breakfast ?something I can make night before?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Asatrump, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

I am looking for something I can put together Christmas eve and stick in the oven the next morning. I have heard of recipes using sausage, cheese, etc. I want something that is ok to refrigerate and sit before cooking.

2. kjade

kjade New Member

and thought - I have the PERFECT recipe! Then I saw your post, and you talk about the recipe I was going to suggest. This is my favorite breakfast food for Christmas morning. And you have to make it the night before so it sits in the fridge overnight.

It is the egg/sausage/cheese bake. My mother has made this for years, and it's still one of my faves. If you want the recipe, I will give it to you. Let me know.
  3. sisland

sisland New Member

Just wondering if you made the BIG Chocolate Chip Cookies yet? I think i'll try it! Too ,,,,,,,the above breakfast casserole sounds good!
  4. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

No matter where I checked I couldn't find a recipe that I felt would really hold together for cd size cookies.

After all that I decided: it would be cheaper to drive out to the place that makes them, spend the $1.50 each and wrap them. Would cost me far more to go buy all new baking ingredients, plus probably end up with a big mess.

Color me chicken.... lazy...
  5. sisland

sisland New Member

Right! if you don't already have all the stuff on hand to make them ,,,it can be spendy!,,,,,,lolol! Your not a chicken just practical!,,,,,,,Since i sometimes sell cookies on e-bay then i usualy have all the stuff on hand,,,,,,Hope your having a great,,,Day!,,,,,,,,,,,Sisland
  6. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

Do you have the recipe for the breakfast casserole????????

7. kjade

kjade New Member

Hi Asatrump!
    Here is the recipe. Now I hope you have one of those beaters that sits on the counter and just beats things, because you really MUST beat the eggs as long as the recipe states. (my dh bought me my mixer a few years ago and it was the best gift I ever got - I love that thing. You just put everything in the bowl and start it up - you walk away and do other standing there staring at what you are mixing feeling like your arm will fall off!)

6 eggs
    1 3/4 cup milk
    2 slices bread - cubed
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp dry mustard
    1 lb bulk sausage
    1 cup cheddar cheese (I use a little more than that)

Brown sausage and drain
    Beat eggs 10-15 minutes with electric mixer
    Add milk, salt, mustard, bread, cheese and sausage.
    Refrigerate overnight

Bake at 350' for 45 minutes.

Enjoy!!! YUMMMMMMY!!
  8. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

Thanks for the recipe. I bet you are talking about a kitchen aide mixer and NOOOOOO I don't have one. I have a hand mixer, a blender and a food processor...... any of those handle the mixture??

9. kjade

kjade New Member

you can only use the hand mixer. I don't think the blender or food processor would work. You need to ask Santa for the auto mixer! I just made a cake, and ran around making lasagne while the cake was mixing - SO much easier than standing there with a mixer! I suppose you could try the other things, but I know my mom always made me do the mixing - it is so important for this recipe.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy. Please let me know how you like this should you decide to make it. This recipe has been in my family for so many years, but unfortunately, we only get it on x-mas - I'm already DROOLING thinking about it. AND I HATE EGGS!! This is the only thing I will eat with eggs, b/c it doesn't taste like eggs at all!
  10. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

thank you for the time and the recipe. No way I can stand with a hand mixer and beat 10-15 minutes, the thing would probably burn up.

any other recipes?
  11. biddys2007

biddys2007 New Member

Hi Asatrump: I have a couple of breakfast recipes will look for them in the a.m. and send them on to you. We have used them several times for xmas when our family got together and for some other occasions. Now hope I can find them that quick. Take care and I'll get back to you. Biddy
  12. sues1

sues1 New Member

Basic recipe has been posted. But I have NEVER beat my eggs that long. I might of been missing out on something. I will try to remember and try it.

I use more bread than that, maybe a total of 6 pcs., or less. Many times I add a can of cream of mushroom soup and a little milk. Sometimes also add fresh or drained canned mushrooms.

Since I am not a morning person and would not be up an hr. or so before others, I cook it ahead of time, cover and refrigerate.

Can be reheated in a regular oven or servings heated in the microwave.

This is a fail proof dish, or so it seems. Always good no matter how I fix it. I love it! Could be cooked in large muffins tins also. Leftovers keep well in refrigerator and this is good for brunches and also buffets.

[This Message was Edited on 12/09/2007]
  13. victoria

victoria New Member

Do you put this in a regular sized casserole dish or --?

And, how many people will this recipe feed (on average LOL)?

14. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

I am sick and downhill right now.. but will copy and hope things are better and try the recipe. Thanks to all who replied.
  15. boltchik

boltchik New Member

I saved your recipe because it sounds perfect for Christmas morning. Hope I do it right, I'll let you know. Thanks for sharing it with us, Kim :)
  16. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

thank you for the bump. Still sick and the thought of food less than appealing, but will copy the recipes you kindly all left.

17. kjade

kjade New Member

Your dish sounds delicious - I have saved it to try - thanks for posting.

You just pour the batter in a regular casserole dish (not the small one - I think they are 9 1/2 x 13 or something?) We usually have about 12 people, but we make 2 of them and that is usually plenty.

The good thing is, this is really good heated up or I even will stand by the fridge like a pig eating it cold, I love it so much.

We also usually have cinnamon muffins, tons of bacon, sausage, French toast and juice. It's my favorite meal of the year!