Brother Update

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Greenbean7, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Thank you all for your prayers, they are much appreciated.

They have diagnosed him with Multiple Myeloma. Which I understand is a bone/blood cancer. He appears to be in stage 3, which is not good, but they are still trying to determine exactly how bad it is.

Because it has affected his kidneys so badly he had dialysis yesterday, today and will have it at least once over the weekend, twice if needed.

My sister had to leave work early yesterday and go home and take a valium. She is extremely emotional and I guess what you could call "fragile". Not physically, but emotionally. I will be going to see her and spend the night tomorrow night. We will go to the hospital Saturday early evening and on Sunday before I go home.

My nephew and his girlfriend will be at my sister's over the weekend and we will be trying to keep her calm. We cannot discuss my brother's condition (or really anything medical) because she begins to feel she has the same symptoms and gets extremely frightened. She know she does it, but cannot control it. She knows on one level that it's silly, but that doesn't make it any less of a problem for her. (She has no children and her dogs and partner are wonderful company and support and I am so thankful she has them!)

So please continue to pray for all of us. I will get together with my nephew and SIL to find out the prognosis and plans for treatment and fill you in on Monday.

Thank you again, it means the world to me to know you care.

2. budmickl

budmickl New Member

While the diagnosis isn't what you would like to hear, at least the doctor's know what is wrong and how to treat it.

Yes, it sounds like your sister and sister in law is going to need your love and support right now.

Lean on us as much as you need and want!

3. fivesue

fivesue New Member

God go with you this weekend. I will pray for strength and for wisdom for you and your family. I pray that the docs have a treatment for your brother.

And you sister...bless her heart! She must have such a hard time going through life. I'll pray for a peace for her, a calmness.

Eager to hear your report on Monday.

4. sisland

sisland New Member

I'm so sorry to hear of your Brothers Diagnosis!,,,,I will continue to Pray for your whole Family!,,,,Hugs! Sis
  5. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Sorry to hear that your brother is not well.

Washington state has a good reputation for quality medical care fortunately.

I put in "myeloma and washington" on the clinical trial site and got a bunch of active studies that are recruiting. Not that being in a clinical will necessarily be successful, but might help, etc.

I am inclined to go with one of the immunotheraphy or antibody trials if possible. Seems likely that your brother will be able to have a remission with current treatments.

Wishing you and your brother well, mr Bill

Perhaps you can print out a list of trials that are recruiting and give to his doctor.

[This Message was Edited on 01/11/2008]