(Buddhism) A prayer by Lord Buddha

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by springwater, Apr 9, 2009.

1. springwater

springwater Active Member

Ive just come (some 9 hours ago, hahahaha) out of a days long slump of being tired, lacklustre and soulweary (depression lol) and i was reading the depression board. I was struck with the amount of struggles some of us, so many of us, have to go through, and for how long some of these struggles seem to go on and drain the energy and seemingly life blood out of us...some posts touched me deeply. I wanted to say words of comfort but sometimes one finds oneself at a loss as to what to say. The one thing i can do is pray.

Also, Buddhism tells me even depression is good. How so? Because now, i can understand the suffering of another depression patient, empathise wholly with that person with total compassion because i myself know firsthand this suffering and the pain on so many levels it causes, how it colours the way we see life, dragging us down to depths we dont think we can ever come out of, indeed making us long to give up, lie down and just let go.

I find this prayer is just right for what i want to convey while praying for others..

PRAYER FOR FREEDOM FROM SUFFERING

May all beings everywhere plagued
    with sufferings of body and mind
    quickly be freed from their illnesses.
    May those frightened, cease to be afraid,
    and may those bound, be free.
    May the powerless, find power,
    and may people think of befriending each other.
    May those who find themselves in trackless, fearful wilderness--
    the children, the aged, the unprotected--
    be guarded by beneficent celestials,
    and may they swiftly attain Buddhahood.

The Buddha