Breathing question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by elliespad, Nov 23, 2010.

1. elliespad

elliespad Member

I posted this question on the Lyme board too. Looking for ideas. Does anyone have a GREATLY reduced lung capacity? I have been having trouble breathing, short of breath, airway constriction for a couple months. Went to my ENT yesterday. My airway is only 20%, not good. Did a Spirometry, wasn't good. Gave me inhaler of Proventil then repeated the Spirometry, still not good. Said these numbers would be typical of a 3 pack a day smoker. I quit in 1982 at age 24. My capacity is down 36%. Even using the inhaler my function only improved 3%, basically nothing. I feel like I can't breathe. I have not had Asthma previously and he is not saying I have Asthma now. Allergies yes.

He showed a LOT of concern. Went today for a CT-Scan on my chest. Going tomorrow for a Barrium Swallow as I had a LOT of acid burns. More tests for Sleep again, later, but he wanted a look inside my chest first. I've had thyroid surgery twice because of Goiter causing trachael obstruction. Mine grew below my collarbone. It feels very similar. But, those times, my lung Spirometry was good.

I'm trying to figure anything out that might be causing this, short of a mass in me. Don't want that. Have a couple ideas I will throw at him when I see him again next month. But does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks, and YES, prayer is welcome.
  2. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Ellispad,
    I don't have any ideas about your breathing problems, and I'm sorry about that. But I will send some prayers our way. I wish you all the best. Terry
  3. elliespad

elliespad Member

Thanks Terry and Jam for your good wishes. Been racking my brains on this and have a couple ideas. I was switched to Toprol XL about 6 or 7 months ago, and gradually developed breathing problems. The Pharmacist told me this was a common side effect as it is a Beta Blocker and there are Beta cells in the Lungs too. He wanted me switched back to Atenolol, that I had been on for maybe 25-30 years. So I got that switched. About that SAME time, that I switched back to Atenolol, I went to the Orthopedic for my knee and foot pain. Into the office a few times, by the time I got my Cortisone injection and followups.

The building REEKS of MOLD. Bothers me every time I go in it. OUr Hospital had to move their outpatient Physical Therapy (with large pool) out of the building as workers were getting sick.

I'm wondering if the Lung capacity problem is permanent damage from the drug Toprol XL, and if the severe airway inflammation is the the mold exposure.

What to do , what to do,,,,,,,

One thing for sure, I won't go back in the Orthopedics office again. Will see about going to one of their satellite offices in some of the hill towns.