Breathing Is So Bad!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RENA0808, Nov 22, 2009.

1. RENA0808

RENA0808 Member

Why do I have so many problems with breathing?
    I can get breathless just sitting down and ANY kind of exertion kills me.

I used to love windy days cos I could breathe a little better with the wind but even that doesnt help now.
    Wearing clothes makes me worse.....esp a bra!!
    It feels as though I am so constricted and cant get any air into my lungs.

Anyone else?

2. Marlene35

Marlene35 New Member

I have the same exact symptom. Occasionally when I get into a bad relapse I will get this. Right now I have had it for 5 weeks. I have never known what might cause it, however, someone here on the board suggested that I may have Lyme disease. It can be a symptom of that.

It helps me a little to go outside on a windy day and get some fresh air, however, it doesn't totally make it go away.

Wish I could be of more help.

3. simonedb

simonedb Member

I get this every day at certain points longer upright but especially if don't lie down occasionally. i also go thru periods where I get it worse even if do lie down. Unfortunately I am having it last few days worse than usual and had it last winter from like feb to may, starting to wonder if it has soemthing to do with having furnace you live in a warm climate or also use a furnace? I need to use a/c in summer but that doesnt seem to bother me, so I dont know why winter worse cus I dont like to be out on super hot days either.

that is interesting about the bra......I just have become suspicious of that this year too and started unhooking it when at home if dont feel well.

I cannot find any quick fixes for this and I hate it, worst feeling. emergency c,caffeine, sugar, dif medications nothing fixes it when its bad this year, although in the past, for years, until these weird spells this last year, lying down/pacing helped prevent it usually as well as taking darvon (small doses) for some reason these two things for like better part of 16 yrs seemed to buy me oxygen and time upright, not a cure by any means, but slight improvement.
  4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

just wanted to say I can relate.....sorry, I haven't found a solution, though

for me it seems to get worse with the heat turned on, when I wear anything that is at all tight around the waist, when I am over heated or have overdone it in general, and if I eat too much (and for me this can mean just eating to the point of being full.....I have to stop when I am still just the slightest bit hungry) or esp after eating sugar (I mostly avoid sugar, but if I have some it does affect my breathing)

however, sometimes it happens out of the blue, as well

I do have asthma, too, but this is different than an asthma attack
  5. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

I had the same type of breathlessness issues that started late last year and took several months to clear up; the problem is the breathlessness has now come back again at the same time of year.

I had various tests done and they found 2 leaking heart valves and anaemia, either of which could be the cause.

In general, these type of breathing problems are due to anaemia, cardiac impairment or lung problems, but there are many other potential factors.

Not enough oxygen getting into the red blood cells can be a cause of breathlessness which is why breathing fresh air can help as can loosening clothes and not eating too much food per meal.

Air quality during winter is generally poorer than in summer which tends to aggravate breathing issues.
  6. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Please consider babesia infection as the cause of your breathing difficulty.

Babesia can cause air pages 22-27 of this important paper.....

Please also read my 2nd reply..(the one dated 11/20/09 12:49 pm ) to this post by Marlene:

All the best to you.
  7. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Rena, you are not alone with this one. I could be sitting at my desk at work and my breathing can become labored. I have FM. Bras are a killer, I hate them, I am constantly looking for ones that will not constrict my upper body, and I also think they contribute to costochondroitis, not sure I spelled that one right, but this is a condition so common to people with FM and maybe even CFS. You feel like your lungs and chest are restricted. Some doctors just call it "chest wall pain".

I had to chuckle a little when you said "wearing clothes makes it worse" because only people who come to this board will understand that statement. I always thought it was such a weird thing how certain clothes can just make my skin crawl, and yes, affects my breathing.

If my breathing gets shallow at home, I will just lay down on the couch with a hot water bottle and totally relax, this helps somewhat, but when it happens at work, it can put my in a state of depression and I feel anxiety coming on, it can be so hard to relax like that. Please know, you are not alone. Hugs, Chelz.
  8. caroleye

caroleye New Member

First, if I go outside, I have to wear a mask, as the air quality has become soooooooo bad, and I live right next to the ocean.

When inside, something that often helps is a chinese herb by Plum Flower called "Clear Mountain Herbs". Usually you can find them thru an acupuncturist, an herbalist or online.

I think part of it for me is also that I can't exercise anymore.

Awful feeling!

9. RENA0808

RENA0808 Member

I know all about costochondritis Chelz............I always thought it was a heart attack I was having lol.
    I could not move my body1/4 of an inch when it is bad.........horrendous pain!

The clothes thing is a real big deal for me.................I would go naked if I lived in a high rise and no-one knocked at my door lol.I cannot stand tight things and the pain from clothes and labels or anything touching is horrible.

Please read up on ALLODYNIA has so many answers to questions we have about this kind of thing.When I read about it I was amazed at the list.

It mentions the pain from clothing/touch/massage/heat/cold.

pains from burning/tingling/shooting/electric shock.

Body touch sensitive pain bra/waistband clothes/labels pain.

It sums me up really ..........apart from all the fibro stuff lol

10. RENA0808

RENA0808 Member

11. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have had the costochondritis for two days now. Thats why I am up at this time of the morning (its 6:30am in Louisiana). I had a heating pad on the entire chest, it hurts from one end to the other! Also my shoulders are hurting too.

Feels like a heartattack, but have had it off and on for years, so guess its not the heart :)..

Oh yes, the breathing problem! mine is worst when I first wake up, this can be from an all night sleep or just an hour nap. When I wake up, I have to stay in bed for at least an hour, drink decaf. tea, take a small amount of Xanax, and honey and lemon to get the phegm up. Its horrible. I am so miserable when I wake up, that all I want to do is go back to sleep! I cough horrible.

Yes, I hate bras too, and I don't have a large bust, I feel sorry for those who do if the bra bothers me so much! I let mine un-hooked, and I can't handle jeans that do not have stretch in them either.

What a misery FM and CFS is! People who are normals simply can't understand how we feel. Its impossible to explain to them. Even most doctors don't understand.

As for eating, I have almost given up on meat entirely. It causes me to choke, and then I can't breathe.

Hopefully someday they will find a cure for us.

It is hot most of the year where I live, and the a/c is on almost year round. Can't stand the heat, not even in the house when it is cold. I put more clothes on or a heating pad. Heat will smother me, also give me sinus attacks.

Will check the web sites you all gave. Thanks for bringing up the subject Rena !

Shalom, Shirl

12. Cole1983

Cole1983 New Member

I know how u feel. Everything makes it hard for me to breath also. Does things in the air hurt ur breathing also? That happens to me. Anything out of the ordinary constricts my breathing such as air fresheners, smoke, anything outside thats not fresh air lol things like that. If you suffer from Fibro that is a big symptom is environmental triggers along with other things. Do you use an inhaler? A rescue inhaler is great. Saved me many times. Talk to your dr abt carrying a rescue then its a little less of a worry.

I hope you feel better. (((((((RENA)))))))) Lots of love

13. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Yes, I didn't write all that bothers me, it would have been too long! I have Chemical Sensitivites too. I can't handle paint, sented candles, any kind of air freshners, all kinds of house hold chemicals, only soap powder I can use is Woolite, gas, any type of oils, certain soap, face/hand creams, certain perfumes, hair sprays, etc. The list is very long :)....

The only thing that has help me with plants/flowers is drinking water. I never drank water in my life, but I read a book about water. Since I started drinking half my weight in ounces of water a day, at least I can handle flowers, and natural scents. The only perfume I can wear is Oscar. or one that is made from natural flowers.

I can handle cigarette smoke, but not any other kind. No, I don't use an inhaler. I just put Oil of Oregano under my nose when I go in stores, it stops the headaches/sinus attacks.

FM is really hard to deal with.

Most of my clothes/sheets/spreads/etc. that I buy, I have to wash them at lease 3 times before I can use them. Most of the things you buy from Asia are sprayed with a 100% formalhyde, which is a killer to me. I got a rash once from a blouse from it, it took months to get rid of it.

I try to buy everything from the USA, but its very hard to do these days with all the outsourcing of our factories. The USA only allows 1% of formalhyde in their products. But I strill wash them too!

I clean the house with peroxide and white vinegar, and a little bleach. It works well. I can't handle anything else.

I have been at this now for 20 years, getting to be an expert at not getting sick!

My husband bought a kennel pad from China for my 15 year old Pit Bull. My poor baby got asthma from it after sleeping on it one night, he died a year later from heart failure. There was nothing the vet could do for him. We gave him all kinds of meds from the vet, but it didn't help. That was two years ago, and I still grieve for my well trained furkid. I miss him so much. I have been extra careful with that stuff since them. He was one healthy dog, he lived in the house, not a yard dog.. Now I buy used baby blankets from a Thrift Store for my two dogs for their kennels!

Thanks for answering my post, that was kind of you..

Shalom, Shirl

[This Message was Edited on 11/29/2009]
  14. RENA0808

RENA0808 Member

I understand about the chemical thing...........I had to ban ALL sprays and strong smelly things from my house.Only roll on deodorants for us.

Please check out the ALLODYNIA sites and let me know if all the things mentioned on it affect you.

I felt like a light had been turned on when I read it.It was just ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Take care everyone.

15. RENA0808

RENA0808 Member

16. RENA0808

RENA0808 Member

17. RENA0808

RENA0808 Member