Breast Biopsy Flare?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ILoveGreen, Nov 28, 2011.

1. ILoveGreen

ILoveGreen New Member

I went for my annual mammo which led to a diagnostic mammo and now a biopsy has been ordered. I went for a second opinion on the reading of my mammo films, which have shown calcifications for the past three years, also this year the calcifications have formed a cluster which is "suspicious", deeming the biopsy necessary.

Every time since I have had FM and had an out-patient invasive procedure done I've gone into a several-week-long flare if not longer. I'm wondering if anyone else has had a breast biopsy done, and if the titanium chip implant has caused any scar tissue problems in the future. Also, has anyone had a malignant calcification? Everyone I've talked to and read about on message boards has had benign biopsies for calcifications, which makes me wonder if this procedure is even necessary in the first place! I've heard it's very painful and few if any accommodations are made for those of us with chronic pain conditions. Any suggestions?
  2. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

and glad i did as a benign biopsy for the results.
    My suspicious area was diagnosed 3 years ago and i was having the diagnostic every 6 months.

Most important for after the procedure is follow all instructions they give you. Absolutely no lifting and keep the ice pack applied as they say.

Had mine 9 weeks ago, bruising is now gone although i have the shooting pain and i cannot determine if shooting pain is fibro or from the procedure. i had the shooting pain also before biopsy but now its a deeper shooting pain.

I also had the titanium chip placed as a marker for future mamograms. My next mamo is scheduled 6 months and then i will be curious if then will be once per year or always 6 months.

My experience with the procedure was a super strong burning feeling although the entire area was numb, also did have extreme fibro flare for weeks afterwards. They did explain the burn feeling i would have before the procedure.

Early detection is important, for suspicious area this is absolutely necessary. Had to let them know all of my meds and supplements before procedure, some i had to stop taking 3 days before biopsy.

Will be thinking of you with good results for you.
    Keep us posted how all went.
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I had microcalcification clusters. They tried to do the stereotactic biopsy on me but couldn't reach all of the places. That part was painful because they were pulling and tugging. Tried 8 times to get to it.
    I ended up needing a surgical biopsy.

I was SURE they were benign. Unfortunately they weren't. This just happened in Oct. Two weeks after getting diagnosis I had a bilateral mastectomy.

Do get the biopsy done. I felt the exact same way. Especially since I found a lump first, which WAS benign. I especially thought surgery was a big waste of time and money, but it's a darn good thing I went through it.

Good Luck to you!
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Janalynn, I'm so sorry to hear of your diagnosis and surgery. I hope you are recovering well from the surgery. Thanks for this much needed reminder to us all.

Love, Mikie
  5. ILoveGreen

ILoveGreen New Member

Janalynn, I admire your strength throughout the process of your breast cancer. I'm sorry you had to go through all of that. I can only imagine how nerve-racking it must have been and may still be.

My experience went quite differently: I went for a second opinion. Another diagnostic mammo was ordered, which was inconclusive, but conclusive enough that they concurred on the necessity of a biopsy. The calcifications were apparently so close to my rib cage (I am rather flat-chested to begin with, barely an "A") that no matter how hard they pulled and squished, they couldn't get a good image. I lost count of how many more times my left breast was scanned (15+?) before the final scan on the biopsy table after which the Dr. entered the room and said, "You can jump for joy! I am finally able to see between the layers and determine without a doubt that your calcifications are benign! You do not need a biopsy!"

After relating what happened to my ultra-homeopathic chiropractor, he said:"Now wait and see. In five years you will develop cancer in your left breast from all of the unneccessary exposure to radiation." He also went into a spiel about fueling the healthcare machine with taxpayer's money. (I am disabled and have Medicare, for which I pay $96.50 every month plus $41.00/month for supplemental coverage.) I left his office feeling as if I never wanted to go back. I was following the advice of my GP by having the mammo in the first place. She is the prescriber of my pain medication. If I challenge her recommendations, I risk losing my "decent" relationship with her. The chiro only charges me the amount Medicare covers ($25) and has suggested I change supplemental care providers to one that covers chiropractic, but the premiums are much more than I already pay and I can't afford it. I used to think he was different than the rest...not driven by $ and compassionate about those of us who suffer from invisible illnesses. However, I have observed an increasing trend among my healthcare providers in their obvious disbelief of the existence of FM and all it entails. They have little if any idea that we know our bodies and what will set off a flare, although now that I think of it, maybe the radiologist really DID read my chart and took note of my fear of a flare and that's why she called off the biopsy at the last minute. It's all too vague for me. I feel exhausted after having to explain myself over and over and over again, yet extremely thankful for not having malignant calcifications even though I agreed to a test for something I knew I never needed in the first place!

I'm with jammin on steering clear of mammos from now on. Thermography seems like a more prudent screening method which can determine the necessity of a mammo.

How can we be the master's of our own health when we are shackled by the very people who tell us to be?