Bruxism

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by debpuma, Sep 11, 2002.

1. debpuma

debpuma New Member

Hi....I am new to the message boards and have a question for all. I can deal with the day to day aches and pain plus fatigue from the fibromyalgia, can anything REALLY help the bruxism? I am currently talking both flexeril, and clonazepam at night.
  2. debpuma

debpuma New Member

Hi....I am new to the message boards and have a question for all. I can deal with the day to day aches and pain plus fatigue from the fibromyalgia, can anything REALLY help the bruxism? I am currently talking both flexeril, and clonazepam at night.
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Deb, welcome to the board. I don't have the problem with teeth grinding, but a lot of our members do.

It seems like it is part of Fibro, but I don't think it has been proven yet, but it has been mentioned in a few articles on CFS/FM.

Many use mouth guard for this. I am sure others will be sharing their experience with you.

Again, welcome to the board.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

I also have bruxism. I had braces for three years in my early forties and thankfully have to wear retainers, I'll put them in as soon as I post this....the retainers stopped me from grinding my teeth. dolsgirl
  5. Magnolia

Magnolia New Member

I have worn the caps off my permanent teeth and have worn the "teeth" themselves off my partial plate.

When I am going through a period of particularly SEVERE bruxism, I wear a mouth guard (not one of the expensive ones fitted by a dentist. It is one which my son purchased for me at the Sports store for $2.00).

I also have an ice pica which I have to give in to. I crunch ice all day long. I feel this partially helps with the need to "grind" my teeth. Of course, this contributes to the loss of my caps and teeth, but "a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do".

I feel that the bruxism is somewhat less pronounced that it was before I began taking a magnesium supplement.

Sincerely,
    Magnolia
  6. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Hello. I've worn a mouthguard for 20 years. I wear them out 1-3 years after I get them through cracking the extra thick form. I even crack my teeth wearing the mouthguard. (3 root canals in passt 1.5 years of pain is no fun!)

I got my first one at the local dental college when I was in grad school & couldn't afford much of anything. It wasn't all that expensive & the student who did the fitting was OK. If you have a dental school in your area you might call for a price quote. I can't wear the sports kind.

Best thoughts.

7. debpuma

debpuma New Member

My chiropractor has recommended something called ornithine before bed to relax the jaw muscles...anyone have any personal experience with this?
  8. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Yes, I've taken ornithine as part of an hGH secretagogue,and it did not help me one bit.
    I have a hard mouth guard for night time, made by an orthodontist. My TMJ is so bad I cannot even take a short nap without the guard, or the right side of my head will hurt so bad it makes me throw up.
    Clonopin and Xanax are supposed to help bruxism, but I take xanax and it doesn't help me in the dose I am allowed to have.
    I have read that brain injury can cause bruxism, and I had that too, in the accident that started my FMS.
    I wake up with my jaw clenched tightly and an awful headache around the bottom of my neck. It has been esp. bad lately, since I am very anxious and depressed at the moment. I don't know the solution, but a heating pad under my neck and a water pillow do help some, and I would not be able to sleep without my mouth guard.
    Klutzo
  9. kadywill

kadywill New Member

2 arthroscopic surgeries and a mandibular osteotomy to repair my TMJ and to correct my bite problems associated with it. This was 12 years ago and the pain is still there when I visit the dentist and have to open my mouth for a long time, or when I chew meat or gum, or if I'm anxious and I grind my teeth or chew the inside of my gums or lips. Very self-destructive pattern!

p.s. I wear a daytime lower bite guard and a nighttime upper biteguard. The nighttime one bothers me and I sometimes find that, in my sleep, I've taken it out and hidden it somewhere. I even have found it in the fridge, the oven, the trashcan and the litterbox!!!! (I got a new one!)
    [This Message was Edited on 09/17/2002]