Breathing problems--air hunger, please help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kholmes46, Apr 18, 2012.

1. kholmes46

kholmes46 Member

Been having bad chest tightness and air hunger, especially at night.

Not sure if it's due to muscles tightening because of high cortisol in the evening or mitochondrial problems, or heart.

Seriphos helps a bit. Having to take about a dozen of these a day lately.

Anyone else had this? Scary and no fun.
    Any ideas on alleviating it?

Can't wait for this relapse to start lightening up.

[This Message was Edited on 04/18/2012]
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Labored breathing is considered an emergency. You should not let this go. It may not turn out to be serious but please don't take a chance. Keep us updated.

Love, Mikie
  3. kholmes46

kholmes46 Member

Contacting my doctor again. My heart and lungs have checked out fine in the past, but time to get checked out again.
  4. kholmes46

kholmes46 Member

It does seem better when I move around, apply a hot pad, or do diaphragmatic breathing. It's also not bad when my body is not all revved up with cortisol. Think the problem is HPA axis/autonomous nervous system, but will definetely get it checked out. No sweating or other pain, so probably musculoskeletal, but a very frustrating problem.
  5. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I agree that you must get checked by a Dr to make sure you are not having a life threatening emergency.

After that is ruled out, read the information on pages 22-24, 26-27 in the link.

Babesiosis (a parasitic infection of the red blood cells) is known to cause air hunger. People with Babesiosis usually have other symptoms also such as fatigue, pain (ie: headaches), dizziness, etc.

You don't have to have all the symptoms on the list to have this infection since it can range from mild to severe.

Babesiosis can be spread by ticks or through blood transfusions.
  6. kholmes46

kholmes46 Member

I've looked into this possibility, too. My Igenex lab came back "indeterminate" on Lyme, and there are no LLD's around. Not sure where to start on babesiosis, and very concerned about herxing.
  7. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Do you mind if I ask what state you live in, if you are in the USA?

It would be worth getting better to find a Lyme Literate MD or ND who can properly evaluate you.

Even the tests for Babesia are not always accurate.

Igenex has a Babesia FISH test.

My Igenex western blot was CDC negative, but I had some lyme specific bands show up as positive and indeterminate which I compared to the western blot info on page 7 of this paper:

Can you post your individual band results from your Igenex western blot?
  8. kholmes46

kholmes46 Member

Thank you, Leah.

Nanie, I'm in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
    Right now, Santa fe is out of range.
    I'll have to see if I can find my results. It's been a few years. Appreciate your help.
  9. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about this latest development. Have you seen a doc yet?

A decade or so ago, a gal I played bridge with reported a similar problem.
    She was a retired nurse. She said it was very annoying, but very likely
    was the intercostal (rib) muscles. Which is what it turned out to be. She
    said it can be alarming, but is usually not serious.

Whatever it is, I hope it's not serious for you either.

10. kholmes46

kholmes46 Member

Haven't gotten in to see the doc yet, but will soon.
    Most likely that is what it is. It does feel like my rib muscles are constricting. Meanwhile, very discouraging to be back in bed with such a severe relapse. Feels like I'm going to be here for months.
  11. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Sorry to hear that it sounds like you cannot travel to see a Lyme literate MD.

I don't know of any in NM. Perhaps a really good ND could help you.
  12. slowdreamer

slowdreamer New Member

Hi Ken, It was good to see yr name pop up on the board.. I remember all the good work you did some time ago when you first joined the board.
    Re the chest issues;
    I found an article by Sarah Myhill on the symptoms of Mitochondrial failure which may interest you.
    Google Dr myhill The Central Cause Mitochondrial Failure.

Also for me, if am out of energy but am arguing with my body(usually Beginning of a relapse) I have have some of the symptoms you describe..
    I think Mg helps me a fair bit and the old one, to climb back into the energy envelope.
    Best wishes
    [This Message was Edited on 04/24/2012]
  13. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

I have had terrible trouble with air hunger. I asked doctors about it, but they said they couldn't fine anything wrong (you know, the same old story...)

Then I came across some info (I don't remember where now...) that said that a vit. B deficiency can cause air hunger. I tried taking a B complex, and later on that day, the air hunger was gone! So wonderful to be able to get a satisfying deep breath of air!

That was a few years ago. Since then, whenever I experience air hunger (usually after forgetting to take a vit. B complex), I just take a vit. B complex, and it alleviates the air hunger in a short while.

Another thing that works for me until the vit. B is absorbed, is deep breathing exercises: breathe in for four seconds, hold for seven seconds, breathe out for nine seconds. I try to do this as often as I remember (four or five times a day).

Just something simple to try (I love simple natural remedies!). I pray you get relief soon!