Breakdown of Immune System due to stress as cause...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NyroFan, Apr 20, 2006.

1. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

I have wracked my brain trying to figure out how I got both FM and CFS. The only thing I can think of is that I worked many years under super-high stress and also had super-high stress with ex.

All through the years I kept telling myself that I would pay physically from this because the body can only take so much.

Well, it happened. The diagnosis as I began failing year after year and had to retire on SSD. I believe that my whole immune system broke down and left me prone to this and other infections. Make sense? Anyone else believe you got it this way? I can not be the only one. Can I?

nyrofan
  2. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

Stress does run down your immune system which does leave you vulnerable to infection. Diet also played a part for me as well, I only ate junk food and went without sleep cos I was too wound up to rest with all the stress.

I knew I couldn't go on like I was doing also but I never realised that this could happen - if only!!

So you're not the only one that thinks this.
    Sue
  3. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Nyrofan,
    I think you have something here. I have just come to terms with the fact that I have been really stressed for most of my life, starting at 3, whtn I was placed in an orphanzge for several months (both my parents, together, were unable to handle a three year old!). I cannot think of one time in my life that I was not severely stressed, and forcing myself to trudge forward, except for a few years. One time I was wringing my hands so hard that my ring went flying across the room!

My diagnosing Dr. told me that I was suffering from post traumatic stress syndrome. I didn't believe her, until recently.

Good luck. I hope things work out for you.
    Terry

4. pemaw54

pemaw54 New Member

that Ive always been a worrier and so I was always under stress. I worked in stressful situations for the last 3 yrs before getting this DD.

Suzette
  5. kjfms

kjfms Member

...the May 2006 Ladies Home Journal has a great article on stress. I just read it...you might enjoy if you can get a copy of it.

Stress can make us very sick...feel better...hugs.

Thanks,

Karen
  6. davebhoy

davebhoy New Member

stress was definitely the main trigger for me.

if stress is a problem for you then managing it will definitely help. everyone who has recovered from cfs seems to have had some kind of relaxation/meditation stress reduction programme.
  7. tonakay

tonakay New Member

I know that stress caused my crash and burn for sure.
  8. wangotango

wangotango New Member

i was abused very bad by a step mom and i remember having that fight or flight feeling at bedtime because i never knew if she was going to masturbate me or beat the hell out of me. this happened from the time i was 5yrs old until i was able to fight back at 15 yrs old. it went on in the daytime as well.
    i asked a shrink if that system that turns on fear and hoplessness and anger which make the pituitary gland over work, does it just give out one day ! he said very interesting question, i ended up with a pititary macroadenoa as well as CFS and cluster headaces.
    i think one day they will like it togather.
    be welll bill
  9. futurehope

futurehope New Member

At to what stress and worries can do to your body. They all range from life-threatening illness to simple ones.

This is absolutely true!!!

Love and prayers,
    Brenda
  10. zerped

zerped New Member

Something that I could hear/read every day is that the body doesn't know that there's a difference between "dammit, I always get the slow checkout line" and "you're being evicted, and by the way, you have cancer." If I hit the panic button, I get the same response from my body. And the ironic thing is that I don't manage the stress I have today as well as I'd like, partly because of the stress I've had during this damn SSDI process!

There's an old Chinese proverb that says, "Do not swat a fly on your friend's head with a hatchet." I guess Step One is "Let go of the hatchet." !
  11. shell

shell New Member

Stress and anxiety are my mortal enemy, and after years of dealing with this, I realize that now everyday simple stressors affect my body like big ones now... but originally it was HUGE stress factors that brought me down. I think there is alarge percent of us in this category, even though it does not encompass everyone.
  12. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

The new study just reported, which links genetic differences or abnormalities in the CF patients, would assist in quantifying that there is a genetic component, in the areas where stress is managed, which, when subjected to stressors in either degrees, or in layers, finally is triggered and overloaded and it sort of zips out, the way electrical systems can be overloaded and they flip off.

FM just has to have a similar situation.

CF and FM may just be slightly different in the location of the genetic markers, or may be different intensities of the same disorder. Additionally, in almost all diseases, some individuals will not have all symptoms of the disease, and that may be what we see in FM and CF patients.

It may, in actuality, be the same disorder, which manifests itself slightly differently in different individuals with what is, essentially, the same problem. The basis is going to be genetic differences or weaknesses, which are triggered by different things, at different times, and with different intensities.

Abuse and stressors are going to play a part in it.

My father was abusive, aggressively and terribly so. he was an alcoholic and one never knew what would set him off. Later, he became totally out of control, and sexually abusive.

It set the stage for a situation where I never, ever felt safe, was hypervigilant, and then, after years of a very intense, stressful career, which I loved nonetheless, and then health, a terrible auto accident, and then a sexual attack, my body just rebelled and fell apart.

13. meditationlotus

meditationlotus New Member

prior to developing CFS. i HAVE ptsd. I was sexually molested as a child, physically and psychologically abused, raped by a stranger, etc. Plus,t I am a highly sensitive person and at times have preminitions that come true, and of course, if the preminitions are scary, then that just adds to the stress.

I guess our bodies can't take it all.