familiar with Cymbalta but I have been discussing anxiety meds with doctors lately. One short acting drug that you can use off and on for "attacks" is Xanax, however I have no idea how it interacts with Cymbalta.

The doctor told me Xanax works really fast and wears off quicker, which is good I guess.

I saw a psychiatrist just to have medications analyzed. For me, he thinks I am "Adult Attention Deficit". I also have anxiety issues. The appointment with him really stressed me out, don't now why...

Hope you are feeling better.

Oh, I was going to say, with my anxiety, I also had insomnia. I started taking Restoril 15 mg for sleep and it helped the anxiety also.

6. sharon4d

sharon4d New Member

Nancy b, You are sooo right...and thanks for the hugs!
    [This Message was Edited on 07/22/2006]
  7. sharon4d

sharon4d New Member

One more thing, I have Klonopin to take to be a "boost" to the Cymbalta, but I can't take it all the time. I work 10 hour days, and you know how the attacks sneak up...that's why they're called attacks...and the Klonopin alone wouldn't work. That's why I started taking Cymbalta. I'e also tried Lexapro, Paxil and Something else, and Ultram and Neurontin which made me feel like zombie!! I don't know about Xanax. I'll ask...Thanks!
  8. nice2meetu

nice2meetu New Member

I suffer from panic also along with the fms.

I believe that maybe there is a higher incidence of pan and anxiety in us fibromites. Reason? FMS sufferers are in a near siezure state in the brain and if you are prone to panic attacks then the slight siezure type activity going on in the brain makes the panic and anxiety much worse. With FMS we also must contend with "racing brain" activity, too many thoughts too fast, and we overload. The panic is OUR way of releasing that over stimulation.

This is just my thought, not the "gospel" and I could be completely off.

On a side note, I feel for you losing so many you love. That would be enough to send anyone over the edge. God bless!