Breast Tissue Pain -part of Fibro?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, Oct 27, 2011.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I not only get costo chondritis all the time, but my dense breast tissue is painful too! Breast check out fine, some fibrocystic changes but painful everyday. I'm 60, so post menopausal. Is this part of the fibro pain? I was also told I have CFS and myofascial pain (which I don't know the difference from the fibro trigger points).

Any suggestions for pain relief other than pain drugs? Natural supplements. I find that vitamin E helps, but not sure if you can take vit. E daily. Also heard of Evening Primrose Oil - how does this help the pain? What about fish oil?

And for people taking Cymbalta, does it really help for tissue pain? I'm afraid to take an SSRI for fear of the side effects. I'm super sensitive to meds.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is inflammation in between the ribs where they connect to the sternum. If you run your fingers down the sternum on the painful side and apply pressure between the ribs, you will find the sore spot. A good doctor of physical medicine or a sports doc should be able to inject it with steroids. I don't believe in using steroids for FMS but in this case, it's about the only thing which helps painful costo.

FMS tender spots are in specific areas; one can have them in additional areas as well. Trigger points are places where the facia has a tight lump, like a snag in a sweater. A good PT can help unkink them. FMS tender spots do not respond to this treatment. Massage may help temporarily but the tender spots just return. Trigger points can be worked out.

Good luck to you with pain. Sometimes, it takes several treatments to get help.

Love, Mikie
  3. MJSLawrence

MJSLawrence New Member

I'm a 28 year old male and I have this too so it definitely has nothing to do with menopause. I also had a mastectomy in my early 20s so it's much worse in that one but it is incredibly painful to touch and the pain shoots through the area with reaching and lifting some times...not fun. But I'm with you on this one...I def haven't ever found any legit solutions out there for it either...
  4. Picklington

Picklington New Member

Hello TaniaF,

I get that too sometimes and thought I had a lump at first, but it's a myofascial knot. I find that the Bowen Technique really helps (it's a bit like a cross between massage and reiki) or if I can't have that then deep tissue massage helps as well but that sort of massage is quite painful whereas the Bowen Technique is much less aggressive.

In response to your supplement questions, it's best to check with your doctor in case any supplements could interact with your medication, but here's some background info. Most studies show that it's safe to take vitamin E daily but there are dangers if you overdose (main symptoms being fatigue, headaches and diarrhea, so I would probably go for a low dose daily or a higher dose every other day.

Evening primrose oil is recommended for fibromyalgia because it boosts serotonin, which relaxes muscles (working in a similar way to Cymbalta, so it's definitely worth checking with your doctor that the dosage wouldn't give you serotonin poisoning if you are taking cymbalta already) - another similar supplement is starflower oil, which some people find more effective. Fish oils are beneficial for general brain health, memory and the "fibrofog" by improving concentration.

For myofascial pain, like the breast tissue pain, I take magnesium and calcium supplements, which both relax muscles and seem to help me. It's generally best to take both, or just calcium. If you take magnesium alone it can draw out calcium from your bones.

Hope that helps!
  5. ellikers

ellikers New Member

I echo what other folks have written about the important difference between tender points and trigger points. I was told I had fibrocystic breasts (little bumps of tissue in them) and was told to take evening primrose oil but I would urge caution when taking anything that can affect your hormones ... evening primrose oil can act like estrogen in the body, which is why it can be given to folks with hormone imbalances. But when I took it I think it actually amplified other hormonal stuff I had going on.

Can you visit a gynecologist about this? Maybe one who uses alternative remedies like oils, herbs etc.? I would want to make sure your hormones wouldn't be negatively affected by something you are taking.

I take fish oil and I think it really helps with myofascial issues ... also seems to help with skin and irritated tissue internally.

To add to the last post, I'm actually pretty sure magnesium does NOT draw calcium out of our bones. Magnesium and vitamin D works with calcium, and they actually help your body absorb and retain calcium. And calcium does not relax muscles, magnesium does ... calcium is actually involved with the contraction of muscle tissue. A balance between the two is actually important to both aid our bones and balance our muscular functioning.