Breathing problems

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by golden, Aug 7, 2003.

1. golden

golden New Member

The last couple of weeks I have had breathing problems. My breathing is shallow. I need to take a deep breath every couple of minutes. A couple of hours can go by without the breathing problem and as soon as I think about it, I have the problem again. No allergy, heart and lungs are fine and I can climb 2,000 feet on a treadmill in 40 minutes. So it’s my nerves, I guess. Anyone have this problem and what can be done about it?

Golden
  2. deenapooh

deenapooh New Member

Do you have any chest pains associated with it or pains when you breathe? No shortness of breath with walking? Do you hear any wheezing? Coughing up anything, or any type of cold symptoms? Let me know. If not it sounds like it might be anxiety. If it doesn't go away, you might want to let a doctor check you out though. Keep us posted.
  3. kooky

kooky New Member

Hi Golden:

I have been having similar problems to yours. However, the breathing problems I have differ from each other. I have had yours type of breathing problems as well. Unfortunately, I did not find any cure. I did read in a book about this particular specific type of breathing problem, as well as allergies which causes the bronchials to sometimes constrict etc.... I also get breathless upon slight minimal exertion, but it is a different type of breathlessness of which I now know the cause.

The one you described as 'air hunger' and this doc's theory is that "the heart does not speed up quickly enough to meet the extra demands placed on it by exercise. Although the body's need for oxygen is increased, the heart fails to deliver." It does not mean that you have heart disease, just simply that you may be quite ill or perhaps have an infection that you are not aware of. Many sick have people have this particular symptoms. It is sometimes possible to wake up with this particular type of breathlessness. It is best not to worry and try and relax, it usually resolves spontaneously.

I was getting these without exercising because I am severely ill with the CFS. What could be construed as benign activity such as carrying a book or just sitting down reading a book, was just to much. However, I am better and more able, but I still get these exact breathing sensation as well as others. Mine are definitely not due to anxiety or panic. There is a breathing exercise posted on this message board recently which is excellent and helpful. If you cannot find it, let me know and I will send it to you.

Try not to worry bout it, and please keep us posted. YOu will be fine. These symptoms fluctuate. If it is of any consolation, I have heard of several CFS sufferers having this exact unpleasant breathing sensation.
    Take good care and king regards. Kooky.
  4. Madelyn

Madelyn New Member

Deep breathing exercises really helped me, and my daughter, when the peoblem was anxiety. We sometimes get into a habit of hyperventilating when nervous, and don't realize it.
    Do a search here and you will find good info.
    Anyone else here want to describe the technique?

Madelyn
  5. kooky

kooky New Member

Hi again Golden: find copied and pasted article re: breathing exercise. But make sure that you have no other associated problems such as asthma, pulmonary, cardiac/vascular problems, allergies etc....

Here goes:

The very simple breathing technique Cheney is recommending to all his patients can be found on Andrew Weil's tape of eight different breathing methods. This particular method is Weil's favorite - he says it's the most powerful way to treat chronic illness that he knows of. Ayurvedic physicians developed it 3,000 years ago. And 30 years of clinical experience now back it up.
    Here is how it works:
    1) Inhale through your nose for 4 seconds
    2) Hold your breath for 7 seconds
    3) Exhale through tightly pursed lips for 8 seconds, creating "back pressure" (you should be able to hear the air being forced out of your mouth as you do this.)
    Do this 8 times in a total of two and a half minutes. Do this twice a day - a grand total of 5 minutes a day. That's all it takes. (If you feel lightheaded, just do it 6 times or until you begin to feel lightheaded, then build up to 8.) You must be very faithful and consistent for this to work, and it takes weeks for the body to adjust the 2,3 DPG levels. But your oxygen transport will get better and better over time.
    What does this breathing exercise do? This method is based on the same principle at work in the marathon runners from Kenya who frequently win the Boston Marathon. They live and train at a high altitude. They run at 12,000 feet. To compensate for the lack of oxygen at higher altitudes, their bodies make a physiological adjustment, raising 2,3 DPG levels so more oxygen is released. The higher the 2,3 DPG goes, the easier it is to run. Then the Kenyans go to Boston, which is at sea level (with more oxygen in the atmosphere of course), and run their race. But their bodies are still set for high altitude, so they end up with more oxygen being transported into their tissues than other runners. They are superoxygenated, transporting oxygen like crazy.
    Dr. Cheney's goal is to “trick” our bodies into thinking we live at a higher altitude, thus raising our 2,3 DPG levels, thereby transporting more oxygen from our blood into our tissues. How is that done? By not breathing! This method is actually regulated breath holding. As you regularly breath hold, your O2 drops. You induce a state called desaturation. And for those five minutes a day of desaturation, your body panics. It believes it's high up in the mountains and it spends the rest of the day compensating for that (by raising 2,3 DPG), even though you're not actually up in the mountains. The body is so concerned with desaturation that even though you live in Dallas, for example, it will program your body as if you live in Denver (at a higher altitude).
    Besides being cheaper, easier, and more effective, Cheney says this method has another advantage over the rebreather mask: you can't "overregulate." With the rebreather mask you can "counterregulate" - the result is that you can get too much oxygen transfer going on, which will cause your body to lower 2,3 DPG, ultimately lowering oxygen transfer. This is why the rebreather stopped working for many of us after several months.
    With this breathing method, Cheney said that the body will raise 2,3 DPG to the point that it is beneficial, but it won't raise it so high that it "forces a more profound alkalosis" of the blood.

Do practice it daily, twice if you can, it really does help. Take care. Kooky
  6. jeanann

jeanann New Member

I have breathing problems beacuse of the pain in my ribs. I think i breath shallow cause when the air fills my lungs and pushes on my ribs they hurt and i stop breathing in, then i get "starved" for air and take a deep breath. I hate it when it hurts to breath!!!!
    hope you feel better
    Jean Ann