Breathing Problems from Mold Exposure?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by elliespad, Feb 10, 2011.

  1. elliespad

    elliespad Member

    Has anyone been exposed to Black Mold and developed severe breathing problems?

    In the fall of 2010 I saw my Orthopedic for Cortisone injections in my knee, due to bone on bone osteoarthritis. I quickly developed SEVERE joint pain, being completely bedridden, and developing increasing severe breathing problems. I've been to the ENT, he scoped me and said I only had 20% of my airway, due to inflammation. Did Spirometry which I performed badly on, gave me inhaler, repeated Spirometry, basically no improvement. Gave me Asthma Inhalers, quick acting, and steroid inhalers, for inflammation, NasoCort nasal spray to open up nasal passages, Claritan for Allergy.

    I told him this really flared after being in Orthopedics building. Our Hospital had their Rehabilitation Center there and had to vacate the building due to the mold problem. He said if this was due to the mold, it would get better with time.

    I'm still horrible, saw Pulmonologist, sent for more breathing tests, go back for followup on Monday. They don't seem as convinced as I am that this is due to Mold exposure.

    Has anyone else had similar problem, causing breathing problems, and how was it diagnosed, treated and resolved?

  2. kat211

    kat211 New Member

    My house is filled with mold. The people who sold it to me concealed it very well. If you search the posts you will find the details of our story and how it has effected us.

    We have been out of the house for a month now. We still have issues with congested sinuses and both cough up mucus and blood every now and again. We both have asthma too. But, even after only a month we are feeling better than we were before.

    The problem with mold exposure and illness is that there is not enough known about it.

    How long were you exposed to the mold? If it was only for short periods while at ortho appts and you were having reactions directly related to those exposure time then it sounds like and allergic reaction and should clear up fairly quickly.

  3. IanH

    IanH Active Member

    I assume you both have fibromyalgia or ME/CFS but
    Do either of you suffer from multiple chemical sensitivity?

    YOur reactions to mould may not be allergy.
  4. elliespad

    elliespad Member

    Hi Kat211, I was only in the building for about an hour three different times in the fall. Have been in there once a year for about 5 years. This has been going on since the fall, maybe Sept or Oct?

    IanH, I have CFIDS and Fibro both. On a scale of 1-10, I normally function around 2 or 3. I would say that for 20+ years I had symptoms of MCS, although was never diagnosed with it. When I had IV Glutatione, I felt that it cleared up.

    I go back to the Pulmonologist Monday. If he doesn't have any good diagnosis, I'm going to ask my PCP to give me nebulized Glutathione. What were your thoughts about it being MCD Ian?
  5. IanH

    IanH Active Member

    Moulds can release toxins which affect the immune system. This is different from allergy which is the immune system reacting to the prescence of foreign proteins in the mould cell or spore.

    For example streptomyces griseus, very common in household dust releases a toxin called valinomycin (its a natural antibiotic) but is also toxic. Research has shown that it interferes with the function of our natural killer cells causing immune dysfunction. There are other moulds which do release similar toxins. If you have ME/CFS this could make symptoms worse or make you more prone to respiratory symptoms to other irritants long after you have left the environment with the mould.
  6. elliespad

    elliespad Member

    IanH, do you know if there is a way to test for the presence of mold in the lungs? Online, I found a Conference in Burlington,VT in 2009 where a local doctor was a presenter. He practices Occupational Medicine. He might be my next move. There must be someone local who is treating all the people sickened from receiving physical therapy/working at the Rehab facility, which housed their therapy pool.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/12/2011]
  7. turquoise

    turquoise Member

    Could you quote the source where you got the info. that strep. griseus found in house dust releases valinomycin, and that it interferes with natural killer cell function?

  8. elliespad

    elliespad Member

    Turquoise, I did a google search and found a bunch. Maybe this will help.
  9. IanH

    IanH Active Member

    elliespad seems to have found the key references.

    The lungs and bronchiols are lined with "taste buds" and tonsil like organelles which detect toxins as soon as they enter the airway. These are part of the immune system. When acivated they send signals to the rest of the systemic immune system. I would suggest that you have had a reaction which will persist for some time in the abscence of the mould (if it was the trigger). I doubt the mould is in your lungs. I know of no way to test this though.
  10. elliespad

    elliespad Member

    Thanks for your reply IanH. If that's what it is, it sure is taking a long time to calm down. In fact, it's getting worse. My PCP also thinks it will go away with time, if the mold is the culprit.
  11. IanH

    IanH Active Member

    "I'm still horrible, saw Pulmonologist, sent for more breathing tests, go back for followup on Monday"
  12. elliespad

    elliespad Member

    Pulmonologist says it's NOT my lungs. They tested fine. He wonders if it's related to some undiagnosed heart condition. I said, well, most CFIDS patients have some Cardiomyopathy. He didn't know what CFIDS was, so I enlightened him. He says he is skeptical but wrote it down and wants to study up on it. At least he's interested and cares enough to research it.

    Says he doesn't see that I have Asthma. The ENT, who I've been going to for maybe 10 years, said my lung function was what he would expect of a 3 pack a day smoker. This guy see NOTHING. Story of my life.

    Wants to address my sleep apnea, which is significant at my last sleep study 6 years ago. I agreed to retest, only if I could get a different type of machine, as the other one made my lungs feel over inflated, air leaked around the mask and dried my eyes out, and every morning I'd wake up with it on the floor. Plus, I'm awake for HOURS during the night, as I have 3 OTHER sleep disorders besides apnea, and who wants to lay in bed for hours with a mask on while you're waiting to fall asleep. I know there's a type that reduces, or stops the air pressure when it senses you are exhaling. That might be better for me.

    I've actually had 2 good days breathing. Not sure why. My Thyroidless support group people reminded me I need my Iodine and Potassium, and I had been out of Magnesium. Had gotten some relief from inhalers, but didn't use any yesterday or today. Also, have stopped my Iron, not sure why, just felt I should. Anyway, glad I am breathing today.

  13. IanH

    IanH Active Member

[ advertisement ]