BREAST BIOPSY UPDATE...LOSING MY MIND :(

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by lgp, Apr 2, 2013.

1. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Just to update those of you who followed my previous post, I did have a stereotactic biopsy of the breast, and the findings of that warranted a surgical biopsy two weeks ago. The finding of the biopsy was a condition called ADH Atypical Ductal Hyperplasia. all findings negative thank God. But now, according to my doctors, I am at a higher risk for breast cancer than other women, and they are both pushing for me to take a five year course of the drug Evista. They are both so gung-ho for this drug, and it is scaring the life out of me, because I have read so many horror stories about this drug. I have some time to make this decision, so if any of you have experience or thoughts on this drug, please, please, please let me know. This whole process has been such an ordeal, and I just do not know what to do. Please help me if you can.

Laura

[This Message was Edited on 04/02/2013]
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I know it's scary. I went through Breast Cancer recently - had a double mastectomy just a little over a year ago. Before undering the biopies, I was told there were three things types of cells they look at. A - Atypical (they will 'get rid of') B. Benign, C. Cancerous. I had C. in one breast. Several microcalifications clusters that were cancerous. I had both removed an in the path report they found atypical cells in the other breast, so I was glad I got both done at the same time.

Since you have some time to think about, I certainly would. I'd do some more research. When they say, a higher chance of developing breast cancer, what percentage rate did they give you? Would you rather have a lumpectomy if that were a choice or is it? (just wondering)

I will do some poking around to see what I can find for you. I just wanted you to know that hearing anything related to cancer is scary. I remember the day very well. I was SO sure that my biopsy would come back negative that I went to the appt by myself. The stereotactic biopsy couldn't be done on me and boy did they try for a LONG time (ouch), so I had to have it done surgically.

TRY to hang in there and remember this isn't a rush decision that you have to make, that is good news. You have time to do more research, maybe get a second opinion? Other options?

Prayers and good thoughts are coming your way.
    Janalynn
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I know it's scary. I went through Breast Cancer recently - had a double mastectomy just a little over a year ago. Before undering the biopies, I was told there were three things types of cells they look at. A - Atypical (they will 'get rid of') B. Benign, C. Cancerous. I had C. in one breast. Several microcalifications clusters that were cancerous. I had both removed an in the path report they found atypical cells in the other breast, so I was glad I got both done at the same time.

Since you have some time to think about, I certainly would. I'd do some more research. When they say, a higher chance of developing breast cancer, what percentage rate did they give you? Would you rather have a lumpectomy if that were a choice or is it? (just wondering)

I will do some poking around to see what I can find for you. I just wanted you to know that hearing anything related to cancer is scary. I remember the day very well. I was SO sure that my biopsy would come back negative that I went to the appt by myself. The stereotactic biopsy couldn't be done on me and boy did they try for a LONG time (ouch), so I had to have it done surgically.

TRY to hang in there and remember this isn't a rush decision that you have to make, that is good news. You have time to do more research, maybe get a second opinion? Other options?

Prayers and good thoughts are coming your way.
    Janalynn
  4. MsE

MsE New Member

At least, not until you have talked to at least one other doctor about it. Don't forget that drug companies "push" their drugs in doctors' offices via salespeople.
    Sometime they offer more than a coffee mug with their name on it to convince the doctor to prescribe the medication. So, if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't take any medication that I knew had some nasty side effects unless I was darned sure it was absolutely necessary. :)
  5. MsE

MsE New Member

At least, not until you have talked to at least one other doctor about it. Don't forget that drug companies "push" their drugs in doctors' offices via salespeople.
    Sometime they offer more than a coffee mug with their name on it to convince the doctor to prescribe the medication. So, if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't take any medication that I knew had some nasty side effects unless I was darned sure it was absolutely necessary. :)
  6. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I just came across your response, and I thank you so much for that. So sorry for what you have had to deal with in this past year, and I thank you for sharing it woth me. I have not given my situation much thought, as my beloved father passed away two weeks ago, and I have been beside myself with grief, funeral arrangements, and taking care of my mom. I know I have to return to taking care of myself. I just do not know how much more I can deal with.

I do not see my doctor until June 10th, and I am seriously leaning toward opting out of the Evista. I have some time to make that decision though.

Take care -- Laura
  7. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I just came across your response, and I thank you so much for that. So sorry for what you have had to deal with in this past year, and I thank you for sharing it woth me. I have not given my situation much thought, as my beloved father passed away two weeks ago, and I have been beside myself with grief, funeral arrangements, and taking care of my mom. I know I have to return to taking care of myself. I just do not know how much more I can deal with.

I do not see my doctor until June 10th, and I am seriously leaning toward opting out of the Evista. I have some time to make that decision though.

Take care -- Laura
  8. Marta608

Marta608 Member

First, let me say that I'm so sorry for the loss of your father. It takes awhile to heal the grief that comes with losing a parent, no matter how old we are.

You've gotten some good advice here. Last week I had a breast MRI which gives a very clear picture of any bad cells. I recommend one for you instead of a mammo the next time you're due. They aren't cheap since (for me) Medicare won't cover them yet, but it was some of the best money I've spent in my life! All clear! Next year I can go back to a regular mammo.

As for Evista, my doctor suggested it for osteoporosis of the hips which I was found to have after my last bone scan. A second doctor said "You MUST take it". It, too, is very expensive, and wouldn't you know this would be the year that I'd elect to have a deductible on my drugs? It cost me over $5 a pill.

I found that it increased the pain in my joints, not enough to quit for that alone, but still a factor. Of course, the big risk with Evista is blood clots but since I take aspirin for arthritis pain, that didn't worry me a lot.

I have a friend who had a mastectomy and now takes Evista for the protection it offers against invasive breast cancer, the reason you'd be taking it. She has no side effects at all and her insurance covers all but $40 per month.

So far I've been little help. As for me, I'm increasing my natural calcium intake - not calcium pills - and crossing my fingers for now.

Good luck and God bless.

Marta
  9. Marta608

Marta608 Member

First, let me say that I'm so sorry for the loss of your father. It takes awhile to heal the grief that comes with losing a parent, no matter how old we are.

You've gotten some good advice here. Last week I had a breast MRI which gives a very clear picture of any bad cells. I recommend one for you instead of a mammo the next time you're due. They aren't cheap since (for me) Medicare won't cover them yet, but it was some of the best money I've spent in my life! All clear! Next year I can go back to a regular mammo.

As for Evista, my doctor suggested it for osteoporosis of the hips which I was found to have after my last bone scan. A second doctor said "You MUST take it". It, too, is very expensive, and wouldn't you know this would be the year that I'd elect to have a deductible on my drugs? It cost me over $5 a pill.

I found that it increased the pain in my joints, not enough to quit for that alone, but still a factor. Of course, the big risk with Evista is blood clots but since I take aspirin for arthritis pain, that didn't worry me a lot.

I have a friend who had a mastectomy and now takes Evista for the protection it offers against invasive breast cancer, the reason you'd be taking it. She has no side effects at all and her insurance covers all but $40 per month.

So far I've been little help. As for me, I'm increasing my natural calcium intake - not calcium pills - and crossing my fingers for now.

Good luck and God bless.

Marta
  10. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

any possibility of integrative MD's in your area who can discuss this issue.....

There are so many false reports on these and guess that's my huge reason for doing no mammograms....but this is me and I'm comfortable with my decision...

This is so scarey for women to go thru.

I believe I keep my breasts healthy with my daily Iodine dosing.

I just did a search on Coconut Oil and Breast Health and got a
    lot of info..Just a thought, I'm upping my CO daily for many reasons. jam

THis is kinda off your topic, but I have a really hard time trusting the medical world...back many yrs ago my mom was put thru massive radiation and chemo for what "they" said was annal cancer, but I always thought it was bleeding hemms she got so scared and let the docs do their thing....I didn't know anything back then that I know and think now plus I was on WC and she on EC....so I can't get that out of my mind about my mom and what "they" put her thru. I've had bleeding hemms off and on over the years and always think about that issue with her...I have NOT had any bleeding hems in a long time and my mom and I both have dealt with constipation issues all our lives...anyway, I had to throw this out...so very deep seated in me is a major distrust for western med.

During this very hard time for her, her female MD sent her a post card that she should get a mammogram, she was 86 and she told me about this and I said MOM, no way, don't even go there...your breasts are fine...she had NEVER had a mamm prior, she passed at 91. [This Message was Edited on 04/02/2013]
  11. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I'm with Jam - if you can find an integrative medicine doctor, do it. They're much more likely to work with diet and nutrition and supplements etc. If you go to acam.org, a website for IM doctors, they have a search feature where you can find practitioners.

I read a little about Evista. One of the things the package insert says is that it's to help prevent breast cancer in post-menopausal women who have osteroporosis - So I don't know if you are post-menopausal with osteoporosis, but that's who the package insert says Evista is for.

The drug package insert also states that the effectiveness of evista in reducing breast cancer has not been established! see http://www.rxlist.com/evista-drug/clinical-pharmacology.htm#CS - look near the bottom of the page where it says: "Effects on Breast" -

I don't blame you at all for being leery of this med and I'm really sorry for everything you are going through. It would be very scary.

Again, I'm with Jam on the iodine - read about it, it's very important for breast health as well as the thyroid, and most of us are deficient in it.

Again, if at all possible I urge you to see an IM doctor -

Best wishes,

Mary
  12. ameilie73

ameilie73 Member

A very diificult decision.

Both my aunts have had breast cancer, my youngest aunt 60yrs old is still taking the medication, she has never expressed any problem with it, however from the fear of having had breast cancer i dont think she questioned it just did has told.

My cousin, that aunts daughter had a ductal lump biospy it was clear. She has never been offered preventative medication. However, i live in the uk so all women over 50 get routine mammograms thats how they found my aunts cancer in time, if other family members mothers or sisters have had breast cancer everyone gets regular mammograms. Also because my cousins mother had cancer although in her 30's she also qualifys for regular mammograms. My mother could get tested to see if she carries the risk as both her sisters have had it but she wont. If she did and they found she was both my sister and i would qualify for the test and regular mammograms.

So i dont know, i mean if you search other peoples experiences of the drug i dont know how much of a balanced view you'd get because most people post when they've had a bad experience.

Im sorry i cannot be of any more help that offering you this

Ameile[This Message was Edited on 04/02/2013]
  13. Im so glad to hear that the biopsy was negative! But I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this other issue! I can imagine the anxiety you are feeling...

I, too, would be very leery of taking the Drug and would seek out an Integrative doc for his/ her advice. Sometimes these drugs cause us more harm than good... so I understand your hesitation.

I have no experience with that drug, but wanted you to know that I care and will be praying for you... That God will calm your fears and guide you to make the right decision... And lead you to a good integrative doc...

Blessings,
    Shel