Bridge Over Troubled Water requested by Findmind

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RockiAZ, Mar 16, 2006.

1. RockiAZ

RockiAZ New Member

Per Findmind's request (a good one if I might add) here are the lyrics to:

Bridge Over Troubled Water by Simon & Garfunkle

When you’re weary, feeling small,
    When tears are in your eyes, I will dry them all;
    I’m on your side. when times get rough
    And friends just can’t be found,
    Like a bridge over troubled water
    I will lay me down.
    I will lay me down.

When you’re down and out,
    When you’re on the street,
    When evening falls so hard
    I will comfort you.
    I’ll take your part.
    When darkness comes
    And pains is all around,
    I will lay me down.
    I will lay me down.

Sail on silvergirl,
    Sail on by.
    Your time has come to shine.
    All your dreams are on their way.
    See how they shine.
    If you need a friend
    I’m sailing right behind.
    I will ease your mind.
    I will ease your mind.
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I am so old I remember when it was new. Haha. I thought when it came out it sounded like a hymn. A few years ago I round a record in a thrift shop. All hymns plus BOTW.
  3. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I, too, can remember when it was new. I had to take the time to sing it through to myself. Given the way that I sing, it is lucky that it is late and there is no one out on the streets to hear. I think it was the first song to have a 'music video'. I used to be able to play it on the piano. It was one of my favorites that I had memorized. I don't thing I would have the energy to play those closing chords now.

A not so great memory -

When I was in graduate school, my Major Professor told me that his cracker minister had told them that BOTW was a drug song. That "Sail on Silvergirl" was a drug reference and I don't remember what other stupidities. Since he was a Southern "Good Ol' Boy" in his sixties and I wanted to finish my degree, I didn't say anything. I was really disgusted that he would expect proof of anything his academic colleagues stated, but would unquestioningly accept such rubbish from his minister.

P.S. For those who don’t remember, Silvergirl was the train the carried Robert Kennedy’s funeral cortege.
  4. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i remember my mom playing this song on our stereo when i was a little kid! i love it! thanks for posting the lyrics.
    rachel
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Greta oldie is Hot Chocolate "Put you topgether Again"

It starets out

"When you can't take any more"

It is a greta tune and Hot Chocolate are a great "group" as we called them then. Try and find it you may love it.

I always loved Simon and Garfunkle and play the guitar and sing this a lot

Also "Starry Night" about Van Gogh is excellent, wonderful tune and words.
    Love Anne c
  6. findmind

findmind New Member

I am so grateful for these words! I remember when the song came out and I had a daughter who was sick and these words were my song to her.

I did not know about R.Kennedy's funeral cortege being named (whatever it was...I forgot!).

Is there a website to find words to songs? I can't listen to music anymore, it drives me absolutely crazy, makes me very antsy..I seem to hear every single note separately and miss out on the whole melody and the words. CFS sure wrecks the brain.

How sweet of you to follow up for me...thank you, thank you, HUGS & a big fat kiss!

findmind
  7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

If you type in the name of a song, you will usually get the lyrics. Sometimes the music will be played.

Haven't tried typing in some ambigous names like: tomorrow, yesterday, trees, mother, etc.
  8. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

What a flood of memories this has started.

Starry Night ...
    by Don McLean, one of my all-time favorite singer/songwriters.
    from the album "American Pie", one of my all-time favorite albums (or tape or CDs or whatever).

His "And I Love You So" is one of my all-time favorite love songs.

I was in the process of converting my albums to tape while home on school breaks. One summer, my mother decided to get them 'out of the way' and put them out in the hot garage, stacked one on top of the other. I had not yet taped American Pie.

I loved just about every song on that album (except "The Grave" - listened to it once, and never again!) One of the songs could just about be the anthem for those with chronic disease. I hadn't thought about this song in years. I'm amazed at how much of the lyric (or a reasonable facsimile thereof) came back to me. The title completely escapes me. Filtered through a couple of decades of forgetfulness and influenced by the experience of chronic disease, part of it went something like this:

I'm all mixed up on the inside,
    No one knows quite what I've got,
    And I know that on the outside
    What I used to be, I'm not
    Anymore.

Can you remember who I was,
    Can you still feel it?
    Can you find my pain
    And can you heal it?

Then lay your hands upon me now
    And drive this darkness from my soul.
    For you alone can light my way
    And you alone can make me whole
    Once again.
  9. findmind

findmind New Member

Little Bluestem and I need a name to that tune...bet you know it!

Oh my gosh, what a flood of memories this has started because you looked up the words to that one song!

Keep it coming, folks, its us older ones doing this, but the younguns might look up this old stuff and fall in love with it like we did.

great stuff
    findmind