breathing difficulty

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by djj, Sep 6, 2006.

1. djj

djj New Member

Does anyone have difficulty breathing? I can't seem to do anything at all without getting really out of breath. Dr. seems to think it's anxiety, but I don't FEEL anxious, just totally exhausted. It's like I'm so tired I can't breathe. He doesn't seem to think it's a heart problem, has looked at pulmonary function tests (they're ok). Put me on Lexapro (3 weeks now) and I can't see much difference yet. Could it be asthma? Help.
  2. Minji

Minji New Member

It's not just you. I have this too and am not anxious. I got an inhaler but it helps some. This is a new symptom for me.
  3. jengus

jengus New Member

Hi djj,
    I am interested in your foot pain and Cymbalta!! I have been taking Cymbalta 60 mg. once a day for over a year. It really has helped almost all my Fibro symptoms and I don't have any bad side effects. It has had very little effect on my foot pain. Can you tell me a little about your foot pain?

I am overweight and I know loosing weight would help, but it's very hard to do much when every step I take I am in so much pain that I could cry. I have had knee replalcements and my foot dr. thinks the way I walk is causing my toes to curl and that cause callusses on end of toes. Had pins put in several of my toes couple of years ago, but still no relief in pain. Dr. wants to do same thing to each of my big toes now!!!

Sure would be interested in your foot pain. How much Cymbalta do you take?
    jengus
  4. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I too have breathing difficulty. In fact that (and a chronic cough that lastest five months)was one of my main symptoms early on. I was sent to a pulmonologist and a cardiologist and my tests came back normal. In fact I always oxygenated at almost 100% even tho I was obviously having trouble breathing. They tried me on every inhaler known to man and none helped. It finally went away on its own for the most part although I still have problems now and then.

Sorry, not much help (kinda of like your Doc) but at least you know your not alone.
  5. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I have breathing problems, too. You might do a subject search on "breathing." I have it after almost any kind of exertion. My heart and lung tests and O2 levels were fine, too.

I'm learning that there a number of possibilities:
    heart problems, asthma, something called "neurogenic syncope"--a problem with the autonomic nervous system, I think. Quite a few people with CFS and some with Fibro have these mysterious breathing problems.

I would definitely get everything checked out.

Kholmes

[This Message was Edited on 09/06/2006]
  6. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Hi,
    I went through the same thing. Here is what caused it for me:
    I was put on a medicine that made me so weak that my heart was affected. OR maybe it was the other way around. Anyway, I could hardly walk to the mailbox.

I have been using acupuncture. I am now able to breathe deeply and easily. I dont get so tired or out of breath.

I have also been put on Oxygen at night. That has also helped with my breathing. I can now take really deep breaths very easily, and without coughing.

I hope this helps you, and you find the answer to your problem.
    Hugs,
    Terry
  7. Manaleon

Manaleon New Member

Yeah I developed asthma a few months after the initial onset of symptoms(i always feel like a doctor whenever i use terms like that). I know it started with the joints in my chest being inflammed and iritated and then the bronchial spasm started. One of my doctors gave me an inhailer and it helps when it's really bad.
  8. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

i've been having trouble breathing and having pain in my ches that shoots straight thru to my back. i do have asthma and i takes meds for. my resuce inhaler doesnt do a thing for these symtpoms. i went to my family pracetice doc who thought it was costochondritis since my peak flow was ok. but as a precaution, he sent me for a nuclear stress test which was fine. SO....now i see my asthma doc tomorrow to see if there are any other tests he can do to see how I'm breathing. this really sucks. I also have a feeling like my throat is tightening up as well. i have had problems with anxiety, but i take serax for that and i can feel calm, but still have this pain and breathing trouble.
  9. Lisa1

Lisa1 Member

I originally replied to the first message you posted then saw this one. Sorry!

This is one symptom that I don't think I've heard too many others mention, but I definitely have it. It started out as a chronic cough several years ago. I went thru all the different tests for acid reflux, pulmonary tests, allergy tests, tried meds for post nasal drip, inhalers, etc. Nothing helped with the cough and all the tests came out normal. The final dx's I got were asthma and post nasal drip.

Then, 3 years ago, out of nowhere, I was attempting to go to sleep when I felt I was being suffocated and just wanted to crawl out of my skin. However, I was breathing fine, I just FELT like I couldn't get a good deep cleansing breath. So of course by that time I did feel extremely panicky.

My nurse practitioner said it was an anxiety attack because I couldn't breathe because of the asthma. I never felt like I had asthma, I only had the cough. Anyway, she put me on Xanax, an anti-anxiety med. After awhile it went away.
    I would only have a mild problem every so often.

Last Sunday I had the worst attack I've ever had, or at least as bad as the original. I took my Xanax, my albuteral inhalers and sat up trying to concentrate on breathing. Of course, I always yawn a lot during one of these attacks because that is usually when I get the good deep breath I need. After awhile it calmed down and then I was able to lay down and sleep for a couple of hours due to the Xanax. After I woke up, it was as if nothing had happened.

Then, every afternoon this week when I get out in the horrible heat to drive and pick up my son at school (I live in Fresno, but it's a dry heat! lol) I would have another attack. Not quite as bad, but almost. It has only been happening in the afternoons and it seems when I get out in the heat. Of course the air here is bad as well, so I go thru the same routine with the inhalers and Xanax and then sleep when I feel like I can lay down without feeling suffocated.

Funny thing about the asthma is that I think of a person with asthma as one who actually can't get enough air in their lungs. But I don't think that's my problem. I'm actually breathing, but just feel like I'm not breathing deep enough.

I don't know if this makes any sense to you or if it even helps with your question. I am trying to remember to take my maintenance inhaler, Q-var, which I hand't been taking because it wasn't helping my cough. But I guess I'll try again to take this on a regular basis and see if it helps. The albuteral is a quick acting inhaler to help when you are actually having an attack.

Sorry this is so long. I just wanted you to know the background and what I've tried and gone thru. It's definitely a scary situation and I feel for you.

Have you asked your doctor if it could be asthma, even though the pulmonary tests came out normal? If you have bad air where you live, it might be worth a try. I don't think it could hurt to try the inhalers.

Take care and keep us posted on how you are doing?

Lisa
  10. Andrea4

Andrea4 New Member

and my spirometry was fine. he said that based on the symptoms i described, he thinks its gastrointestinal. my GI doc told me to take my Protonix at a different time each day (i take it 2 times a day) and to add 150mg of Zantac b4 lunch and at bedtime. She said if that didnt help in a week, we're looking at another upper endoscopy. blech!

i have to say i feel scared. i keep wondering if its really my heart and they missed it. my ekg was fine, i passed the nuclear stress test, so the other pain in my shoulders, neck and thru my back must be fibro while the pain in my chest, the shortness of breath and the burping must be the GERD.
  11. barbinindiana

barbinindiana New Member

I have a problem with breathlessness, and mine is due to an orthostatic intolerance problem.

If I'm on my feet very long or doing something like cleaning house, I'll start sweating get breathless and generally feel ill and have to sit down to rest.

I have to have a good long rest before I can get up again, or these symptoms will come on me quicker the next time. I didn't look at your bio before I started writing this, so don't know if you've got CFS, but OI is very common with CFS.

Barb