Bright light triggering migraines.....help??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by suz9601, Feb 23, 2007.

1. suz9601

suz9601 Member

I have had migraines for years but just recently I have figured out that bright light is triggering them. I have to have it pitch dark in my house and if I leave even sunglasses don't always stop it from coming on...Do you all have this as well? How does the light trigger them? I can't take these anymore, the pain is unbearable...thanks for any advice or suggestions on dealing w/this.

Suz
  2. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

a migraine. Sorry, but you have one already.

Common migraine chemicals are MSG (monosodium glutamate, autolyzed yeast extract, yeast extract, fermented soy [soy sauce]), sodium nitrate/nitrite, sulfites (fruit & wine preservative), tyramines (red wine & bananas).

The liver can break down sulfites into sulfates when it has sufficient molydenum. Sulfates are easy for the kidneys to pee out.

The herb, yellowfever helps some ppl with migraines.

Most chemical migraines cause vaso-dialation. Expands the blood vessels, then the vessel goes into a spasm, this is where the pain comes from. Glutamate causes an over-firing of the neurons so it sensitizes incoming sensory signals.

Ginseng & coffee is a vaso-constrictor. It helps me as an anti-dote sometimes. Also, liver detox helps the liver break the chemicals down. Celestial Seasonings makes a Detox A.M but any detox tea should help. It takes hours, but it does work.
  3. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I have read that magnesium can help.
  4. suzannekart

suzannekart New Member

I have had migraines for years. Sometimes it can be sunlight reflected in another car windshield, or on one of those glass buildings, or even on the surface of the water. I cannot go to a home improvement center and look at their light displays. That does it every time. I really don't know why it brings on a migraine. I always get the aura right after I see this reflected light. I have heard many interesting ways people try to stop the headache from coming. I think the strangest was a friend of mine who would get the aura and as soon as she did she would run very hot water in her bathtub an put her feet in the hottest water she could stand. She said it always stopped her from getting a migraine. I never tried it but I thought it was funny. I hope someone has an answer for this. Suzanne