Buddhism: Lovingkindness ~ Buddha & Sharon Salzberg

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by Rafiki, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

"In a well-known phrase, the Buddha said, "Hatred can never cease by hatred. Hatred can only cease by love. This is an eternal law." We can begin to transcend the cycle of aversion when we can stop seeing ourselves personally as agents of revenge. Ultimately, all beings are the owners of their own karma. If someone has caused harm, they will suffer. If we have caused harm, we will suffer. As the Buddha said in the Dhammapada:

We are what we think.
    All that we are arises with our thoughts.
    With our thoughts we make the world.
    Speak or act with an impure mind
    And trouble will follow you
    As the wheel follows the ox that draws the cart. . . .
    Speak or act with a pure mind
    And happiness will follow you as your shadow, unshakable.
    Happiness and unhappiness depend on our actions.

Buddha

~ Sharon Salzberg, Lovingkindness

[This Message was Edited on 02/02/2009]
  2. springwater

springwater Active Member

Aaah words of wisdom and truth.

It is there in my life to see to a certain extent. Me and my siblings all born into the same family, same situation. I worked to come out of it. Set goals. Set boundaries for myself not to cross. My brothers did the opposite. They just ran amock. Quit school. Did everything a delinquent could do. And now, Im in a somewhat stable place. They are still searching. Truly thoughts and actions have shaped our now.

Something to always remember as we go about our lives.

Thanks Rafiki.

God Bless

3. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Thank you so much for allowing us to learn more wise words and thoughts.
  4. jole

jole Member

I've read many of your posts, but replied to very few. I just want to let you know that I've always enjoyed what you've posted, and learned one thing....everything you say is so clean and pure, not unlike the good Christian way of thinking. No, we are not that much different!

Thank you....you are very insightful***Jole***
  5. Doznclan3

Doznclan3 New Member

I see the thought of forgiveness in this.
    Cynthia
  6. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I'm so happy that you enjoyed reading the suttas, quotes, etc., I've posted here. I'm very grateful to all of you for responding the way you have. It makes me feel fantastic to be able to share things that help me and sustain me. I'm also very grateful for the fact that everyone understands that I have total respect for everyone's beliefs.

Thank you all for being so openhearted.

Happy,
    Rafiki