Broke down and bought a CANE...anyone else?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TerryS, Feb 8, 2007.

1. TerryS

TerryS Member

I stay so dizzy and off balance. I felt a little silly buying the cane...I'm 46 and, of course, I DON'T LOOK ILL!!! Actually, if I don't manage to get makeup on my face (which is a common thing these days), I do look ill!

Anyhow, the cane really seems to help, even around the house. Maybe I won't be bouncing off the walls any more!

I'm taking a trip with my two daughters, as well as a friend of mine and her daughter, in about a week to Disney World. We're staying on the DW property so that I can go back to the room at will. I'm sure the cane will come in handy, but I'm thinking we may have to rent a wheelchair. I'm accustomed to lying down for a nap every afternoon, plus I can't seem to walk or stand for more than 20 minutes at a time. I'm afraid of what people will think if they see me getting out of the wheelchair...like I'm a fake. Maybe if I keep the cane with me and use it when I leave the wheelchair they won't think badly of me.

Anyone else use a wheelchair or cane???

TerryS

2. angelkisses6

angelkisses6 New Member

Hey sweetie i know how you feel when my family went to disneyland we had to barrow a wheelchair for me and i was soooooooooooo embarrased i thought i wont need it but i did and was i thankfull i had it,it helped me enjoy my trip with my family,i also need a walker everyday(ijust turned 48)yes i still get embarrased but we need it so its that or be on the floor a lot,loli cant walk 4 houses down without needing to stop,it helps talking to people that know what we are talking about thats whyu i love this site and the people here you couldent ask for better noone judges if you cant post alot and you can feel the kinship here,this place is a blessing,so when you use your wheelchair just remember the rest of us here that know where your coming from,so i dident mean for this to get so long sometimes i cant stop once i get going,lol Anyway enjoy your trip and know you are in my prayers and let us know how it go's take care.
  3. Calleigh

Calleigh New Member

I bought a cane last summer... it's quite beautiful actually, metal with tiny bright flowers (it was a toss-up between that one and the one with the butterflies). The best thing is that it's collapsible, so I'm able to keep it with me in my bag at all times.

I just never know when I'll need it... like yesterday. I was walking just fine (okay, not exactly 'fine') and then 'whammo', I felt like I had hit a wall... dizzy, weak, wobbly. Out came the cane and I felt much more secure! I'm very happy to know that it's always nearby.
  4. karinaxx

karinaxx New Member

i just had to buy a wheel chair and i know exactly what you mean.
    i use it in the moment only in the house, well was not able to go anywhere with yet, so this experience is still ahead of me.
    but in the house it is such a great help. i can cook and still be ok after the morning, usually had to lay down every 20 min. and was allways exhausted by the time i sit down for lunch. so it is allready a sucess and i dont get this extreem muscle weakness and fever in the afternoon.

also MS patients have to save their energy and use a wheel chair.

do what you have to do, to find some relieve with this DD and dont worry about others, they also would not understand if you walk and than collapse somewhere.......
    take care and hugs karina
  5. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

I think the hardest thing was my husband being embarrassed to be seen with me and the cane. At first he would say"leave it home and you can hold onto my arm." That was a joke. everywhere we went, it looked like I was a clinging wife and then he would step away and I was stuck without a wall to hold on to.

My physical therapist made me get one. I want butterflies on mine. I bought the ugly black one at walmart. I dont use it in the house but anytime I get on uneven surfaces or any dim or dark place, Im like a cow tipping over.

We took our granddaughter to the zoo last summer and I went from bench to bench. I made it through the zoo but I didnt have fun and I missed all of the good stuff because I couldnt get close to the areas. And I paid for it big time.

Get a wheelchair. Go on the Disney website and see if you can contact someone about renting a wheelchair there or someone here will have gone and will know. Ive heard that the handicapped go to the front of the line, including the people with them.

Im not embarressed with my cane anymore. {I still want to know where to get butterflies} Best of luck!!

Suzette
  6. m5shelly

m5shelly New Member

Hey, there are a lot of people out there with just bad legs that need a cane, so it didn't embarass me too much. It actually helps me travel because people see that and give me an extra hand. Something I wouldn't get without one at the age of 35.
    I bought a nice one that I don't mind using at all. If I am going to shop or have to stand for extended periods of time... there is no other option.
  7. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

I've got my own Durable Medical Equipment warehouse here. Ü

I know how you feel about it though, I hated the thought on having to rely on these things, but it comes right down to the fact that *I do need them*.

I got my first walker after I broke my pelvis ~ just the basic, stripped down model ~ no bells or whistles. Ü

When I had my first back surgery, they gave me a walker with wheels on the front legs ~ I was beginning to qualify for more "perks". Also got a cane for when I ventured out of my wheelchair ~ my insurance company *rented* it for me @ $50 a month. I kept it for over 3 years!! The silly thing only cost about $150, but insurance companies know best, right?

There are a couple of things that you are going to learn about being in a wheelchair. First of all, for you and going to Disney, it's a "magic ticket" that gets you to the front of all the lines. <grin>

On an everyday level though, there are basically two types of people you'll encounter. One group that will see the chair and assume that since you are sitting in it *nothing* about you works. If you're with someone, they'll talk to your companion instead of you; if they do talk to you, it will be very slow and very loud. Or they will go to unbelievable antics to try and pretend that you don't exist.

The other set of people you'll meet ~ I've found them to be the majority ~ just couldn't be nicer. They'll open doors for you, smile with you, help however they can. I don't mean the pushy type, but just sincerly nice and helpful.

A year after my first back operation, I had to have it re-done. This qualified me for the "platinum membership" in walkers. I'm telling you, this baby's a keeper. Ü

It's got four nice, big wheels (all-wheel drive???) A seat that can be used as a shelf also ~ great for shopping; also a basket on the front. Handbrakes too!! I laughed myself silly when I saw the brakes! So many silly scenarios came to my warped little mind!!

They are quite useful though. I learned that the very first time I tried to sit on the seat w/o the brakes secured. Ü My favorite use for them is when I'm going downhill ~ no! I'm not a speed demon. It's just that inclines kill my back. By slightly applying the brakes it takes a lot of the pressure off my back, legs too.

I also have a second collapsible cane, and a quad-cane. The quad cane is just too heavy to use. Couple of pair of crutches in the closet too.

I was like you when I first had to rely on my "playthings". I was 50 then, now I'm 58 ~ I'd say it took me about 4 or 5 years to really not give a hoot what people would think. I know I need it. For the past week I've been using my "platinum membership" walker just to navigate around my house.

Actually, the fancy walker is by far my favorite of them all. Having the option to sit whenever I need to is a huge plus for me (great for bookstores too), and all the "cargo room".... well, what can I say? Ü

Go for it, terrys, every little bit of energy that you can save is golden.

mar
    (the long-winded)
  8. jole

jole Member

I'm seriously considering it, but my arms are so weak I'm not sure that a cane is the answer.

We went to Disneyland with my son and family two years ago. We rented a motorized wheelchair, and I got along okay except that I was nearly run over by everyone and my hubby was upset with me for not being more aggressive with it.

There were a lot of places that I stayed outside while they went in because it would have been too much walking, even with a cane, so I missed watching them on the rides, etc. But I will never get the chance to go again, so it was okay. Wish I could have gone before this DD hit.

I spent one day at the condo by myself, and actually enjoyed the day reading a book by the pool. It gave me a day to recoup so I could go again the next day. I definitely couldn't do two days in a row there, just too tiring and over stimulating for me.

Hope you enjoy your trip, and remember, no one there knows you and are so busy having a good time that they won't think (or even) notice you. There were lots of wheelchairs and motorized scooters there, honestly. and lots of people got out of them to go into the buildings, so don't let that worry you - you won't be alone!! Just too much walking otherwise.
  9. ayhatch

ayhatch New Member

One in the car and one in the house. It helps my balance and when my right hip and leg are especially painful. I use it mostly for longer walks, like in a mall. But, from my house to the car I'm usually okay.
    Some days I feel like I need to be carried though!
  10. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

I broke down and got a cane about 3 years ago- I was 34. It was devastating to me. The first day with it was the hardest, answering all the questions at work- WHAT HAPPENED? Then trying to explain.. My standard answer became, oh, I've been sick for a while and sometimes I can't get around very easily..

Another suggestion, if you don't already have one.. is to ask your doc to fill out the papers for a handicap parking tag.. that has saved me a lot of pain.

I have 2 little girls and we took a trip to Disney World the week after Thanksgiving.. Walking thru the Magic Kingdom did me in for 2 days.. I was in sooo much pain.. The day we went to Epcot my sweet heart said - I'm getting you a scooter today.. It was the BEST decision.. I enjoyed my time in the park so much more -

If you are going to tour a few of the parks there, I'd suggest calling your hotel and finding out if you can rent a scooter for a week.. There were a lot of scooter places and I'm sure it's cheaper to do it by the week if you can haul it.

The scooter was 45$ for the day, and you got $5 back when you turned it in.

Be well.

Zzz
  11. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

terryS:

I bought a cane, too. I only would use it if my legs became too weak continue.

It may seem like 'step down' , but they really help when feeling awful.

And if you need a wheelchair: sure, why not?

And if you do not know about it. There are those motorized
    wheelchairs.

Do not fret. You just have a wonderful trip.

nyrofan
  12. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I use one, too. Usually only when I have to walk a lot like at the store. Sometimes I use it from the car to the house if I feel like I need it.

DH doesn't like me to use it either but he hardly ever goes anywhere with me so it hasn't been a problem.

I don't use it at home because our house is small and I can reach a wall or furniture if I need to.

I take the dogs out without it, too. I figure if I fall down in the hay field or in the house my DH will be there to help me or I can brace on the dog to get up. Besides, I can't take them both out on the leashes if I have a cane in one hand!

I've been using mine for about 2 months. Last night I stopped at Wal-Mart on the way home from my Red Hat meeting. I thought people were staring at me using the cane. Didn't realize I still had my hat on! LOL

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  13. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

I mostly use it when I'm going on trips or know I'll be walking a long way (what seems to be a long way for me). Yes, it is embarassing - I don't know why but it is.

Although, I must say that I blame others for the embarassment. I went on an airplane trip and the ride home, we had to go out to the tarmack and walk steep steps. I asked if there was a chair lift to use and the guy said yes, why? I said I needed to use it. He asked why. Believe me, I wanted to blurt out the most embarassing female problem I could think of just to make that guy uncomfortable but I didn't.
  14. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

My sons and I went to Disney World last summer. I was stubborn and didn`t rent a motorized scooter till the last day. I was so wore out by then.

I would mention it to your kids in advance because I didn`t. My kids acted surprised and kind of embarrassed that I got one. When we sat down to eat, I explained to them that lots of people with Fm or CFS use scooters in these parks. Then they were fine with it. They are 15 and 11 years old.

There is a lot to see but try to get some rest periods in there too.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/09/2007]
  15. TerryS

TerryS Member

I don't know how I managed to completely forget/miss this post...sorry!!!

Well, we went to DisneyWorld and had a GREAT time. I was with my two daughters (24 and 16), as well as a friend of mine and her 16-year-old daughter. We rented a wheelchair each day for $10 and they all took turns pushing me. I'm a control freak, and my friend was delighted to finally have total control over me!

The first day, I felt a little embarrassed initially, but no one seemed to look at me funny or think anything about it. And we were treated so well by the employees, as well as the other guests. We had the added perk of being put to the front of the line a lot of the time (especially at the Magic Kingdom).

We were there for four days and went to each park. When we got back to the hotel on day #3, everybody was totally exhausted. I felt horrible because they were having to walk all day long plus push me around...I was in better shape than they were!!! I told them that I would just walk the last day and use my cane. The whole group of them said "NO!". They said they wanted me to be with them and not getting tired out and having to go back to the room.

We've been back now for almost a week. We were all totally exhausted after getting back. I've been in terrible shape all week and having to use the cane just to get around the house. If I don't use it, I fall into the walls, etc. Oh, well...

I may ask my PCP next time I see him about applying for a handicapped parking permit...if I can get up the nerve.

Thanks for all of your responses!!! Think I'll hunt me down a butterfly cane!

TerryS
  16. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

Im in my 20's and Ive had to use the carts...or if they dont have those...wheelchairs...in stores if im in too much pain and i have to do alot of walking.

When I ride on the carts I get little kids staring at me telling their moms that they want to go on the "ride like that girl does"!

Ive had to use a cane off and on due to my sciatica. Its the only way that I could even walk around my house.

But I admit, I get really embarassed because I am so young and look like Im even younger than my actual age. Its almost like I feel like I need to wrap my leg up in something so people think that I injured myself.

But believe me....if I were going to Disneyland...you betcha id be gettin a cart!! I would never last!!!

Hugs,
    Steph

17. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I have been using a cane for almost 2 years now (i am 53). I have one I use daily and one nice black one for dress up.

Good luck with your trip. I hope your family is more understanding than mine was. We ended up "estranged" after a family vacation.
  18. TerryS

TerryS Member

What paper??? What do I have to take to the doctor?

TerryS
  19. HeartsinOhio

HeartsinOhio New Member

I have both and only use them when on long trips, like Cedar Point or a big Mall. I was only 47 when I started using them, and yes it is hard at first. You worry what people will think. Well you know what, I came to realize it does not matter one bit what people think. They are not you. You do what is best for you. I would highly recommend a wheelchair at Disney. It will make the trip much better and fun for you. Who cares if people see you get out and walk onto a ride or whatever. You do what you need to do to enjoy your day. You will reach a point where what others say/think just doesnt matter. You owe them no explanation. Have a great trip. My son will be down there too week of March 5th. Have fun!!! Pattie
  20. Dainty45

Dainty45 New Member

I went to Disney World for three weeks last year, it was a well needed break from normal life. Every park has wheel chairs you can rent, so don't worry about that. Usually the rentals are right inside the gate, The Magic Kingdom, you can rent one before you go in, they have a slew. But, I would advise you to go early, because they go fast. We always got to each park, a little before they opened, it was great! Every afternoon we went back to the resort, and took a two hour rest, or went in the pool, it was beautiful! Then we went back out in the evening, so we could do two parks in one day. I hope you have a good trip!

Take Care! I am also 46 years old, and I certainly don't care what people think, we have to take care of ourselves, for a change! SB