Breathing Anomaly

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by auntienana, Nov 16, 2002.

1. auntienana

auntienana New Member

I've been diagnosed with FM and was wondering if anyone else has the same symptom as I do? That is, when I am stressed or overtired I breathe as though I am out of breath. This breathing was more significant many months ago and seems to be ebbing off.
    Also, I notice that I catch myself holding my breath to deal with the pain. When I am trying to clean my house, my son reminds me to breathe. Does anyone go through this breathing anomaly too?
  2. auntienana

auntienana New Member

I've been diagnosed with FM and was wondering if anyone else has the same symptom as I do? That is, when I am stressed or overtired I breathe as though I am out of breath. This breathing was more significant many months ago and seems to be ebbing off.
    Also, I notice that I catch myself holding my breath to deal with the pain. When I am trying to clean my house, my son reminds me to breathe. Does anyone go through this breathing anomaly too?
  3. dlizard

dlizard New Member

definately! I'll tell you what has helped me more than anything with it too.... you won't believe it but swimming!!! like doing the breast sroke which is an awesome water stretch... and the regular deep breathing you do in the pool is more natural to correct this problem... by the way... this is a symptom listed on devin staryln's site... ( mispelled some body help!!!! ).... its correctible though with practice I promise!!!!! Good luck!
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Shortness of breath is one of the many symptoms we seem to display. Dr. Cheney has a breathing exercise in an article in our library which is designed to help us with this and to increase the oxygen in our systems. This is important for fatigue, breathing, our heart/circulatory systems, and to keep down the growth of pathogens which usually thrive in a low-oxygen environment.

Love, Mikie
  5. Claypot

Claypot New Member

Hello,

I too find myself holding my breath all the time.. and without even noticing it until I am so in need of air!!! I have never looked into the cause I guess I just try to keep reminding myself to breathe since it happens so much. I guess this can now be added to my list of what to talk with the dr about. And I do get so tired just going up steps.. with no obvious reasons for it... must be another one of those Invisible symptoms such as our pain! LoL Thanks for asking this, its great to read anything that may help!!
  6. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

I can't breath at all. I get short of breath walking into the grocery store. I have to stop and lean on my cart and catch my breath when I'm in there. I'm panting by the time I get to the check out. The cashier looks at me strangely.
    Sometimes I get the huffs, I call it. It's like when a little kid is crying hard and starts the short jerky breaths, in nd out real fast? I'll just be sitting in my chair and I do it once or twice. Very wierd. It's involuntary too. Stairs? Forget it, I'd rather die. hehe. that's why my laundry goes for days sitting in the dryer.
  7. phenom

phenom New Member

i get this too to an extent - i'll 'forget' to breathe and then my chest will hurt and i'll remember! weird!

phenom
  8. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I am going to check out this article on the breathing exercise you mentioned. I definitely notice shallow breathing, & something I picked up on recently--that extreme heat (like a very hot bath, or drinking hot tea) for me triggers breathing difficulty. Once, I cool down, I breathe more normally.

Pam
  9. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Auntienanna, welcome to the group. As you can see the breathing thing is rampart with Fibro! I also have to remind myself to breathe deeply sometimes.

I also hold my breath when in pain, why, I don't know, unless it makes it feel less hurtful.

Glad you found our board, and hope we hear from you often.

Shalom, Shirl
  10. lease79

lease79 New Member

I am 23 & feel like 103. I can't even walk the block to the local shop, or I am out or breath & extremely dizzy.
    6 months ago I was playing sport, now I can't even walk down the street :(
    I just can't get air in or out at all, & then I start having heart palps & it is a wonderful combination. Throw in a panic attack & I am a total mess.
    One reason why I barely leave the house :(

Lease
  11. Val

Val New Member

I have FM along with other problems including Teitzes Syndrome. You have described exactly what happens to me.
    If you have'nt got the copyright on it, can I call it
    'THE HUFFS' too?
    I am unable to attempt stairs now and I have had to move house because of it.
    May your guiding star be bright...Val.
  12. contessa

contessa New Member

Also hold my breath during exercises, etc. Had a shrink tell me that the only people who never experience this are competitive swimmers, trained singers, and people who play woodwind or brass instruments. They're trained to breath. It's part of my anxiety symptoms so I've learned to live with it. This summer it got so bad though that I though I was going to die. Had a cardio stress test and a breathing exam. Found out I have asthma, so meds have solved that. Also some of the meds we take can cause breathing problems. I discontinued Salagen because of it, but I've started taking it again - I'm hoping the asthma was the real cause of my inability to breath. Salagen kicks in the operation of saliva. Anyhow, please don't just assume this is a side of your condition. Get it checked out because it can be caused by a lot of serious other conditions.