bright light therapy?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bluetrish, Jan 6, 2009.

1. bluetrish

bluetrish New Member

Does anyone have experience with using bright light therapy? White flurorescent lights in SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) lamps are supposed to mimic the sun in quality and quantity and therefore lift a person's depression and increase energy. However there's a caution on the amitryptilene that I take to help me sleep, to "avoid prolonged or excessive esposure to direct and/or artificial sunlight." I'm trying to decide which is better, to sleep at night or be awake in the daytime. I can't seem to do both. I'd appreciate any help. Thank you.
  2. KerryK

KerryK Member

I use a product by Philips called the goLITE which uses an array of blue LED's. I believe they can be bought at Costco. They claim research shows that is the most effective part of the light spectrum and it minimizes any potential damage to the eyes that full spectrum can cause. So far the results are interesting though it is still very early.

3. jole

jole Member

I too have SAD and was told to use the lights in the winter, but my PCP didn't know where to get them, or which kind was the best. I just know that winter is horrible for me....I simply hibernate, partly due to the cold making my pain worse, and partly due to mood. I rarely have an "up" day and live for spring to get here.

Will watch for more input***Jole***

4. ChuckNBerkeley

ChuckNBerkeley New Member

Light Therapy for Seasonal Affective Disorder with Blue Narrow-Band Light-Emitting Diodes (LEDs) .
    Biological Psychiatry , Volume 59 , Issue 6 , Pages 502 - 507
    G . Glickman , B . Byrne , C . Pineda , W . Hauck , G . Brainard

While light has proven an effective treatment for Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), an optimal wavelength combination has not been determined. Short wavelength light (blue) has demonstrated potency as a stimulus for acute melatonin suppression and circadian phase shifting.

This study tested the efficacy of short wavelength light therapy for SAD. Blue light emitting diode (LED) units produced 468 nm light at 607 ?W/cm2 (27 nm half-peak bandwidth); dim red LED units provided 654 nm at 34 ?W/cm2 (21 nm half-peak bandwidth). Patients with major depression with a seasonal pattern, a score of ?20 on the Structured Interview Guide for the Hamilton Depression Rating Scale-SAD version (SIGH-SAD) and normal sleeping patterns (routine bedtimes between 10:00 pm and midnight) received 45 minutes of morning light treatment daily for 3 weeks. Twenty-four patients completed treatment following random assignment of condition (blue vs. red light). The SIGH-SAD was administered weekly.

Mixed-effects analyses of covariance determined that the short wavelength light treatment decreased SIGH-SAD scores significantly more than the dimmer red light

Narrow bandwidth blue light at 607 ?W/cm2 outperforms dimmer red light in reversing symptoms of major depression with a seasonal pattern.

The findings suggested that light of short to medium wavelengths (blue/green/yellow) seem to be essential for the therapeutic effect of light on SAD. Red wavelengths were relatively ineffective.
  5. lorraineautumn

lorraineautumn New Member

i visit a tanning bed every week 1/2 or so. i always feel better after i tan, i find it very relaxing and rejuvenating
  6. bluetrish

bluetrish New Member

Thanks all. I'll ask my doctor about artificial lights and drugs. Kerry check out the link for different opinions on the safety of blue lights only.
  7. KerryK

KerryK Member

Bluetrish - thankyou for you helpful link.

In response, in the interests of fairness, I encourage reader to look at

Apparantly, they claim that the blue light spectrum they use is so narrow that the harmful near ultra-violet portion of normal blue light is elimated, and that the resulting ability to no longer directly view the light, its much lower required intensity, and reduced necessary exposure times take it out of any risk categories and make it safer than the alternatives.

I don't know what the truth is. I do like that this item is small, portable, and has no flourescent lights.

Good luck!