Bruinz and Toques

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Redwillow, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Hey Bruinz:

I just noticed your comment to me about finding a toque to cover the whole body! LOL

I think that is called long underwear! You know the other Canadian clothing of choice for our long winters!

I will be unpacking mine as soon as I can remember where I put them away last spring!

I still think it would be easier to just hybrinate for the winter!

hugs Redwillow
  2. Bruinz

Bruinz New Member

I like your Canadian clothing of choice.... lol

Just think if Tim Hortons came out with long underwear...

How long would the drive thru line ups be then....

Hope your able to find where you packed your winter skin.

Bear hugs

Bruinz

[This Message was Edited on 10/19/2006]
  3. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Hi Bruinz

Really need to find those longjohns today Bruinz! It is getting really cold and damp here. No snow yet but definitely on the way!

I don't know about you but my pain levels are higher lately with all this cold rainy weather!

I will have to fire the wood stove up soon. Nothing like a wood fire to make you feel toasty warm.

hugs Redwillow
  4. Bruinz

Bruinz New Member

I feel the same way you do with this onset of cold weather.
    I am so stiff and sore that I would swear that rigor mortis has set in. I know it can't be that because the mirror fogged up when I held in under my nose. lol

It snows here a little during the night then melts during the day. The wind is causing me all kinds of pain and discomfort. It is so windy it's hard to keep a toque on your head......

Nothing like the smell of a wood fire. Do you have them all winter long.

I am not looking forward to the -30 degree temps. Hibernation should be a Canadian FM/CFS option.

Gentel Bear Hugs

Bruinz

5. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

I am glad that rigor mortis hasn't set in. Good idea to check though. You made me laugh with that one!

My family spends a lot of time in hockey arenas in the winter. Talk about cold!

Yes we heat with wood almost all winter. Since I am at home it is my job to keep the fire going so I don't freeze. That is my winter exercise walking up and down the stairs to the wood stove.

Keep you toque on and stay out of the wind!

hugs Redwillow
  6. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

It isn't too cold yet, about 8 today, but its pouring out. I'm sure you all know how the damp makes everything worse. I need to get my grimey self in the shower, but I cna't bear to steam the place up until the fire dries it out in here.

Nothing like a wood fire to chase away the damp. Too bad woodstoves are so much work. We use ours in the in between weather of the cold of spring/fall and part of winter, until it gets too cold, then we run the furnace.

I have dug out some of my longjohns for when I really need them.

Jeanne
  7. Bruinz

Bruinz New Member

You must get quite the work out going up and down the stairs to stoke the furnace. I hope you don't have to cut and split and haul all the wood into the house. Other wise we would have to change your name to "Red willow the tree slayer".

Remeber your "situpon" (Pillow) if you spend any time in those hockey areas. Those benches can be cruely cold and unforgiving.

Don't forget your Timmy's if you go for internal warmth.

Gentle Bear hugs

Bruinz
    [This Message was Edited on 10/20/2006]
  8. Bruinz

Bruinz New Member

Your right a wood stove is so comforting and warm. I get my warmth from my Jacuzzi Hot tub. I don't think I could live without it.

There should be a longjohn fan club. I know I would join.

Gentle bear hugs

Bruinz

9. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Hi Jeanne and Bruinz

Glad Jeanne you could join our Canadian "winter is coming" support group. Bruinz I like the idea of a longjohn fan club!

We do the opposite to you Jeanne, I resent paying the price of running the furnace so we use the wood stove as much as possible except this time of year when it is too mild to start the fire.

Of course we have to cut and haul the wood too... My husband does most of the work anymore. I used to do a lot of the hauling and stacking but I am mostly the 'supervisor' now.

I don't like him to go to the woods with a chain saw without someone for company in case of an emergency. I sit on the 4 wheeler and keep the dogs out of the way.

I still put some of the wood into the trailer but hubby doesn't allow me to do very much. I guess he knows I will be whining later if I over do.

Bruinz we recently treated ourselves to a hot tub! It is wonderful. Is your jacuzzi inside or out? Our hot tub is in the back yard so it is a bit of a cold dash this time of year (wait until the snow is on the ground!) but it is well worth it when you get there!

I can just picture myself this winter sitting in the steaming water staring at the stars with a toque on my head, and the snow falling all around! LOL

hugs Redwillow
    [This Message was Edited on 10/20/2006]
  10. Bruinz

Bruinz New Member

Hi redwillow!

How are you doing today?

I spent alot of the weekend marinating inside my Jacuzzi hot tub.

My hot tub is indoors which is better for my neighbours.
    That way they don't have to put up with a "Bare Bear" streaking threw the snow to get to the hot tub. If the neighbours were to see something like that the city just might lift the poaching law and make it legal. I don't think I need anymore holes in my head.

I think our winters are a little more colder here than yours. Have you noticed and good results after marinating
    in your tub?

Gentle bear hugs

Bruinz
  11. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Hey Bruinz

I am good today thank you. I made a trip to the herbalist yesterday so I am studing all about the new stuff I am taking.

I love my outdoor tub. I love my indoor tub too, I think I should have been born with gills, maybe cause I am a Pisces the fish, lol. Our indoor tub isn't a jacuzzi but it has a reclining back so I can lay there and read.

We live in the country and our tub is in the backyard. The only people that would see any streaking is my own family. Unfortunately I have 2 college students living here with friends coming and going at all hours so bathing suits are usually necessary.

What I love about the hot tub outdoors is that you can wallow in the warm water and enjoy the outside at the same time. At night the sky is so black and there are all the stars. In the day time there is the blue sky or clouds to watch plus the birds and the chipmunks.

My dogs love to putter around while I am soaking. Sometimes they think the tub is their new watering hole. I try to discourage that as I don't think the chemicals could be good for them and of course the dog fur clogs up the filters.

You were saying your winters are colder. You are in Winnipeg right? I find our winters here in southern Ontario are milder than they used to be. We get less snow but unfortunately more ice instead.

Hope you are having a good day too.

hugs Redwillow

[This Message was Edited on 10/25/2006]
  12. Bruinz

Bruinz New Member

I am glad you are good today.

Anything new and interesting from the herbalist?

You wern't born with gills? I thought that was part of the Canadian FM diagnosis. Check the 18 tender points and look for gills, then perscribe a Jacuzzi.

Your back yard tub sounds so peaceful and relaxing.

What is it with dogs drinking hot tub water. Mine does the same thing. How ever it is my fur that usualy clogs the filters. lol

Our winters in Winnipeg have been milder the last couple of years, but I am not going to cancel my subsription to "Better parkas and longjohn's".

Gentle bear hugs

Bruinz
  13. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Better Parka's and Longjohns, you always make me laugh!

I have two labs and of course they are water crazy. They follow me everywhere of course. They were fascinated with the tub water when they were young.

They got into the habit of drinking from the bathtub or licking the water off your arms while you are in the tub, etc. You have to be a dog lover to not get grossed out by that! I try to discourage too much licking as it defeats the purpose of having a bath! LOL

My yellow lab Jake lets you know when he wants a drink if the tub is empty. His favorite method is to put his front paws over the side of the tub when you are in the bathroom. Then he keeps looking at you until you turn the cold water tap on for a long drink. It is his own personal labby water fountain.

The herbalist is interesting. She has me on a lot of herbs and does muscle testing to decide what my body needs. I haven't posted here about it because it is hard to explain to someone who hasn't had muscle testing done and not everyone is comfortable with alternative therapies.

Yesterday was spent identifying some of the foods that I am sensitive to and started the process of eliminated the sensitivities.

She changed some of my herbs. She says the viral problems are all cleared up now, the yeast problem is almost gone, Yippee! and we are now adding some new herbs for better sleep, liquid minerals and some magnesium and malic acid.

So right now I am on Colostrum for immune, Adrenal Support, Milk Thistle for liver support, Fibralgia (malic acid and magnesium), and the new minerals and Melatonin Extra for sleeping.

hugs Redwillow

14. Bruinz

Bruinz New Member

Thanks for the laughs, you are a very funny girl.

Are all dogs the same? Mine is just like yours. I am the primary care giver to our hound. The rest of the family thinks that giving the dog fresh water means to flush the toilet. lol

Have you noticed very good results or just good results with the herbalist. How much does it cost?

Gentle bear hugs

Bruinz
  15. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

I am funny alright. But the funny strange kind of funny! You what I mean?

Giving the dog fresh water means flushing the toilet! That is too funny! Our dogs go for that one too! Kinda gross but then compare to what they eat outside that died I guess it isn't so bad. Better than the presents they barf up on the carpet later....

I used to go to a naturopath in the 80's (yes I am showing my age here) who did muscle testing and I had great results with him. (The man had the nerve to retire!) It took until now to find another person who practices the same type of thing.

So far I am seeing slow but steady results. Nothing that I can brag about but then as the herbalist says I didn't get sick over night so you can't expect instant results.

I have a strong belief in herbs and minerals. I was brought up on a farm and saw too many times that animals will treat themselves by eating what plants they need. Humans seem to have lost that wisdom. Maybe we need to graze in the fields with the cows!

My father's grandfather owned the same farm as my parents have. My father told wonderful stories of his grandfather digging up herbs and people coming to the door for their bag of herbs for what ailed them.

Unfortunately all that was lost for "modern" medicine. I wish I could 'Star Trek' the old gentleman here to give me some lessons. I am sure he would be appauled by the way we live.

According to my father he lived an very active life well into his 90's as a farmer. When he developed stomach cancer and wasn't able to treat himself anymore he gave himself an overdose of one of his herbs and passed peacefully.

hugs Redwillow
  16. Bruinz

Bruinz New Member

How are you today?

We have hard woods so the presents the dog leaves in the middle of the night is an easier clean up, providing you don't step in it and drag it threw the house. It's kind of hard on the flip flops (slippers).

The 80's were good years. You had your herbalist (how dare he retire on you), me I had my hair (80's hair). I love the hair of the 80's. Now if you were to go in and ask for your hair to be feathered back they would look at you as some kind of nut case. I also loved those leg warmers women used to wear. Now that I am sick I would even consider wearing leg warmers now..... lol

I agree, we could use and learn alot from your fathers grandfather,
    It would be great to beam him back. Let me know if you do.

How are the hounds today? Are they getting enough water?

Gentle hugs

Bruinz
    [This Message was Edited on 10/25/2006]
  17. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Hey I love your new profile! How do you think of the things you write?

The hounds are stuck inside today and not happy about it. I can tell by the big sighs they aren't impressed.

We have a machine (think it is called a cherry picker) here in our driveway cutting down a couple of huge trees that are dead.

They are too big for my hubby and his chain saw and besides they are near the hydro lines coming into our property.

So the hounds are stuck inside, no swamp water to play in, no walks, life in the labby world is just plain boring.

My black lab Murphy is a senior citizen, soon to have her 10th birthday. She decided this summer that she was NOT comming inside, NOT staying in her fenced yard, and generally NOT cooperating.

She always has been a stubborn dog. After trying to lift/shove her into the house a couple of times and hurting my back I decided to give her the freedom she wanted and fortunately she behaved very well.

I guess she is finally too old to run off anymore and she spent the summer sunbathing on the porch or mining a cool pit under the deck. If you hear a big crash it is probably the deck collapsing.

The yellow lab Jake who is my shadow had a tough time deciding where he needed to be. With me or with Murphy (he might be missing out on something you know) so I left the sliding door open and let the dogs roam in an out as they wanted.

Other than a few bugs it worked really well until the cold weather arrived. Now the dogs are trapped inside with me! Poor things.....

hugs Redwillow

18. Bruinz

Bruinz New Member

I love the part about your deck collapsing. lol

Sorry to hear the hounds are under house arrest. It must seem like an eternity to a hound. I guess they could always find nasal comfort in a familiar crotch in the house.

I hope for Jake's sake he doesn't miss out on too much excitment when he is out in the cold with Murphy. If your life is like mine, he won't be missing a thing....

Just remember to look atleast twice at all road signs that have me on them, I could realy use the money...

You are smart, hubby's and hydro lines don't mix. It starts oh so innocently, then it leads to massive amounts of cooking on the BBQ because all the meat in the freezer has thawed....... I have seen it happen too many times...

Gentle bear hugs

Bruinz

19. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Massive amounts of thawed meat! LOL

You should have been around last month when my side by side fridge freezer quit! Everything had to be carted to the fridge in the basement and all the beer and other drinks left out to get warm. Hubby and college age son were not happy!

The new fridge was delivered 2 days later (an appliance always dies on a Sat. night so there are no stores open until Monday) and I carted part of the meat back up the stairs.

The next morning hubby woke me up to the news that the new fridge wasn't working and everything in it was defrosted! Whaaaaa! Another fridge had to be delivered that afternoon!

Fortunately I hadn't carted everything upstairs. My Mom and I spent the afternoon cooking chicken, pork chops etc. Enough to feed us and the extended family for 2 weeks!

So the last thing I want is a tree dropped over the hydro lines and another freezer disaster!

I will definitely smile at all the road signs when I got out shopping tomorrow. The neighbours already think I am crazy anyway! I will try to do my bit too keep you in pocket change!

hugs Redwillow!
  20. Bruinz

Bruinz New Member

I am so happy you are supportive of my occupation. You have no idea the disrespect I get.

Do you have any idea how many people walk across the street even thou my hand is illuminated on the traffic sign. These people don't understand that I don't get royalties if they cross when the hand is up.....

Just the other day, my female counter part called in sick. We were scheduled to do the family restroom sign. I had to put on her dress and model for both charecters...

It's a very demanding occupation........

Your very unlucky when it comes to fridges. It's a good thing you left the tree and the hydro lines to the professionals. Thawed meat is bad, but warm beer is just so inhumane and totaly uncalled for. There should be a support group for something that terrible.

Have the hounds been released on the promise to appear in court? If not I have baked them each a large milk bone with a file in it. After a day in the slammer they are probably hardened crimminals. It is quite common for the bad inmates to get tattoo's when there in lock up. I would suggest checking their ears so you know what you are dealing with......

Gentle bear hugs

Bruinz

[ advertisement ]