))))Bunchy((((Re Zanaflex(others butt in please)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cromwell, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Hi I was reading a post from June where you had been put on Zanaflex and I was wondering how it worked. My pain doc today suggested I try it starting at really low dose, like 1mg. You have the same excrutiating symptoms as I do.

He suggested using it three times a day, but I note that others take it at bedtime. Also, should one take it say 1 or 2 hours prior to bedtime? I noticed that it says on webpage that it reaches efficacy 1 to 2 hours after swallowing.

Re Blood Pressure. I have fairly low BP, though not too bad mostly, and was a little concerned re the low BP issues. Anyone feel that a very low dose would cause this?

I read a lot of resposes to your letter Bunchy and wanted a little more feedback as I am so med sensitive, yet I cannot sleep and the neck pain is horrendous at the moment at night, seems to be when I lie down.

My pain doctor said it was safer in his opinion that Tylenol and also addressed FM pain well.

Love Anne Cromwell
  2. pam112361

pam112361 New Member

Anne: I'm butting in. I take Zanaflex daily. I take 2mg in the morning, 2mg during the day if needed (which is everyday), and 4mg two hours before bedtime. It does have a sedating effect but I do not notice it bothering me during the day, but then again, I have a high tolerance for meds.

Taking the 4mg before bed with my other meds helps me sleep much better than I was sleeping before (I'm also on a CPAP) and it does help with the muscle spasms.

Hope this helps.

Best Wishes!
    Pam
  3. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

1 or 2 mg may not make you sleepy during the day, but just to be sure try it when you will be home...not required to drive or work.(many docs prescribe this for muscle tensions and sleep aid)
    4mg at night will most likely make you sleepy. I take 4 mg during day to take a nap per dr suggestion and mine.
    I take 12 mg at night and in 1-2 hours I am asleep.
    I can wake up a few hours later if need be and it does not leave me groggy the next day. It helps my muscle spasms and keeps migraines at bay fro me too...I couldn't rest before Zanaflex.(the generic for Zanaflex is tizanadine)
    (it does give me dry mouth. No other side effects)
    (I had a sleepy study before it was prescribed...my dose has increased over the years.)
  4. lostmisty

lostmisty New Member

When I went on it I called it my saving grace. Before the zanaflex it was me and my cane. I couldn't walk across the floor in the morning. I take 4mg an hour before bed and occassionaly 1mg during the day though it does make me dopey.

I can't even imagine 12mgs o.0 That must be a peaceful sleep. :D

Oh and yes, rarely do I use my cane anymore. Zanaflex is my friend.
  5. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

I take 2 mg 2-3 times a day, and 4 mg at bed time. It helps me sleep, and helps me to be able to function, along with my other meds, without leaving me too groggy. I've tried a few other muscle relaxers, and this is the only one that actually helps, without knocking me out completely.

As for the low BP, I can't help you with that one, as I have the opposite problem with my BP.

Take care,

Leanne
  6. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

I take 2mg in the morning, it help's me relax enough for a nap 2hrs. later.

I don't drive or work, so I can do that.

I also take another muscle relaxer( Flexeril) at night that help's with sleep, along with melatonin.

Not sure if this was mentioned, but with me anyway, Zanaflex can lower your blood pressure, so stand up SLOWLY! It can make everything go black for a few second's.:)

Best wishes,

Claudia

7. jsholden

jsholden New Member

I take 4mg at bed time. It has been my saving rx. I was on flexril. That made me dopy. This works great. I am bad if I don't take it. I was a skeptic to my diagnosis. Now I see the difference with the meds. I have given in to the fact that I truly have fibromyalgia.