Breathing difficulty when lie down or sleeping?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by simonedb, Aug 25, 2011.

1. simonedb

simonedb Member

I have an emerging issue that when I lie down it starts to feel like I am constricted for air, like an obstruction. I can do it but its uncomfortable and gets worse when I start to fall asleep, I will gasp for air and wake up or twitch.......I have put on weight this year and have cervical stenosis so dont know if that ties in, havent had history of asthma nor horrible allergies, but have cfs/fm and probably auto immune issues. Its messing up my sleep because can only sleep a few hours if lucky in the last week because of it, took benadryl one night to sort of knock self out and worked sort of but I was told that may not be wise because if am having apnea or some obstruction not nec. good idea to take a sedative.

One medical person I spoke with said should get heart checked and would need to take home some sort of oxygen monitor. I am thinking it could be a heart or lung/respiratory thing, someone else suggesed GERD but i have had that a long time and never had this before.

anyone have experiences like this and can share what you found out or did about it?
  2. spacee

spacee Member

Of course, I am no doc. Have you tried going to sleep with pillows supporting your back
    so that you are in more of an upright (seated) position. I think the docs tell ppl with
    congestive heart failure to sleep like this. Ok, am remembering a couple of ppl I know
    that have had to do this.

I just had this experience with Hawtorne Berry (I buy the $5 Walmart kind). If I don't
    take it and walk on a treadmill, my heart wants to go right up to 104. That's walking
    at 1 mile in 30 miles..pretty slow. If I walk after taking the Hawtorne, I am walking along,
    not even thinking of my shortness of breath and my heart rate doesn't get above 94.
    So, I have made sure that I take it before I go exercise rather than after with a meal.

That's all I know. Not sure it would help or not.

3. spacee

spacee Member

I just bumped it up. It has a way to get more oxygen into the body without meds.
    Just incase it might help you.

4. simonedb

simonedb Member

hey thanks for the info
    i was sort of trying to do that last night, sleep at more of an angle, when i tried prilosec a few years ago I had to do that because it did something weird to heart b/p where lying down was uncomfortable. I need to get some bricks and someone strong to prop up head of my bed, thats what yr sposed to do too in case its GERD, thats what a nurse rec'd today, somehow I just am not convinced this is all cus of gerd right now.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have read that one is supposed to use pillows and not elevate the head of the bed; however, if you do elevate the bed, an easy way is to use PVC plumbing pipes. You need a large enough pipe for the legs of the bed to fit into. Cut the pipe to the highth you want to raise the bed and get someone to help you lift the head of the bed and slip the legs into the pipes.

Love, Mikie