Bromelain keeps white cells counts down in cows!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jaltair, Dec 21, 2005.

1. jaltair

jaltair New Member

By Judy McBride
    November 23, 1999

Dairy producers could benefit from an enzyme supplement--for their cows. Bromelain helps keep the white cell count in cows’ milk down in the range that fetches a premium price, according to a recent Agricultural Research Service study.

Many commercial dairy cows lumber along with chronic infections of the mammary glands that push up the number of white blood cells in their milk, especially during the dog days of summer.

U.S. dairy producers get an extra 20 cents per 100 pounds for milk having a cell count under a specified level. That level ranges from about 200,000 to 300,000 cells per milliliter, depending on which state tests the milk. Producers can't sell milk with cell counts above the legal limit. In the U.S., that's 750,000 cells/ml. Canada and Europe have lower limits--500,000 and 400,000, respectively.

In the study, 75 grams of bromelain pellets daily in each cow’s feed reduced cell counts by 100,000 on average during each of two trials. What’s more, cell counts never surpassed the legal U.S. or Canadian limits when the cows got bromelain, as they sometimes did when left untreated.

The findings mean that with bromelain, producers could have more days with cell counts in the premium price range--under 300,000.

Bromelain is a mix of enzymes extracted from the stems of pineapple plants. It's sold in health food stores under claims that it combats heart disease, arthritis and many other maladies. In animals, it appears to reduce inflammation by interfering with the synthesis of prostaglandins and other inflammatory substances, according to ARS dairy scientist Max Paape in Beltsville, Md.

Now, white cells help to fight infection - not sure if it's so good for humans. Seems like it may act as a cortisone having an anti-inflammatory response and cover up infection!

Just a thought.

Jeannette
  2. tansy

tansy New Member

Interesting article: thanx.

Inflammation and immune function are linked; so what modulates one may result in a modulating effect upon the other. I used bromelain initially when treating coagulation, when that had a real effect some of my symptoms were related to an over reactive immune response. I was not aware of lowered immunity when taking bromelain, but I am doing a lot better using natto and turmeric both in terms of coagulation issues and inflammation.

love, Tansy

---------
    Extract from an article on bromelain on the World Health web site.

Bromelain is a natural anticoagulant that works by breaking down the blood-clotting protein fibrin. This may help to explain why results of at least two clinical trials suggest that the enzyme can help to improve the symptoms of angina and thrombophlebitis.

As well as thinning the blood, bromelain also thins mucus, and thus maybe of benefit to asthmatics and people suffering from chronic bronchitis.

There is also evidence that bromelain can trigger beneficial changes in white blood cells, and thus may improve immune function.

However, whether or not the enzyme would be beneficial to immunocompromised people has not been established clinically.

Bromelain has potent anti-inflammatory properties and therefore may be useful in promoting the healing of minor muscle injuries such as sprains and strains. Results of one study also found evidence to suggest that it can help to improve the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis. When applied topically it may help to speed wound healing.

There has also been some suggestion that bromelain has anti-cancer properties, although this has not been proven. Several recent studies have linked chronic inflammation to cancer, thus any anti-cancer action of bromelain could be due to it anti-inflammatory properties.

The enzyme may also enhance the effect of the antibiotics amoxicillin, erythromycin, penicillamine, and penicillin. In a study of people with urinary tract infections,100% of participants given antibiotics in combination with bromelain and another enzyme called trypsin were cured of their infection, compared with just 46% who received antibiotics alone.
  3. Juloo

Juloo Member

I've used this in the past as well. It was recommended a lot when I had chronic sinusitis.