Breast Cancer Petition

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gapsych, Aug 5, 2008.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I received this in an email. It looks like it is legitimate as it does take you to the Lifetime site. This bill sounds great, however, I would like to see it cover other medical procedures.

Sorry about making people cut and paste. I am still working on embedding a website.

> From a nurse:

> I'll never forget the look in my patients' eyes when I had to tell them

> they had to go home with the drains, new exercises and no breast. I

> remember begging the Doctors to keep these women in the hospital longer,

> only to hear that they would, but their hands were tied by the insurance

> companies. So there I sat with my patients, giving them the instructions

> they needed to take care of themselves, knowing full well they didn't

> grasp half of what I was saying,because the glazed, hopeless, frightened

> look spoke louder than the quiet ' Thank You' they muttered. A mastectomy

> is when a woman's breast is removed in order to remove cancerous breast

> cells/tissue. If you know anyone who has had a Mastectomy, you may know

> that there is a lot of discomfort and pain afterwards.Insurance

> companies are trying to make mastectomies an outpatient procedure.Let's

> give women the chance to recover properly in the hospital for 2

> days after surgery.

> It takes 2 seconds to do this and is very important. Please take the

> time and do it! Please send this to everyone in your address book. If

> there was ever at ime when our voices and choices should be heard, this

> is one of those times.

> If you're receiving this, it's because I think you will take the 30

> seconds to vote on this issue and send it on to others you know who will

> do the same.There's a bill called the Breast Cancer Patient Protection

> Act which will require insurance companies to cover a minimum 48-hour

> hospital stay for patients undergoing a mastectomy. It's about

> eliminating the 'drive-through 'Mastectomy where women are forced to go

> home just a few hours after surgery,against the wishes of their doctor,

> still groggy from anesthesia and sometimes with drainage tubes still

> attached.

> Lifetime Television has put this bill on their Web page with a petition

> drive to show support. Last year over half the House signed on. PLEASE!!

> Sign the petition by clicking on the web site below. You need not give

> more than your name, state, and zip code.
    <> )

> This takes about 2 seconds. PLEASE PASS THIS ON to your friends and

> family, and on behalf of all women, THANKS

BILLCAMO New Member

Thanks ! I'll check it out.

Shortly after I joined this forum , there was a post about thebreastcancersite. It was and is a place where anyone can help donate free mammograms. The click is free too.

I think I joined here in June 2003 and I have clicked for the free mammograms every day I've been on the puter ever since I was introduced to that site.

I lost my Mom to breast cancer.

Blessings ,

[This Message was Edited on 08/11/2008]
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'll check it out. I'm having ultrasound next Fri. as my mammo showed a nodule in each breast. It's probably nothing but I could use a prayer or two. Thanks.

4. sues1

sues1 New Member

I was told that I would go home the day after, before I went to the hospital. This was frightening and more so to my DH as he would be my care giver. He was afraid he would do something wrong. He had a mental list of reasons I would stay longer, but never got to use them.

The very next day I was more than ready to go home, less tham 23 hrs. afterwards. He did cook, gave me baths,took care of my drainage bags and all. It went easy really. I am lucky I had him, some do not have this advantage. I do not think all cases should go home right away, but in my case it worked well. I also have CFIDS/FIBRO and more. Also I am not young, I was 68 yoa. Only in my mind am I much younger!

Also he was prepared to stay home longer, from work, but I said GO. I was able to do much for myself in a short time and had family members that stopped by to see what I needed.

It was good to be home..........but each case will be different. But for most coming home right away is not so bad, if you have the proper ones to check on you and do things you can not do. It was not as bad as I expected,

UPDATE: So far so good. I had Chemo and then series of Radiation. Now on hormonal therapy. Every test shows no sign of cancer. I am doing well. That I expected. BTW, my cancer in my left breast was as big as a small orange. We never know if it will return, but I am blessed.

Cancer is NOT the death sentence it once was. We need to keep on supporting this cause though.

Blessings to all and gentle hugs............Susan

5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

How did your ultrasound go?

Thinking of you.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks for asking. I just had it done and the doc is pretty sure these are tiny cysts. I've had them before but it's been a while. I'll get another mammo in six months. I stopped at the library and decided to "pop in."

Love, Mikie
  7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

While you are here I am curious how you liked the ultra sound compared with the mammogram. I hate the mammograms as my costochonitis really makes them painful even without the CS, but they are so important to get.

My daughter had the ultrasound at age 25 but it turned out to be a small fatty tumor. I can't remember whether she said it was painful or not. I recently had a sonogram on my heart and the wand hurt so much and also gave me the same symptoms that they were thinking might be my heart.

Glad to hear the good news. I enjoyed hearing what you are doing instead of watching TV. Good for you.

I used to dare my students to go one night without TV and most could not do it. Too many kids watching TV when they should be out running around.

Take care and will be looking for when you are back online.

8. Jude

Jude New Member

I've been around this board for a long time but I'm not on everyday. This is one post that I feel that I need to respond to. There is no history of breast cancer on either side of my family. Over the years I've had two lumps removed that were "fibrocystic changes". So having a lump show up on a mamogram did not freak me out. I had a mamogram that showed tiny calcifications and advised to have a follow-up in six months. A lot of people have calcifications and they never turn into anything else.

Six months later I was busy and thought about skipping this appointment. After all--no family history of cancer, previous benign lumps, didn't smoke so I wasn't concerned. At the last minute I changed my mind and kept the appointment. The ultrasound showed a lump that hadn't been there before. Had a core biopsy that day but I saw the ultrasound as they did the core biopsy and I knew then that I had cancer. Lab reports confirmed three days later. Mastectomy was scheduled one week later. Three weeks after surgery I was in chemo for the next six months. After that I spent 12 months in a clinical trial.

Had I blown off that follow-up I would not be alive today. I am now considered a three-year survivor. Years ago I read a thread on the main board about the possibility of chemo helping FM; it won't.

For those women who don't have insurance, try going through the public health department. If a mamogram shows cancer you may be elegible for free care in some states.

9. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Thanks. Hopefully your post will encourage others to get mammograms.